How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are all these HD VOD movies that have been downloaded so that I can (refuse to) watch them taking up space on my DVR's hard drive? Does this lead to less space for my own recordings?

So, channel 501(s) finally showed up yesterday...but no I Am Legend. Just a bunch of $4.99 SD-VODs that I'm sure were already there. :(

Update-

After 24 hours, my new 722 has several channel 501 VOD movies ready including the infamous elusive "I Am Legend" and it is listed as 1080p. The ironic thing is, my 622 which is connected with HDMI to a 24P display projector still has L512, obviously no VOD channels at all. I suppose I could swap the DVR's and may end up doing that anyway.

FYI- I have no phone line and I have the 722 connected to the ethernet.

Trying to watch I Am Legend in 1080p. Dialog box comes up and says my set is not compatible.

I have a Sony A3000 which is 1080p/24, so it IS compatible. Called Dish 4 times. They bumped me up 2 levels and I was told that the problem is with my set and there is NOTHING that they can do about it.

Argggggg.........................I HATE THIS !!!

It''s the same VOD that we've had for a long time, but now you don't have to go looking for it in the menus. It's mainly just a way to increase buy rates.

(Not to put words in P Smith's mouth.)
Thanks for the response, but I was under the impression that the VOD that's on 501 is different than Dish on Demand (Movies and More). Dish on Demand is empty on my 722 and the "501" VOD channels don't exist on my machine. I've got L610 though.

Some of you people ought to know better. This is Dish Network we're talking about here. :eek:

The same company that thought their own customers were stupid enough to pay $4.95 for an SD VOD title, with limited access, not in letterbox, couldn't be recorded to the customers part of the HDD and was often available on the regular PPV for $3.95 or in some cases even the premium channels for no additional cost, where they could save it forever to their HDD.

Therefore I'm sure it's not a huge leap for them expect these same stupid customers will pay $7 for a 1080P title they will probably have available cheaper from a half dozen other sources that offer a whole lot more flexibility over how and when theywatch it.

Update-

Reminder- 722 with L612 and I have 501 with I am Legend 1080p.

Receiver #2 is 622 and only had L512.

About an hour ago I received an autometed phone call from Dish Network informing me that my 622 has recently been uipgraded and it may nolonger be able to see HD channels. I think I heard the message correctly so I prepared to give dish a call as I turned on the 622. Surprise! Not only was I unable to see HD channels, all my channels were gone except for the PPV bill board channel 500 and the info channel 101. Everything else produced a screen that said my smart card was not authorized to see the channel. WTF???
So I did a hard reboot and after going through the satellite checks, the channels, all of them returned. PLUS- I had a large number of 501 VOD but no 1080p I am legend.
Maybe tomorrow...
Getting closer.

Just remember if your 622 receivers go dark after you get L612 do a hard reset and see if that CPR's your smart card.

Wow rather trailer parkish the way that Dish has handled the whole I Am Legend rollout.
You would think that with the way that they are touting it that it wouldnt take them half a month to get it friggin done.
Add to the that the fact that CS and Tech dont seem to know shite about it.
What a joke.
STILL NOT AS BAD AS CRAPPY TIME WARNER but getting close.
LOL I am calling CS now and when I told her about I Am Legend in 1080p PPV she said "through PPV or actual programming?"
"we do currently have it in HD I am not sure if its the 1080 or not"
LOL

Thanks for the response, but I was under the impression that the VOD that's on 501 is different than Dish on Demand (Movies and More). Dish on Demand is empty on my 722 and the "501" VOD channels don't exist on my machine. I've got L610 though.

Wrong. Same thing just in a different place.

Well...

If the 501 channels are the same as Dish On Demand...

And you've got nothing IN your Dish On Demand...

...wouldn't it stand to reason you wouldn't have any 501 channels?

On the other hand, I have 15 movies and DISH on Demand AND 15 501 channels.

(But still no I Am Legend. :( )

From a logical point of view, why would they be different? Why would they display some movies in the guide and bury the others in an application menu?

Does anybody understand the technical reasons for why the TurboHD software rollout is occurring sporadically to select customers, instead of all-at-once?

I am still waiting for my 622 to be TurboHD updated (to L612 version). From a very elementary view, it would appear to me that the satellites would just send the updates, and all receivers could upgrade at once. Each receiver would determine whether it was a success or not. Maybe I am not making myself clear. I just do not understand why the upgrade is being done to limited receivers and occurring over weeks of time, rather than just the 'big bang' and do them all at once.

Is there lotsa folks having trouble that have 1080p TVs and get the "TV is incapable to support the the 1080p" when you try to rent the I am Legend movie? I have noticed a few post with Sony TVs not working. How about other TVs!!

Does anybody understand the technical reasons for why the TurboHD software rollout is occurring sporadically to select customers, instead of all-at-once?

I am still waiting for my 622 to be TurboHD updated (to L612 version). From a very elementary view, it would appear to me that the satellites would just send the updates, and all receivers could upgrade at once. Each receiver would determine whether it was a success or not. Maybe I am not making myself clear. I just do not understand why the upgrade is being done to limited receivers and occurring over weeks of time, rather than just the 'big bang' and do them all at once.

They probably were doing their tech support dept. a favor; imagine if all the people who have been experiencing bugs with L610/L612 (i.e. everyone, haha) had to call during the same day? Chaos. I think the weekly approach is damage control.

What I've been asking myself is, why can't at least one of their techies/programmers take a 722 home with the new software and actually use it for a couple days to observe and work out the obvious problems? Wouldn't that be easier than releasing buggy software and trying to release fixes after the fact?

Well...

If the 501 channels are the same as Dish On Demand...
And you've got nothing IN your Dish On Demand...

...wouldn't it stand to reason you wouldn't have any 501 channels?

On the other hand, I have 15 movies and DISH on Demand AND 15 501 channels.

(But still no I Am Legend. :( )

From a logical point of view, why would they be different? Why would they display some movies in the guide and bury the others in an application menu?

Are the movies in your "Dish on Demand" (under DVR menu) the same as what is in your 501 series of channels (that are called Video on Demand)? That's the logical question I'm asking...;)

Install advice requested when moving

Bizarre Center Ice/Dish Network issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)