Hopper - Dish inserted Ad's skipback/skipforward issue

seminole2001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Earth
First off let me say how pissed off I am that Dish has started to do this.

One on the many benefits of Dish was that you could avoid all the local car dealer and lawyer ambulance chaser local ad’s on the national networks.

With that said I've found a bug...

This bug applies to live, delayed (in the buffer), and DVR’ed content.

Situation goes like this:

1.) Content in playing.

2.) DRV will see that a Dish ad is on the national feed of the channel (PPV promo, premium movie channel promo, etc) and switch to a recoded ad on the Hoppers HD.

If you skip backward (10 second) while the inserted ad is playing:

A: On live TV (or DVR buffer delayed) : the channel locks up. You have to channel up/channel down to get picture back.

B: On DVR content, the recording stops and you are forced to restart the program from the beginning (super annoying).

If you skip forward (30 second) while the inserted ad is playing:

A: On live TV (or DVR buffer delayed) : it takes multiple skips (2 – 4) – 30 second skips to get past (1) 30 second commercial.

The sinister side of me thinks that Dish is not getting paid unless there is a full impression of the Ad they insert. So they want you to view them so Dish get’s paid.

The other side of me thinks that this is Dish situation normal with their software, I.E. buggy from the start.

Either way this needs to be fixed.

An opt-opt for inserted Ad’s would be nice too.

If I see the Ladies Depends ad one more time I’m going to kick someone’s dog.

I have not had the pleasure of experiencing what you have with inserted ads, but have seen an inserted ad for something to make cows put on weight.
Buggy software from Dish? Nawwww!
I'm inclined more towards your other explanation. Ads may pay some of the bills but there are things that I will NOT buy, ever, because I detest the ads so much.
And I don't think we will hear from Dish if your explanation regards the way they get paid is right or not....

Thank you for this information. The ads should not be causing this issue and I will be sure to pass along this feedback for you.

On live TV (or DVR buffer delayed) : the channel locks up. You have to channel up/channel down to get picture back

I experienced this either last night or the night before, it was the cattle ad with the rancher in the diner .. I'm so sick of this insert, I skipped back to play the real ad and the channel went blank. I just powered off my Hopper with my remote and powered it back on and everything was normal again. I haven't experienced it yet with DVR recordings.

I'm assuming the ads are inserted via broadband internet ? If so I've noticed something else since the S520 update on the HWS when I order something on demand, my speed starts off really slow, try, it'll take me 4,100+ hours (4-5kb/s) before I'm able to watch the program. It'll linger like this for about five seconds and start to work itself up to the speed that matches my internet speeds (35/40 mbps) I've never had this issue before S520.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)