HTL HD Default Ratio

Status
Please reply by conversation.
towelie said:
I understand the letterboxing (I have a 4:3 hdtv). but the original question (as I understand it), was trying to unletterbox at 16:9 image to fill a 4:3 screen. that enlarged (and cropped) image wouldn't have the resolution as it did letterboxed, no?
Technically if it were 1080i or 720p, it should not change. It should simply crop and cut off the side that those of us with 16:9 TV's are able to view.

It would seem like you would be able to do that with a zoom if the TV has that. I know if there is a letterbox program on my 16:9 you can zoom it to eliminate the bars but it crops the picture. I would imagine the 4:3 could do the same it would just be cropping a lot more of the picture. I didn't read ever post in the thread but at present I don't think there is a setting on the STB that would do this. Your TV may have an option to zoom but you would probably have to hit it every time you change the channel.

Slacker, you still do not even understand the question. After going off about things inccorectly (such as that 4:3 HDTVs do not exist, and that there were bars on the screen) we have still arrived here with you not knowing what the original question was, and with no understand of the whole concept here.

Again, THERE ARE NO BARS IN THIS WHOLE SITUATION NOTHING IS SHOWING UP WITH BARS DO WE UNDERSTAND NOW?

Directv said that they were aware that people with 4:3 televisions would rather have a setting on any box to avoid the need to change from "standard" to expand on any 16:9 broadcast. I still think "slacker" (who sounds more and more like a 17 year old each and every post) does not understand this. Tell us some more about the non existant 4:3 HDTVs slacker, you dumbass. Maybe tell us about the ATSC telling people how to make TVs?? that was my favorite comment................

I called directv and they told me they were working on a solution to upgrade software to cure this. Maybe you would like to call them and ask little boy?

The box defaults to standard for all 16:9 broadcasts, which is great for my two mitsus 16:9, but compresses all 16:9 on the 4:3. I was told by "Matt" that they want to incorporate a initial setup with HD boxes where you can select your 16:9 viewing preferance to avoid having the image squeezed into a 4:3 tv. I am still unsure as to why "slacker" fails to understand this, I just think he lacks the mental capacity to figure out what i am even talking about, but that is a question for his doctor(s), not me.

The TV gives the option to go to letterbox or fill the screen, letterbox shows bars on the top and bottom for 4:3 programming. This is not a part of the question and letterbox is a stupid mode on a 4:3 anyways. The TV is set at 4:3 height so there are NO BARS on the screen, still not understand dipshit?

I got my answer from Directv that was more than pleasing, slacker continues to show little knowledge here so he can keep going on and on about how smart he is and talk about HDTVs that are "not made" in 4:3 and the ATSC that controls what kind of TVs are made, you truly are a total moron, so stay out of this thread, you have still not added anything.

Oh wow i did not even know i could ignore you slacker?

This is like a dream, it is like you are not even here!!

Congratulations on being the first person ignored on my list!!! You are the first, and chances are you are going to be the last!! Way to go!

I cannot believe moron boy (LOL) would lie .... So like I have said all along ... he is an idiot.

Thank you for your question. Just as personal computers are rapidly evolving, we expect DIRECTV System receivers to incorporate many new features in the coming years. We will enhance our programming service as the receiving equipment evolves. For example, receivers capable of decoding Dolby Digital sound, high definition programming, and even interactive television are now on the market, and we have begun offering programming in all of those formats.

All DIRECTV System receivers bring you excellent picture and sound quality and on-screen program information. However, the on-screen menus of each brand may have a slightly different "look and feel." Also, each manufacturer of DIRECTV Systems offers various receivers which each offer a different array of features. The availability of certain features depends on the receiving equipment you own. If you have questions about DIRECTV Systems, please visit DIRECTV.com or your local electronics retailer.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Jessica
DIRECTV Customer Service

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

Thank you for the expedient response. I am curious, do you plan an
update so
that those of us with 4:3 HDTV's will not need to switch modes while
viewing? Something like where the receiver knows I have a 4:3 HDTV and
defaults to the right level so it is still HD but is full screen on a
4:3
set as the SD programming is?

letterbox vs full screen

Wow I read most very post on this thread talk about a mini nuke war, so please get this straight, I am making a general comment I am no expert on HDTV, just so we are clear on this.

I always wonder why anyone would want to watch a full screen 4:3 instead of Letterbox on their 4:3 set ?
It is incredible to me because most of the people I talk to who don’t like letterbox is those little bars or black bars on the top and bottom of the screen ? some said, they feel they are getting cheated, huh ?

I was under the impression letterbox was offered so the viewer can see “all the picture” almost as in the theater ? I think I heard somewhere that is was the directors who push for this format, I for one am glad they did, there is action going on in the left and right that people are missing in the 4:3 full screen mode, that is mainly the reason directors wanted the format, to see all of their picture.

But on the other hand there must be some people out there that want the full screen ratio since lately I have seen both formats of DVD movies for sale in stores, but by far wide-screen format has more shelf space, and believe it or not cheaper than the full screen counter part, I guess because of the added expense of turning a original widescreen format into a 4:3 full screen.

I'm with you 'tryinghard' I have a 4:3 hdtv, and always watch HD letterbox, wouldn't have it any other way. on my 32", letterbox is equivalent to a 30" widescreen tv. With a 36" it's close to a 34" widescreen.

Letterbox vs Full Screen

towellie

<” I'm with you 'tryinghard' I have a 4:3 hdtv, and always watch HD letterbox, wouldn't have it any other way. on my 32", letterbox is equivalent to a 30" widescreen tv. With a 36" it's close to a 34" widescreen. “>

I think letterbox format came out in the 80’s (movie theaters switch from the box to rectangular screens in the 50's) and any movies (in VHS or DVD) that I brought letterbox was the first thing I looked for, love to see SP come out with letterbox format ;- )

I am with you two fellas towelie & trying hard. Most poeople ... not all but most, like to watch content as OAR. It provides the best overall image quality, becuase as OAR implies .... the contect is original :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts