how many hd channels can i get with an 811 and no hd package?

richmert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
I have the everything package but have been avoiding the 811 because i am getting my OTA HD from a MYHD card in my computer and i cant justify even 10 dollars a month for five channels. I an pretty sure I read somewhere that since i subscribe to all the movie channels i will get the HBO and SHO movie channels with the 811 without subscribing to the HDTV package. is this true and if so how many other channels would i get in HD by simpky hooking up an 811? I am in the los angeles area and get my CBS from LA so i am assuming I will get that one. The last time i talked to a CSR i was told that i can get the 811 for free so i am thinking about getting it just for the movie channels if this is all true.
While I am asking silly questions maybe someone can confirm something i saw on TNT last night. is TNT broadcasting the Xfiles in HD? I am thinking I would like to see that. Can any Xfile fan tell me if its worth the 10 bucks a month to see the Xfiles in HD?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to satellite guys! We are glad to have you aboard.. I can not personally answer your question but I'm sure one of our resident experts will soon...

richmert said:
I have the everything package but have been avoiding the 811 because i am getting my OTA HD from a MYHD card in my computer and i cant justify even 10 dollars a month for five channels. I an pretty sure I read somewhere that since i subscribe to all the movie channels i will get the HBO and SHO movie channels with the 811 without subscribing to the HDTV package. is this true and if so how many other channels would i get in HD by simpky hooking up an 811? I am in the los angeles area and get my CBS from LA so i am assuming I will get that one. The last time i talked to a CSR i was told that i can get the 811 for free so i am thinking about getting it just for the movie channels if this is all true.
While I am asking silly questions maybe someone can confirm something i saw on TNT last night. is TNT broadcasting the Xfiles in HD? I am thinking I would like to see that. Can any Xfile fan tell me if its worth the 10 bucks a month to see the Xfiles in HD?
Thanks in advance.

Wellcome to the satellite guys!! This is one of the BEST places on the NET!!

You will get HBO, SHO and CBS in HD well Cbs if you have a second dish pointing at the 148 SAT that is. As for TNT HD.. It is getting better but as far as the X-files that is one of many shows on tnt that is not truley HD. It is however getting much better with more HD all the time. Also upconverted shows look better (to me at least) then 480i shows anyway. Now is it worth 9.99 a month for the HD pak?? That is a good question. For some yes for some no. Me my self I love SPORTS so ESPN HD is great! Discovery HD and HDNET are very fun to watch but i think they need more content but for the first few months fun to watch.. Also sorry i forgot to tell ya that all shows are upconverted to 1080 i so not true hd but still looks much better then normal 480i. Where i live we have CBS and PBS OTA in HD so i am HD starved and will take what ever i can get.

Since you subscribe to AEP you would receive HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. And since you live in LA (a CBS O&O market) you would qualify for CBS-HD A second dish pointed at 148 (for CBS-HD west) or 61.5 (for CBS-HD east) would be required along with the appropriate switch. You will have to call E* and request they add CBS-HD to your account in order for it to show up.

As far as the HD Pack being worth it? It's a individual preference thing, I like it.

When you get an 811 you may be required to subscribe to the HD Pack depending on how you got the 811.
If you purchase the 811 full price you probably won't be required to get the HD Pack (check with your retailer to make sure)
If you purchase the 811 at a reduced price (possibly free) you will most likely have to commit to the HD Pack for a period of time (1 or 2 years)
If you leas the 811 you will most likely be required to subscribe to the HD Pack as long as you lease the 811.

Along with the second Dish you must qualify to receive CBS-HD on Dish. You need a waiver or to live in an O&O or white area.

NightRyder

thanks for the information. i already have a dish pointed at 61.5 so i should be good to go for cbs. i didnt really think about it but now that you mention it the 811 they were offering me must have been on a lease and i never asked about program committments. im sure there is some kind of committment with a free reciever ill have to call and ask. thanks again.

I'll have to 2nd that the X-Files are indeed not in HDTV on TNT-HD. TNT-HD upconverts it and streches it a little bit to widen it to the 16x9 aspect. But its not HDTV.

With your 61.5 dish you get the CBS-NY and you get the Dish Network's HD demo channel. The HD demo channel is really dated the last time I looked, talking about the "state-of-the-art" 6000 receiver and QPSK adapter.

thanks cyclone
i kind of figured that since the xfiles werent produced in hd and most likely not on celluloid that it was an upconversion of 480i stuff. too bad. i would have paid the 10 buck a month to see scully and mulder go at each other.

I hope this helps, it may have been converted to HD and if so the PQ would be much better then the orig. also I had Dish and I switched to VOOM now I get 36 + HD and I get TNT HD and it rocks and with VOOM you can look at it in 4.3 or 16.9.

Thanks for everyones help. I am thinking about getting a 921 from dishstore and watching movies until there is more compelling content being beamed to me.
does anyone know if a 921 will work with just one feed and if it upconverts everything including SD to 720P and 1080I? I guess I have to go to the 921 forum for that.
As I mentioned I have a card in my computer that upconverts everything to 720p and it looks much better on my hdtv than coming straight from the 510 into the tv and i am hoping both the 811 and the 921 will have the same effect. Hey since this is the 811 forum maybe someone can assure me that the 811 will upconvert everything and that it will look better.
thanks again.

