How do I get started

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So another update things have stalled since I lost my job and was unemployed for almost a month so money it tight for the time being but on a good note I was able today to get about 75ft of ribbon cable at this old garage. Would had more but the primestar installer cut the cable to tap into the cable line when 6ft up the line it looked like that spliced two ribbon cables together. Had that not been done I would had been able to get about 125ft of cable so I have 75ft, 7ft and 6ft of cable so that's one more thing off the list.

So another update things have stalled since I lost my job and was unemployed for almost a month so money it tight for the time being but on a good note I was able today to get about 75ft of ribbon cable at this old garage. Would had more but the primestar installer cut the cable to tap into the cable line when 6ft up the line it looked like that spliced two ribbon cables together. Had that not been done I would had been able to get about 125ft of cable so I have 75ft, 7ft and 6ft of cable so that's one more thing off the list.

Do you need more ribbon cable?

I think I have everything but the receiver and pole which it seems to be impossible to find locally cause no one has 3.5in just 3 or 4in.

That's odd I got a guy that sells 3.5 OD perfect for them I bought a 8ft for $43 bucks. I believe it's black iron pipe

I've been wanting to get a cband dish for a long time and I think I might be able to finally get one. The dish I'm looking at appears to be a 8ft and I'm thinking about getting a Linkbox 9000i with a Titanium pill LNBF. How's the best way to get everything going like finding the information for my location to adjust the dish and figuring out true south?

Most everything we watch is on 4 satellites, 97W, 99W, 101W, & 103W. These satellites are relatively close together, so I set poles in a straight line and put a dish on each pole. Three of the dishes are stationary, one is movable just in case I want to snoop around for programming we'd be interested in watching on another satellite. I tied all 4 dishes together with a DiSEqC switch which lets the receiver see all 4 satellites at the same time so all the channels can be watched without moving any of the dishes.

This configuration takes up a strip of yard about 70 feet long, which some people don't have but it works for me. My wife loves it since she doesn't have to use the motor drive at all. Since these 4 satellites are in a relatively close orbit, it doesn't require a large portion of clear sky to see them. Now that Luken is on one of those 4 satellites, I don't need a dish pointed at their old orbital slot. It's nice to see a new person interested in FTA. It's a good hobby. I installed BUD's for 30 years, but FTA is relatively new to me as well.

You came to the right place for help. There's a wealth of information among the members, and I still rely on them myself. Welcome, to the hobby.

Got the pole finally installed today. Ready to have this up and running

Attachments

• IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1432.JPG
    IMG_1432.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: FTA4PA
How long should I let it cure before putting the mount on it? I've seen anywhere from 24 hour to a week. Also what grease should I use on the actuator?

Little more progress today. Got the mount on the pole and painted. Removed the old actuator and started to put the new one one when I realized the pivots are frozen up so I need to spray them to loosen them up and get a new bolt to mount it since the old one and a different setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 164
Any advice on freeing the pivots? I've soaked them in a rust remover and took a Dremel to it and sanded it the best I can and there both not budging

I've been soaking it in PB Blaster for a day now and both pivots still not moving so looks like I'm at a stand still again until I can free them up or somehow find another actuator.

Are you referencing the mount pivots points or the ball joints on the actuator? If on the actuator, buy a new one from Venture or Von Weise if the ball joints don't freely rotate after a few days soaking.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.