HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

No, I don't. And it's not a "concern", it's a consideration.

Eh, I suppose. I'd rather not worry about things like that though. Especially with all the other silly things we all spend money on. The reason I have this opinion is because I know people who are like this. They have every little detail figured out so that they can save $100 over a year.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My biggest question is, WHO CARES? If the power consumption of your TV and receiver is of that much concern then you probably need to make some major financial choices. I work and make money so that I can have such luxuries at home and not have to worry about what they cost. If I want to watch TV that bad then the price is what it is.
:amen

Reactions: xfoneguy
Eh, I suppose. I'd rather not worry about things like that though. Especially with all the other silly things we all spend money on. The reason I have this opinion is because I know people who are like this. They have every little detail figured out so that they can save $100 over a year.
And even more frequently, I have seen just the opposite, where people get in financial difficulty because they don't know where all their money goes each month due to many small residual expenses that they aren't aware of or concerned about. I'm not one of them but a good example is my tenant in my rental house.

And even more frequently, I have seen just the opposite, where people get in financial difficulty because they don't know where all their money goes each month due to many small residual expenses that they aren't aware of or concerned about. I'm not one of them but a good example is my tenant in my rental house.

Good point. That goes back to me saying that if a person is so tight on money that costs like that are affecting them then they need to make some major financial choices. Probably shouldn't have a bunch of TVs and satellite receivers in the house then.

Since Echostar does not spin down the HDDs, and is constantly looking for programming to record/timers, AND still sends a video signal out when "off" - in standby, what could possibly be different between "on" and "off/standby?" A single LED power on indicator?

I figure about 30W 24/7/365 and my rate about 13.5 cents yielding an annual electric bill of about $35. Less than ten cents a day.

Seems like overkill to me but I've always know that a lot of members here like to do things to the extreme with their setups. I've never added anything to mine and it sits in a narrow opening in my TV stand with an open front. Zero problems.

Could be overkill. But every time a Hopper hard drive dies the first thing you see here on the boards is that it is heat, so I could see people following the advice on this board that heat is an issue.

Reactions: stardust3
Could be overkill. But every time a Hopper hard drive dies the first thing you see here on the boards is that it is heat, so I could see people following the advice on this board that heat is an issue.

It's true, heat can be a major factor in receiver failures. If a receiver is in a cabinet with an open face it should be fine though. It doesn't hurt to check the temps once in a while just to make sure they are normal compared to others but that's about all you need to do. If it's noticeably higher than it should be then go right ahead and put a fan on it.

I know I don't seem to get lots of the issues I read about with my Hoppers that have cooling fans installed. I had a fourth Hopper for my kids room and it failed one time. He had his fan knocked off his Hopper lots of times.

Just curious but what's the wattage on the H2K and HWS?

I thought I had read that people had put Kill-A-Watts on hoppers and that they were not too much below 722(k)s. Something in the 40s.

Also, I'm on my third 722k since about April. The first 2 were not new from what I could tell. Both were evidently fan/heat related, but the receiver is in a stand that has open front and back with room for the side fan. The last one went a few weeks ago and it was not that warm in this old house.

It's true, heat can be a major factor in receiver failures. If a receiver is in a cabinet with an open face it should be fine though. It doesn't hurt to check the temps once in a while just to make sure they are normal compared to others but that's about all you need to do. If it's noticeably higher than it should be then go right ahead and put a fan on it.
The trouble is you can't check the temps on the new UI....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)