Hopper working with RG59 run throughout house

isaacmorseMI said:
But, fishes like that are included in that fee. Easier fishes normally do not have a fee attached. Just because you won't do it, dosen't mean a tech in his area won't.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

You are correct, just because most techs won't do it doesn't mean no one will. By drilling through a fire break, it requires a drill bit generally 4-5 ft long. And someone with the skill and patience to not send the bit barrelling out the side of your wall. And you want this done through 2 stories of wall. So unless you have a way to get in-between those floors, your now looking at a bit around 15', the tech has about 2 inches between each side of the wall, not to mention he can't see a dang thing down that far.

Any FSM would say the same thing, dish network does not need unnecessary damage claims. The wire would be ran through an outside wall, unless the existing cable could be tied to and pulled through.

1 wall fish per RECEIVER location is included with installation, this does not include fishing through fire breaks. Yes a CSR will tell you 'yes we can do that' and slap a $50 custom work charge, because its their job and they usually know nothing more about the system than what is on the computer screen in front of them. And fishing through a fire break would be totally done on custom work. But when you throw in another room ontop of it that limits access, its not happening. Just like most techs will not fish an outside wall because you cannot safely get to it. Sure it can be done by someone with the right tools and knowledge, but that's not the majority of dish techs.

Last edited:
But, fishes like that are included in that fee. Easier fishes normally do not have a fee attached. Just because you won't do it, dosen't mean a tech in his area won't.
I don't care if they are included in the fee, doesn't mean were going to do it. I can guarantee you that not many techs are going to sit there and spend all day trying to fish that line and probably cause damage. Of course you think just because you a pay a fee you get anything you want..... nope.

Sure it can be done by someone with the right tools and knowledge, but that's not the majority of dish techs.
I resent that comment. Everyone at my shop has the tools and knowledge but we have pph and other jobs to worry about then doing a 3- 6 hours fish. So it's not because we don't have the knowledge of how to do it.

knot said:
I resent that comment

There are 25 techs in the office I work in and I would say maybe 5 of them could do a wall fish through a fire break. I'm not pointing fingers or putting anyone down, just stating my observations.

In fact, when dish launched their ancillary services, they only trained 20% of their techs for the services.

For those able to, the biggest factor usually is time. Too many people to service, not enough hours.

As my statement was about fishing an outside wall, what exactly would you use for that? Make your hole for your wall plate and drill up? Cause you can't really get a drill above the header if you can even make it to the header.

I've done only 3-4 outside wall fishes but not on dish time, for friends and family. I would never do it at work. Way to time consuming. Only 2 story fish done was interior walls where I had to drill the hole for the plate and a access point below the ceiling, access point in the room above then go into the attic and drill into the cavity. Lets say that won't ever happen again.

There are two issues: is RG6 needed?; should Dish installers do the work. I can only address the first issue.

RG6 and RG59 are both 75-ohm coax cables but have different loss vs frequency and DC resistance. Both are critical for connections between Hopper and the node (and between the node and dish). If the the loss (for all frequencies involved) and DC resistance for a given run of RG59 is LESS than both figures for a max run of RG6 (200') it'll work fine.

E.g., RG6 has about 23 dB of loss at 3 GHz. RG 59 has about 29 dB so RG 59 should be no longer than 150 feet. DC resistance of 200' of copper coated steal center conductor of RG6 is about 5.6 ohms. That's about 115 feet of copper coated steel RG59 or 540 feet of solid coper. You'd be limited to 115' of copper coated steel RG59 due to DC resistance or 150' of solid copper RG59 due to high frequency attenuation.

You could also replace the RG59 with RG6 except in the wall that you can't fish new cable through making a short run of RG59 that shouldn't cause problems. You'd need to calculate loss and resistance for the RG6 and RG59 sections and add them together making sure the total is less than 200' of RG6 copper coated steel center conductor.

I like the suggestion of using the RG59 as a pull string for new RG6 cable but if the existing path takes bends or the cable is stapled to the studs, that won't be possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts