I hate Dish, how the heck can I cancel?

Yes I had a DVR and HD with Comcast. I have the Dish VIP612. I find the menus hard to navigate and setting "timers" somewhat labor intensive. I have been using it for two-three weeks now and my wife won't even mess with it. She can't figure the thing out. I don't blame her.
There is always a learning curve when going from something familiar to something new. I get the feeling you may have not gone through the users guide which would give you a good foundation of understanding. I can not imagine how you would feel setting up a timer is "labor intensive". Learn about what you have instead of lamenting over what you don't.

Also, for whatever reason when watching a channel the tv will just start scanning and switching to another channel without me doing anything. We were trying to watch TV last night and it kept doing it every 5 minutes. Very very frustrating.
Either you have a defective box or you need to change your remote address. One of your neighbors may be using the same remote address and is changing his and your channels.

Yes I had a DVR and HD with Comcast. I have the Dish VIP612. I find the menus hard to navigate and setting "timers" somewhat labor intensive. I have been using it for two-three weeks now and my wife won't even mess with it. She can't figure the thing out. I don't blame her.

Also, for whatever reason when watching a channel the tv will just start scanning and switching to another channel without me doing anything. We were trying to watch TV last night and it kept doing it every 5 minutes. Very very frustrating.
Timers??!? Come on. Find a show in the guide you want and hit the record button and then hit Create Timer. Default setting is once for a one time show and recurring for a recurring show. It's like 2 button presses. The only way it could be better is if it reads your mind to be less 'labor intensive'!

Or if you like using the computer as much as you do for posting here, go to the remote scheduling site and do your timers there. You don't have to push any buttons on your remote, just click with your mouse (you do have to setup the receiver on the ethernet connection and go to the right menu, so maybe you don't want to go through that, but I use it all the time and it's a piece of cake.)

Why not ask for help or try it out for a bit before hating something. Jeez!

Sounds like you need a better setup with your Dish being pointed, possible remote interference (what TV do you have?), etc. Some of your comments I can understand, but some are off the wall.

During my post install product demos I try to reassure each customer that if they can oprate a VCR, they can operate the DVR...Same concept. The diff is hard drive vs tape for storage of data.
Look....Start with the basics..To set timed recordings use the DVR button on the remote. The next button to press is "timers".
This brings you to the timer menu...Set the channel, the frequency of timers(Once , weekly, M thru F, etc....Then choose your start and stop times and that's it...On recording off the guide. Simply find the program you wish to record then press select. The system will ask if you'd like to record all or just new episodes. That's it..
Like Coach Kilmer said in the movie "Varsity Blues"......Stick to the basics!!!!!
The tech will fix the signal issue. Ask him to demonstrate the DVR functions again. He will help you.

If someone had cable then switch to satellite and do end up having problems, satellite is a different beast and one does not expect to get anymore outages than their previous provider. He is new to satellite so he does not have an understanding about how these things work. It took me a year before I got completely used to the system. I tried to cancel right after a month of having it back in 1997 but they said I was just out of my time table to cancel and get a refund so I kept it and am I glad I did. Also if you are new at having a DVR then that also takes getting used to. You need an installer to show you how to use it or if you know someone that has a Dish Network DVR you need to have them help you with it a little more if you want to have better confidence in the system that you have.

If channels are changing by themselves then that means that timers were programmed to go to the channel automatically (maybe by accident?).

That is one of your neighbors changing your channel. The same thing happened to me. You just need to change your remote control address.

Timers??!? Come on. Find a show in the guide you want and hit the record button and then hit Create Timer. Default setting is once for a one time show and recurring for a recurring show. It's like 2 button presses. The only way it could be better is if it reads your mind to be less 'labor intensive'!

Or if you like using the computer as much as you do for posting here, go to the remote scheduling site and do your timers there. You don't have to push any buttons on your remote, just click with your mouse (you do have to setup the receiver on the ethernet connection and go to the right menu, so maybe you don't want to go through that, but I use it all the time and it's a piece of cake.)

Why not ask for help or try it out for a bit before hating something. Jeez!

Sounds like you need a better setup with your Dish being pointed, possible remote interference (what TV do you have?), etc. Some of your comments I can understand, but some are off the wall.

I was kinda thinking the same thing... my 7yr old makes timers and I never showed him. It's rather straight forward. Hit the show you want and boom there's the screen... if you want default options hit ok again. Very simple. Think it takes like 2 button presses?

Well, it's easier with Comcast and DirecTV - one press of Record to record the show, two presses to record the series.

BUT, Dish's method isn't difficult. I can't even imagine going back to the Comcast DVR. It's about the worst piece of electronics ever created.

I wouldn't want it one button press... I'd have all kinds of timers! :) I like the option to pick a few settings and/or just hit ok to confirm.

Look....Start with the basics..To set timed recordings use the DVR button on the remote. The next button to press is "timers".
This brings you to the timer menu...Set the channel, the frequency of timers(Once , weekly, M thru F, etc....Then choose your start and stop times and that's it...On recording off the guide. Simply find the program you wish to record then press select. The system will ask if you'd like to record all or just new episodes. That's it..
It's even easier than that if you want it to be, like we've said.

If someone had cable then switch to satellite and do end up having problems, satellite is a different beast and one does not expect to get anymore outages than their previous provider. He is new to satellite so he does not have an understanding about how these things work.
He had a DVR with Comcast and no complaints there.

Having a tech show you is helpful, but you have to pay attention so when they leave you can still do it.

If channels are changing by themselves then that means that timers were programmed to go to the channel automatically (maybe by accident?).
Maybe, but I doubt it. It would be good to know if it was the UHF remote or the IR remote.

He said: the tv will just start scanning and switching to another channel without me doing anything

If it is the TV doing it, then something is wrong/interfering with the TV. But if it is not the TV and rather the satellite, then it could be a timer (doubtful if it keeps happening) or a UHF remote nearby on the same code, or a prankster. ;)

I ain't your grandma if you know what I am saying.

Funny you mention that. I taught my 92-year old grandma how to record shows on a 612 in about 10 minutes over the phone, and she can barely see or hear the tv.

If she can set up an all episodes Matlock timer on her own, you really have no excuses.

To Dishcomm....my father NEVER could program a VCR. But he can his 622.;)

My 6 year old grandson is always adding timers for Disney channel shows, sometimes 2-3 timers for the same program, so I have to go in every 2-3 days and clean up all the timers he adds.

All you gotta do is find the show you want to record on the guide and press select and the timer is created - BINGO. You can do once, all or new.

I always program from the guide, find it VERY easy. Pick the show you want to record, any show that hasn't already started, and set 2 options on 1 screen, could not be easier.

The Dish DVRs are hands down the best DVR available, they are quick, responsive and well laid out. DTVs receivers/DVRs are sluggish, like using a computer from 10 years ago, Cables (Comcast anyway) are like a computer from the 80's.

We have had some problems with 612s lately, but I bet your problem is from a poor install. Call Dish and complain, you'll have it fixed very soon. And trust me, when it is working as it should, you WILL love it.

Brad

We have had some problems with 612s lately, but I bet your problem is from a poor install. Call Dish and complain, you'll have it fixed very soon. And trust me, when it is working as it should, you WILL love it.
I totally agree that an installer should come out and get things right, and hopefully someone who cares.

As for the last part, some people will always hold something against the company if they had a bad experience upfront, so who knows...:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)