HR22 no Internet Connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

awickedtruth

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Illinois
3 Days ago I ran a wired ethernet cable from my router (NetGear WPN84) to the top port on the back of the receiver. I have ran thru the network set up and everything shows up okay and it shows I have a network connection but no internet connection. I read thru the forums and tried everything I can find but nothing I do seems to help.

I have the UPNP activated so that should not be a problem. I know the connection is live as I've tried a laptop plus a cable tester to verify the connections are accurate.

Is there any other trick to get the internet connected on this receiver?

Thanks in advance for the help

3 Days ago I ran a wired ethernet cable from my router (NetGear WPN84) to the top port on the back of the receiver. I have ran thru the network set up and everything shows up okay and it shows I have a network connection but no internet connection. I read thru the forums and tried everything I can find but nothing I do seems to help.

I have the UPNP activated so that should not be a problem. I know the connection is live as I've tried a laptop plus a cable tester to verify the connections are accurate.

Is there any other trick to get the internet connected on this receiver?

Thanks in advance for the help

Is the receiver getting an IP address in the DHCP range of your router? Check more info tab in system menu. You might try restoring defaults in network setup and Connect Now and reply back.

HEY, thanks for the welcome. This site has so much information it is unbelievable.

I checked under more info and there is an IP address (168.254.7.58). There is also a subnet mask but the default gateway and DNS are blank.

Also STB Services Port has an error 301 and couple of lines below it says the network is connected and one line later an error 13 on the internet line (not connected).

I spent about an hour with Directv last night and they had me put 4.2.2.2 in the DNS under advanced set up but that made no difference. I was told they would send a software update to me but to expect it to take up to 7 days. This does not sound right and I figured the guy just waned to get me off the phone.

Again, thanks for all the help.

The 169.x.x.x means you're not getting connected. Maybe your router firewall is blocking connection. Do you have access limited to trusted MAC IDs or limited the number of DHCP clients?

Last edited:
I'm not positive I'm looking at the right information but when I type in my IP address I can get info on my router. Under blocking it has NEVER checked and no sites blocked. I dont see anything about a router firewall.

Multiple times but it has not helped. I've tried all the tricks about removing the ethernet cable and resetting the receiver. That did not help either. I know the cable is working because I can get the internet on my laptop using the cable, plus I have a cable tester and it shows that all 8 wires are connected correctly.

Can you spell...frustration!!

Sounds like the router is the issue, don't know anything about that model but you may try connecting only the receiver after resetting both and see if that helps. Reset the router first, then restore network default settings on the receiver. Then hit connect and see if that works. You may only have a limited amount of devices it will allow access to.

What's the receiver make and model you're trying to connect? Do you have any Whole Home DVR setup (aka MRV)?

It is an HR22 receiver that is about one year old. I will try the direct connect and see what happens. Thx for all the advice.

That IP (168.254.7.58) doesn't sound right. How was it assigned?

Usually it will be something like 192.168.1.101 if it was assigned by DHCP or 192.168.1.2 if it was assigned a static local IP.

What is the IP range of your router?

Also do an ipconfig from your computer and what is the computer IP ?

Let me try and answer the questions. I am hard wired from the receiver to the router, this is not a wireless connection. I just tried connecting directly ahead of the router to try and take it out of the equation. Still no luck but I can run my laptop on the wire.

The IP 168.254.7.58 is what shows up on the receiver when I reset back to defaults. According to Directv this means there is a connection but not an internet connection.

After doing IPCONFIG the address for my laptop is 192.168.1.2.

I'm not sure of the IP range of the router.

Let me try and answer the questions. I am hard wired from the receiver to the router, this is not a wireless connection. I just tried connecting directly ahead of the router to try and take it out of the equation. Still no luck but I can run my laptop on the wire.

The IP 168.254.7.58 is what shows up on the receiver when I reset back to defaults. According to Directv this means there is a connection but not an internet connection.

After doing IPCONFIG the address for my laptop is 192.168.1.2.

I'm not sure of the IP range of the router.

Your receiver will never see your laptop unless you change the receiver IP Address to 192.168.1.3 or similar number. The Gateway/Router will be 192.168.1.1.

Understood. Directv has told me that the IP number will change to the right number once there is an internet connection. I've used advanced setup and put in the right IP address but that does not help either.

If you have DHCP turned on, it should do that automatically. If not you have to enter it yourself. And the router doesn't have to be connected to the internet to assign a local IP address.

Last edited:
There are two methods for setting IPs:

1) DHCP-restore defaults on router and Directv box and select "Connect Now". You may have to restore defaults on your router as well. Note: your ISP may require your PC's MAC address to be spoofed by your router. see page 72, 73 on the manual: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wpn824_ref_manual.pdf (This may have prevented my earlier suggestion from working as well as your attempt in post #13 above...try to use the methods prescribed for your router and ISP).

2) Static- this requires the router to be configured to either reserve a DHCP as "static IP" or configure IP by MAC address. A true static IP address s/b outside the DHCP range of the router to prevent the router from offering the same IP to another DHCP enabled device. The advanced tab in network setup on the Directv box would be utilized as well as router configuration. If you're attempting this use the instruction manual on page #92, here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wpn824_ref_manual.pdf

Previously, you said you had an IP of 169.x.x.x after restoring defaults in network setup. Did you get this IP after you attempted to connect or before? If you had this IP after restore defaults and connect attempt, your router is blocking the connection. Reset the router to defaults by holding the reset button 15 seconds. see bottom of this link: Answer

Disclaimer: not sure of the router model and version but the closest model I found was WPN824. There are three versions of that router, you should verify that on back of your router and consult the proper manual.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. This gets stranger by the minute. Before I did anything this evening I called DTV AGAIN. The tech determined I needed a new receiver and put me on hold for about 5 min. He came back on and said his supervisor denied the new receiver and said the problem is the signal being blocked, so I'm back to square one. I unplugged the modem, router, and receiver for at least 5 minutes. Plugged in router and pressed reset for about 25 sec and it did reset. Plugged the modem back in and then plugged in receiver and hit the red reset button. Once receiver came back on I plugged in the ethernet cable. Same result, no internet.

I think did as detailed and set a static IP address and entered the mac address off of the receiver. Same result..no internet.

You are correct the router part number is WPN824. I have contacted my ISP and they assure me they are blocking nothing.

I have never otten any IP address other than the 169.x.x.x except when I enter it manually.

Either the router is bad or your receiver is bad. I think it is the receiver . .

You will have to swap out both to prove it one way or the other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)