Both the 811 and 921 will upconvert. You can just leave them in 1080i mode if you like. Some people prefer to switch out of that mode for standard programming to watch shows in their native resolution. You'll have to decide for yourself. Also, the 811 OTA tuner seems to be is less sensitive than others. You may not be able to get all the channels you presently get with your myHD card unless you add a signal amp.

richmert said:
Thanks for everyones help. I am thinking about getting a 921 from dishstore and watching movies until there is more compelling content being beamed to me.
does anyone know if a 921 will work with just one feed and if it upconverts everything including SD to 720P and 1080I? I guess I have to go to the 921 forum for that.
As I mentioned I have a card in my computer that upconverts everything to 720p and it looks much better on my hdtv than coming straight from the 510 into the tv and i am hoping both the 811 and the 921 will have the same effect. Hey since this is the 811 forum maybe someone can assure me that the 811 will upconvert everything and that it will look better.
thanks again.
I have experimented with external scaling units and the external units do a much better job of up-conversion than the 811, especially in regards to aspect ratio control. Also, up-conversion can improve your picture, but it can't give you true HDTV.

Here's some ok articles for newcomers:
http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/hdtv/95x5.htm
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

Jason

Thanks for the information and the articles Jason. So what you are saying is that the 811 and 921 do upconvert everything but other scalers do a better job right?
what kind of external scaler are you using? i was looking at the new DVDO scaler but dont want to spend that much money unless my results are really noticeable.
do you happen to know if the 921 will work on 1 feed?
thanks again

richmert said:
Thanks for the information and the articles Jason. So what you are saying is that the 811 and 921 do upconvert everything but other scalers do a better job right?
what kind of external scaler are you using? i was looking at the new DVDO scaler but dont want to spend that much money unless my results are really noticeable.
do you happen to know if the 921 will work on 1 feed?
thanks again
What I am stating is that in my opinion external scalers do a better job. I have tried the DvDo iScan Pro & HD units, the Centerstage unit, and the Zinwell unit. My favorite was the DvDo iScan HD, but at $1,600 I couldn't justify the cost to my boss/wife. :D

I only tested the scalers I did not own them. I had the iScan HD about 3 weeks or so.

Jason

thanks Jason. everything I read about the Iscan HD unit makes me think it would be a nice addition and I read about a powerbuy over on AVS forum for about 1100 but still thats a lot to shell out for a scaler. Was your pitcure 1100 dollars better with the Iscan? How did you get to test it for 3 weeks? is there a special dealer that does that or is that DVDO policy?

richmert said:
thanks Jason. everything I read about the Iscan HD unit makes me think it would be a nice addition and I read about a powerbuy over on AVS forum for about 1100 but still thats a lot to shell out for a scaler. Was your pitcure 1100 dollars better with the Iscan? How did you get to test it for 3 weeks? is there a special dealer that does that or is that DVDO policy?
$1100 bucks better? Well to be honest that's a matter of opinion and it's hard for me to say yes not knowing your picture preferences...i.e. sharpness, bold colors, etc. or your budget. I also do not know if your using a CRT or fixed pixel display as results may vary between them. I have seen units that were traded in, cheaper and with warranty.

Here are the items I felt were benefits: Using the iScan HD provided superior control over aspect ratio, the iScan HD can up-convert to 1080P (progressive scan) if your display can support it, DVI pass-thru and output, and the iScan did a super job up-converting legacy equipment. I found the best benefit running my JVC SVHS, an old Sony DVD non-progressive scan, and a DP 301 receiver. However when comparing the output of the up-converted Sony verses my Samsung 1080i DVD player there was no noticeable benefit. Also I felt that running a DP301 (best @ 720P) looked much better than stock but really didn't look any better than a DP811 @ 1080i. Of course the iScan had better edge definition but is it worth a grand for these enhancement benefits? I would recommend visiting an authorized dealer and have a demonstration. From this point you could decide whether or not it meets your expectations.

No there is no trial period. The 3 week loaner was out of a friends home theater. The other units were loaned from a friend who is a retailer.

Hope this is informative,
Jason

thanks Jason that was very informative. that was exactly the information i was looking for. so now i will definitely try the 811 or 921 without an external scaler and see how things go.
oh i am using a fixed pixel display. a jvc HD-ILA. right now i have a 510 hooked up to it and an xbox and my computer with a MYHD card for high definition OTA reception. i am pleased with the upconversion the computer is doing but am wondering if i can do better. of course all of those issues you mentioned, sharpness, color and all else are important to me but i'm not a perfectionist(haha i keep telling myself that). if i could clear up some of the edges on the games from the xbox it would be nice(you dont happen to be a game player do you?) and if i could improve the SD signal even just a little bit it would be nice. oh and i could use a better aspect ratio for sure. the set i have does some bad things to the picture with the native ratios.
Thanks again. i will definitely try to find a dealer nearby and see one for myself. the DVDO website says they are releasing a new one i think its the HD+ or somthing like that.
thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts