HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I've been trying to find some info on this. I saw a picture of the back and looked like it had two HDMI ports. Does it? If so, are they separate tuners?
The FCC filing includes a drawing of the back with the connections labeled. It only shows (1) HDMI port. Companies can't make changes later without updating the info they've supplied, possibly delaying the approval process, etc, so I really doubt it now has (2) ports. Even if it did, it would mirror the other HDMI, just like the composite and component connections do. Think about it - how would you control what is output and to which port ?

I will be updating to hopper 3 from 2 original hoppers (external sling adapter). I want to buy an external hard drive to start saving my recordings and my question is, does dish still limit the external drive size to 2tb?

The FCC filing includes a drawing of the back with the connections labeled. It only shows (1) HDMI port. Companies can't make changes later without updating the info they've supplied, possibly delaying the approval process, etc, so I really doubt it now has (2) ports. Even if it did, it would mirror the other HDMI, just like the composite and component connections do. Think about it - how would you control what is output and to which port ?

Ok thanks, not sure where I saw two HDMI ports.

I will be updating to hopper 3 from 2 original hoppers (external sling adapter). I want to buy an external hard drive to start saving my recordings and my question is, does dish still limit the external drive size to 2tb?
As of now, yes.

Yes.

How many Dish sales people know all about Directv equipment, Comcast equipment, and so on ? How many cable salespeople know all about Dish or Directv equipment ? I don't even talk to those people or if they corner me, I tell them I already have their service...

So interestingly enough I went to SAMs yesterday LOL "favorite store" the direct tv woman attacked again trying to convince me the new hopper would only have 8 tuners.

8 tuners? Next time pull up the info on it lol . When I go, I just say I already have it and they'll go away. The hopper 3 will be great. Love that it has 16 tuners. A house with 5 people could have 3 tuners a piece with prime time enabled.

I think it's the nature of the entire business that required a change in philosophy. The pay-TV market is already saturated and pushing the boundaries of price causing a wave a "cord-cutting". The "low-cost leader" battle cry rings hollow, even if they are slightly cheaper than the competition, when the entire business model is bloated with ever-increasing external upward cost pressures. So the paradigm has shifted to getting more than the competition offers for the same price.
Good Point.

I live by myself with a hopper with sling. Can't imagine having 16 tuners. Is that lack of imagination?
It depends upon your taste in programming. I have some family who are 4 big broadcasters and HGTV and a few of the channels like FX and USA Hollywood movies only, and they say nothing is on TV, which is why they use Netflix a lot, watching OLD junk aired via Dish years ago. In other words, they have a limited taste that is all cotton candy.

As a contrast I'm on all History, Smith, H2, AP, NatGeo Wild, NatGeo AmDest, Hallmark, Starz, Showtime, BBC America, even DYI and HGTV and Food, IFC, TrueTV, and on and on. I mean all over the place, except for the 4 major broadcasters who have nothing of interest to me, with more recordings than I can view for the next few months, but I do get to them, some as far as a year out (just a few). There is a lot of good TV and innovative series and non-Hollywood movies offered via Dish and other MVPD's that I have way too much to watch and have to pass (not ever record) on many TV programs that do interest me, but don't meet the bar for making a commitment to watch at some later time. I enjoy cotton candy now and then, but my TV viewing is far more open to many other things I enjoy.

16 tuners will also solve my live TV viewing being taken away to accommodate recordings because of the stupid pad that is necessary to record the entire program on Dish. I lost the State of the Union at lest 3 times because of that.

Funny, the night of the announcement I would have ordered right then. Now I am in no rush to order, and may not order at all. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts