Hopper with Sling: Is the integrated "Slingbox" upgraded from original Hopper?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Is there any difference in the standalone Sling adapter (for original Hopper and 722k, etc) and the integrated Sling adapter in the "Hopper with Sling" ?

I've read that the Hopper with Sling includes a "Slingbox 500" and the older standalone Sling adapter is using an older version, etc.

Anybody have any information on this?

EDIT: It's probably just my imagination, but at 800 Kbps the video streaming from Hopper with Sling to my iPhone looks FANTASTIC. I don't remember my older Sling adapter (with original Hopper) looking quite as good but it could be my imagination.

EDIT2: Also, when using the Dish app on my iPhone and starting a stream from the Hopper, the stream seems to start MUCH faster than the older adapter. It seems to take 2-3 seconds for the video to start playing where the older one took 10 or so seconds.

Last edited:
Is there any difference in the standalone Sling adapter (for original Hopper and 722k, etc) and the integrated Sling adapter in the "Hopper with Sling" ?

I've read that the Hopper with Sling includes a "Slingbox 500" and the older standalone Sling adapter is using an older version, etc.

Anybody have any information on this?

EDIT: It's probably just my imagination, but at 800 Kbps the video streaming from Hopper with Sling to my iPhone looks FANTASTIC. I don't remember my older Sling adapter (with original Hopper) looking quite as good but it could be my imagination.

EDIT2: Also, when using the Dish app on my iPhone and starting a stream from the Hopper, the stream seems to start MUCH faster than the older adapter. It seems to take 2-3 seconds for the video to start playing where the older one took 10 or so seconds.

It's faster because of the new dish app and new servers being used. I have not heard about any differences between the external and internal sling, nor have I heard anything about a slingbox 500 being inside.

Hmmm, what do you mean by "new dish app" ? Are you talking about the iPhone "Dish Anywhere" application? If so, I don't think it's new, is it?

Also, what did you mean by "new servers" being used?

(Sorry for the questions, I'm just not sure what you meant)

Thanks!

Hmmm... I'm looking on my iPhone right now and I see "Updated: Jan 16, 2013".

That is interesting if the speed increase when streaming video is due to the new application... I thought it was the new Hopper that was causing it to start so quickly, etc.

Hmmm, what do you mean by "new dish app" ? Are you talking about the iPhone "Dish Anywhere" application? If so, I don't think it's new, is it?

Also, what did you mean by "new servers" being used?

(Sorry for the questions, I'm just not sure what you meant)

Thanks!

I believe the new iPhone app uses new servers and not the same Sling servers used by the old DRA app and maybe Dish Online. The server change is what is speeding up loading/processing tasks.

I believe the DRA app was rebranded as Dish Anywhere and the last update for iPhone that I see is Jan 16 as well. Dish Anywhere launched this month, I think it was made public at CES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts