HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

If i'm reading your post correct..if your hard drive is shot.. the external drive is going to be useless to... as you will not be able to transfer your recordings from your old hopper to new hopper..

I suppose it depends on the natur of the hard drive problem. In my case, it is doing many crazy things, but is still functional. Thus, I was able to transfer over 2,000 recordings over to my EHD and my internal HWS drive is now empty.

I was going to wait until the 28th to see if my free Hopper replacement could possibly be a Hopper 3, but I lost function of all my remotes AGAIN this afternoon and I'm growing weary of it, along with other problems.

From what I've been told, I'd probably have to pay for a Hopper 3 installation & cannot afford that. So I'll probably decide to just ask for a new HWS to replace this one ASA)P.

I have not seen anything to make me think content providers aren't going to use H265, just like they did H264...

I dont think VP9 comes into play to be honest with something like broadcast TV.

Without VP9, I'm beginning to suspect the H3 may be the 922 of our day.

The faster and wider VP9 spreads, the more the pressure will mount.

VP9 is a codec. While I understand that Dish might not want to provide it in the future as ChadT41 shows in his post above, why can't VP9 be added in a firmware upgrade if Dish decides it is necessary?

Dish normally never upgrades on receiver replacements, just ask for the upgrade. Doesn't matter that your existing Hopper is not working.

edit: added a word

Last edited:
Dish never upgrades on receiver replacements, just ask for the upgrade. Doesn't matter that your existing Hopper is not working.
Not always true. I agree with your assessment, but for awhile there they were automatically upgrading H1's with HWS, as there were no 2k's in stock. After refurbing, they got their stock back, but it was interesting seeing people upgraded.

I have a Hopper 1 and Joey 1 (jumped on it so quick it was the first Hopper install my tech had ever done, and he needed to call in his supervisor).

Both the USB 2.0 ports on the Hopper are in use, one for an EHD and the other for a Sling Adaptor I'd previously purchased and used with my old 722.

Three questions:

1. The Hopper 1 required an externally powered EHD. Will the Hopper 3 also, or will it have the grunt to power a portable 2TB EHD?

2. Any ideas as to what I can do with my soon-to-be-unneeded Sling Adapter?

3. Upthread, people say Dish will automatically replace my Joey 1 with a newer Joey that can better handle the Carbon UI. What model remote comes with the new Joey?

External rules the same.
The Joey can come with a 52.0 or a 40.0 according to an installer that was posting here a couple days ago.
Sell the sling. I still have one more I need to offload somewhere. I donated the other two to a customer to improve his experience, from this website.

Tempting. If pricing holds true and sticks for a while it is almost a no brainer for me. Right now 2 HWS & 3 J. 1 HWS mirrored to the workout room using component cable run. Could upgrade to H3, 2 2.0 J & 1 4KJ. Been meaning to drop a Joey as two bedrooms get light use and are right next to each other could take the Joey back and forth when needed. Need the H3 where my mirrored HWS is for the component output. I also send analog out to my AVR Zone 2 for my deck speakers for music when entertaining. Would want the 4KJ for the MBR because I want PIP/SWAP (only if Swap function is available, if not, forget the whole thing can't live without SWAP, well can, but don't want to). One 2.0 J would go to the kitchen/dining room and 1 2.0 J shared between the boys bedrooms. Most interested in speed increase on Joeys. Kitchen/dining room TV is SOOO slow you have to push buttons and wait till the cursor moves before you can push the next button. HWS at both locations still really fast like they were when they were new. The new setup including the dropped Joey would reduce my bill by $9 a month I believe.

"A" rated customers who upgrade via the DISH'n It Up promotion will not be charge a "Technician Visit Fee". Also, the $15 fee was lowered to $10 some time ago.:)

Maybe it was just us that always charged the tech visit fee even if they were Plan A. We relied on that fee in order to actually make money on an upgrade.

Maybe it was just us that always charged the tech visit fee even if they were Plan A. We relied on that fee in order to actually make money on an upgrade.

I hear you. If you have to pay an installer to perform a DIU, it's hard to do more than just break even.
Fortunately, I'm still able to do the majority of my jobs.

Reactions: JSheridan
I hear you. If you have to pay an installer to perform a DIU, it's hard to do more than just break even.
Fortunately, I'm still able to do the majority of my jobs.

Most customers were willing to pay it because they wanted local people to do the work. We only did upgrades as a service to our customers and hoped they would buy other products from us as a result. If they wanted it done as cheap as possible I had zero problems giving them Dish's number.

I just thought of a negative for some customers. All the people that opted out of the new service agreement with arbitration, must opt in for an upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)