Hopper Question for a Dish Tech

spf8298

Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Nebraska
I currently have a VIP722k, 211 HD receiver, two 301 Receivers, and America's 120+. I'm considering switching over to the Hopper. I have a couple different questions about this switch. First I will tell you about my setup: my VIP722 feeds my main floor family room on TV 1, and TV 2 feeds my bedroom. I've also mirrored TV 2 on the VIP722 to run in my bar and/or my Exercise room, which are both in my basement. The 211 HD receiver runs my family room TV in my basement. As stated, I have two 301's, one is in my shop which is adjacent to my house, and the other is a spare that I've kept around in case we go camping. So…..my first question is, what do you suggest is the best setup for me if I switch to the Hopper setup? I'm understand that I'm probably going to lose the capability to have the two 301 receivers. Can someone give me a little direction. Thank you.

Shaun

I suggest you provide two things:

1. Which TVs are HDTVs.
2. Which TVs need independent viewing. You can mirror the others.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I currently have a VIP722k, 211 HD receiver, two 301 Receivers, and America's 120+. I'm considering switching over to the Hopper. I have a couple different questions about this switch. First I will tell you about my setup: my VIP722 feeds my main floor family room on TV 1, and TV 2 feeds my bedroom. I've also mirrored TV 2 on the VIP722 to run in my bar and/or my Exercise room, which are both in my basement. The 211 HD receiver runs my family room TV in my basement. As stated, I have two 301's, one is in my shop which is adjacent to my house, and the other is a spare that I've kept around in case we go camping. So…..my first question is, what do you suggest is the best setup for me if I switch to the Hopper setup? I'm understand that I'm probably going to lose the capability to have the two 301 receivers. Can someone give me a little direction. Thank you.

Shaun

To echo what Navychop said, a little more info helps. Without that, it appears you have a total of 6 televisions, right? If I go on the assumption that you would have independent viewing at every single TV, you would need the following setup:

2 Hoppers, 4 Joeys (that will provide 6 independent tuners)

Right now, fee-wise, you have a $7 DVR fee, and three $7 receiver charges on the bill (the 722k isn't billed extra). So, your fees are $28 extra over programming. If you go to the setup I mention, the costs will be: $12 whole home DVR fee, $12 for the second Hopper, and four $7 charges for the Joeys. That will be $52/mo in fees, that is $24 more than where you're at now. So, you can see if you go all independent TVs, you'll pay a lot more.

When you go Hopper/Joey, you have to go all in, can't keep any of the old receivers active. Well, that said, you can have one purchased 211 series for RV-type stuff.

Mirroring TVs. Folks here will have great advice for that. For the Hopper/Joey system, that's not something Dish is going to do for you, so you'll be on your own, relatively speaking (with the assistance of folks here). A lot of that will depend on viewing habits and which TVs are HD.

All of my TVs are HDTV. The only TVs that I need independent viewing on would be the family room tv upstairs, family room tv in the basement, and the tv in our bedroom.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Here is what I recommend. Hopper for the Living Room, Super Joey for the Basement, Joey for the Bedroom and mirrored to the Bar and Exercise rooms. Then purchase a 211 receiver for your shop that you can also use for travel. You may be able to purchase a second 211 for travel if you wish to keep the one 211 at the shop at all times.

Fees would be:
Whole Home DVR: $12
Super Joey: $10
Joey: $7
211: $7
Total: $36

If you are willing to spend an extra $2 a month you can get a second Hopper instead of the Super Joey and it would add a 6th tuner for you. The second Hopper is what I actually recommend the most.

Here is what I recommend. Hopper for the Living Room, Super Joey for the Basement, Joey for the Bedroom and mirrored to the Bar and Exercise rooms. Then purchase a 211 receiver for your shop that you can also use for travel. You may be able to purchase a second 211 for travel if you wish to keep the one 211 at the shop at all times.

Fees would be:
Whole Home DVR: $12
Super Joey: $10
Joey: $7
211: $7
Total: $36

If you are willing to spend an extra $2 a month you can get a second Hopper instead of the Super Joey and it would add a 6th tuner for you. The second Hopper is what I actually recommend the most.

Scherman,

Considering you are a Hawkeye fan, I don't know if I should even take your advice! Just kidding.....In all honesty though, your advice sounds like my best option. If I skipped out on the 211 receiver it would basically be a wash to upgrade to the hopper. Thanks for the info

Shaun

Go 'skers.

Scherman,

Considering you are a Hawkeye fan, I don't know if I should even take your advice! Just kidding.....In all honesty though, your advice sounds like my best option. If I skipped out on the 211 receiver it would basically be a wash to upgrade to the hopper. Thanks for the info

Shaun

Go 'skers.

Good luck Bugeater. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)