Hopper with joeys have 2 flaws/ Don't Upgrade to a Hopper system

We have 3 -55 inch HDTVS and a 42 inch HDTV which is in our son's bedroom. In my sitting room I have a 55 Sharp Aquos and nothing else but the stupid little Joey box that the tech installed on a very short coax so I have it sitting on to of 2 rubbermaid totes that we used when moving.
Both the tv and the Joey are plugged into wall oulets that do not have surge protector cords on them.Every night between 1am and 1:03 am, as the my Joey gives me 1- 10 second warning that it is going to update and only 1. Even when I press NO it still does it. We had this crap installed on Jan 31st,2016. We moved in the night before at 10 pm. We lived with our daughter's family for the last 1 &1/2 years helping them overcome some challenges. We bought the house they picked ( Which is a split level) and when they were ready we sold it to them. We are very happy to get back to a 1 story house with an attached garage and even though this house needs major updating and a lot of things don;t work right this house doesn't bother nearly as much as this Dish equipment problem. My house at least has good bones. I could care less about all this great tech stuff people keep referring to. All I would like is a tv sytem that I can see and control the update time

We had Dish from 2011 to June 2014. We had 2 duo DVRs 1 SD, the other HD. I liked them. The one thing I like about Dish is the remote, it's like a familiar friend.
I guess we never thought about newer Dish Eqipment not having the features it had before. To me it's a downgrade, but I'm not a tech savvy person. I wouldn't give up my Tracfone for anything and I hardly ever use it. I also love my landline. After having to put up with DirectTV for the last 1 & 1/2 years I was so excited to get Dish again that I overruled my hubby who actually likes Directtv better.

I have mobility issues which affects more than my legs, so can someone please explain what they are talking about when they say the Hopper 3 has no lists or view options?

Thank You all for your responses. I very much appreciate them.

Read my post - in the Carbon UI which is now on the H3 - there is NO nightly update interruption. Don't understand what you are saying - Dish has listened to all that complained & finally fixed it.
Very true - and I am very happy about that one little change - no more "split-recordings" or sitting in the dark, waiting for my program to come back on. WooHoo!

Reactions: loverainbows
I have mobility issues which affects more than my legs, so can someone please explain what they are talking about when they say the Hopper 3 has no lists or view options?
That was a throwback comment of mine (my schtick) from when the original Hopper first came out in 2012 (and all Hopper versions since) and I was lamenting the fact that the Hopper UI's use icons (tiles, pictures) for the DVR "list" instead of the previous ViP receivers (like the 722, 625, 211) which use a sortable text-based list for the DVR contents menu.

So, it looks like the solution for you on the 1AM forced update is to go to the Hopper 3 as others have pointed out doesn't force the update anymore, and for text readability the older technology ViP receivers might be better for you. Quite a conundrum, as the older ViPs would cost more in outlet fees with the number of TVs you have, and not give you whole-home integration.

Last edited:
Hopper with joeys have 2 flaws/ Don't Upgrade to a Hopper system
This must be a joke.... The Hopper/Joey system has existed since what, 2011, and these so-called "flaws" have existed since day one. It's not like this is a ground-breaking discovery made yesterday and hundreds of thousands of Dish customers will be saved from this travesty !

There is no single solution for all people when it comes to television.........or anything else. If the Hopper (or DISH, for that matter) doesn't work for you, don't get it or get rid of it. If those are the only two flaws with the system, then they won't present much of an issue for most people.

I think this thread was just for the OP to vent some of their frustrations. I hope that it has served that purpose.

Move on to something which better suits your needs. :)

Reactions: loverainbows
...We had this crap installed on Jan 31st,2016...

With that attitude, I'm sure you would find DirecTV a better place to go...

If you can't wait for the new interface, solving most of your problem, you might find that it is worth swapping out to the Hopper 3, even if they charge $150 it's less that the cost of terminating your contract.

I tested the new software on the Hopper you have. Its all fixed. This is a non issue, just wait for the update.
Direct has the same issues, so I would go test a system out before switching as it is a new Two year contract.

From the start you are incorrect. A screen will come on alerting you a shutdown is about to occur. You get the option to continue watching or not, comes on about every 20 minutes or so.
...which I would find to be even more annoying. It is better to just let the Hopper shut down, wait 20 minutes or so, and be done with the nightly update for the night, unless you are in the middle of watching something that you absolutely have to see the end of.

Reactions: Troch77
This must be a joke.... The Hopper/Joey system has existed since what, 2011, and these so-called "flaws" have existed since day one. It's not like this is a ground-breaking discovery made yesterday and hundreds of thousands of Dish customers will be saved from this travesty !
No joke

Thanks for all the input.

I wouldn't get DIRECTTV again if they paid me.

Actually the DVR icons or pictures instead of text doesn't bother me.

My Joey shuts down every night between 1am & 1:03 am whether I press yes or no to the shutdown & I only get 1 ten second warning,no more.

I am not making this up. I guess the best solution is just to quit watching tv again.

I have enough problems without having to deal with this.

I guess the best solution is just to quit watching tv again.

Well, that sucks. How about wait for the new GUI on your Hopper, or switch to the H3? Remember what ScottChes said in post #28.
I tested the new software on the Hopper you have. Its all fixed. This is a non issue, just wait for the update.

Thanks for all the input.
I wouldn't get DIRECTTV again if they paid me.
Actually the DVR icons or pictures instead of text doesn't bother me.
My Joey shuts down every night between 1am & 1:03 am whether I press yes or no to the shutdown & I only get 1 ten second warning,no more.
I am not making this up. I guess the best solution is just to quit watching tv again.
I have enough problems without having to deal with this.
Nobody said you were making things up, my Hopper 2's & Joeys used to shut down every night between 1-1:30 as well - until the NEW software. That's what we keep saying, the new software will eliminate that problem for you so just be patient until it is released to the older Hoppers. I complained about the update for 4 years (the Wireless Joey actually rebooted twice, was really frustrating).

Nobody said you were making things up, my Hopper 2's & Joeys used to shut down every night between 1-1:30 as well - until the NEW software. That's what we keep saying, the new software will eliminate that problem for you so just be patient until it is released to the older Hoppers. I complained about the update for 4 years (the Wireless Joey actually rebooted twice, was really frustrating).

What about timers? If I have a movie set to record between, say, 12:30 am and 2 am, and I am using the new H3, will the new software update pop on at 1 am and ruin my recording?

With the 622 I have now, the software update trumps my timer setting and I lose my recording, but that's not a problem because there is an easy fix: I just change my update time from 3 am to 3 pm.

What about timers? If I have a movie set to record between, say, 12:30 am and 2 am, and I am using the new H3, will the new software update pop on at 1 am and ruin my recording?

With the 622 I have now, the software update trumps my timer setting and I lose my recording, but that's not a problem because there is an easy fix: I just change my update time from 3 am to 3 pm.
The H3 does NOT interrupt anything - live or recording.

Reactions: peggy97850
Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)