How to correctly mount and aim a 24" dish

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I want to make sure my dish is as peaked as it can possibly be. I live in Northern California, the satellite is 12 degrees above the eastern horizon (according to my installer). I have rain fade, bad.

I have an upgraded 24" dish. I recently had to repeak my dish because some wind must have slightly, ever so slightly moved the dish. After climbing up on my roof and looking at the dish, I have to wonder about a couple things.

The dish assembly is made up of a dish, and an arm with the actual receiving element mounted on it (is LNB the correct term?). The dish can be aimed, and I believe the angle of the arm can be changed. How do I determine the correct angle of the arm in relation to the dish? Does it really matter?

It just seems like the SLIGHTEST movement brought my signal from 85 to 95, and I wonder how I can improve by possibly changing the angle of the arm. Maybe I shouldn't even bother, I don't know, thats why I need to ask.

ANY tips are greatly appreciated.
THANKS!
--Dan

I am not an installer, but here is one tip: go to the Installation Wizard and open the screen called "Aim the dish" or something like that (don't remember exactly). It will show the signal meter and will give you the buzzer that you might be able to hear from the roof while adjusting the dish. Or, better, have someone read the meter readings to you over the phone or walkie-talkie. Anything above 95 is good!

Yep, thats what I did to get a 95 strength. But as soon as it starts raining or getting real cloudy I get rain fade. I am trying to combat this issue as best I can.

If it wasn't for the new dish rumored to be released soon, I would upgrade my dish and LNB to some of the fancy high gain stuff that satellite specialty shops sell. A CSR told me via email that the new Sat. leased in Oct. should help with rain fade in my area (northern Cali.) Maybe BS, I don't know.

--Dan

If you have a 24" dish and a clear LOS, you should be able to do better than 95. Keep trying!