HR22 no Internet Connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I asked why I could not get a replacement and still cannot believe the answer the tech gave to me. Because On Demand is a free service (and according to him is still in BETA) DTV does not feel it is a necessary part of their system, so when it does not work they do not replace equipment.

I replied that it was part of my system that was advertised to me and should work, he agreed but said there was nothing he could do.

I'm not done with them yet but the frustration level is high.

My HR24 had a bad network card that gave me errors when I tested the connection. DTV replaced the receiver and the problem went away. If you know the receiver is at fault, escalate this to another supervisor or write to the President of Consumer Affairs at DTV. He is lying to you when he says Dish on Demand or DirecTV2PC are only in Beta.

I would add the DTV Protection Plan now, and then have the guy come out for free next month to fix the receiver.

Sounds like that might be a smart thing to do. I will keep trying different things and keep posting my results. Thanks again for any input.

I would add that each time an unresolved issue is called-in, it's elevated. I'm not sure if it's automatic or at the discretion of the CSR/call center/supervisor. But I have seen different call centers give different answers. Your answer seems wrong to me. I wouldn't accept the first answer; I'd be calling back and nicely explaining why I think the answer I was given was not acceptable.

You could say,"We both (meaning yourself & previous CSR) agreed it was defective; I say, it should be replaced".

Adding the protection plan would avoid the expense of shipping the replacement box ($19.95 plus tax).

I forgot to add that the tech also told me that on August 16th the On Demand feature would basically be added to the video stream, so any DVR will have that capability without adding an internet connection. He said it would not be quite as fast as the internet connection but have most of the same programs available.

I plan to call back again and push the receiver issue.

One more question...Does anyone have any esperience with the WRT400N router? From what I've read it appears to be an excellent router but wonder if anyone has this product and experienced a problem...

If I bypass the router and go directly from the wireless internet to the receiver I get the same result. When I talked to DTV about this they said that this type of hookup tells them nothing and a router needs to be in line. Thoughts??

Still sounds like a bad HR22 to me.

I didn't know you had any wireless; it's an access point but your router is the only DHCP server enabled, correct?

Yes, DHCP is enabled. I have a second receiver that is not a DVR but I found out that it also has an ethernet port. I plan to hook it up today and see if it gets internet communication. I will update.

Yes, DHCP is enabled. I have a second receiver that is not a DVR but I found out that it also has an ethernet port. I plan to hook it up today and see if it gets internet communication. I will update.

If your second receiver gets a 192.168.*.* IP, that would show that the other receiver is bad. It the second receiver gets a 168.*.*.* IP, that would show that your router is bad.

Well, the 2nd receiver has the same problem so this confirms what so many of you have thought. The problem must be in the router. I've tried everything I can think of to get this to work on my router with zero luck. I've reset back to factory settings and made sure DCHP is active. Any advice you may have is welcome.

My advice is for you to buy a new router, keep the receipt, and return it if it doesn't fix the problem.

That's the plan for sure. I've read and it seems a Lynksis WRT400N may be the candidate. I will let you know how it turns out.

I ordered a WRT400N last night and it should be in later this week. I will update once it is installed. Keeping my fingers crossed...Thx

If you do find out the receiver is bad make them replace after you get protection plan because you pay for it so use it because they will take old receiver and fix it and someone else will end up with it.

I just changed out my router from a very basic Linksys to a 2-Wire Router/Modem and it made quite a big difference. I used to have to update my router each time .. now I can always see the DTV Media Renderers.

I wasnt able to find your router model # on the netgear web site. You might want to check it again. I think what you have might be a wpn824, they're a pretty common router from around 5 years ago.

While you're waiting for your new router to show up, check the netgear web site to see if they have any more recent firmware available to download and install on the router. It might fix your problem.

The directv box uses some newer service discovery protocols that werent commonly implemented in a home router in 2005. I've seen problems with some older routers, powerline and wireless bridges that were unresponsive to the directv box and made it think it was alone on the network, where it would assign itself an IP address and start looking for other peer directv boxes to talk with.

I noticed there were some updates for the 824's from 2007 and later. Those might work with the directv boxes.

There are directions on the netgear site, but basically you have to download the firmware upgrade - make sure you have the right model number including any 'v1/v2/v3' options - log into the routers administration page and choose the option to update the firmware, then put in the file you downloaded. Its not the easiest thing to do, but if you follow the manufacturers instructions you'll get there eventually.

Ok, wanted to follow up. I bought a new router WRT400N and installed it last night. Amazing, the first time I connected I had an internet connection and now On Demand is working as it should.

While waiting for the new router I did work on the router using the Netgear website but had zero luck...

Thanks to all who tried to help...it is appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)