Icom BD780 3D Multi Region Blu-ray Player Review

This arrived on my doorstep some time today. I picked it up because several 3D titles have not been released in the U.S. (Disney -mostly region free, Need for Speed 3D, etc.). This player is designed as a region free player and does not hack/modify any manufacturers' firmware.

Features:

Price: Varies by site. $133 on Amazon.
110/220 power supply
NTSC/PAL Compatible
DVD Region: 0-9 (0 default)
BD Region: A, B, C (A by default. menu selectable)
File Formats: AVI, JPEG, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP3, MP4, MPG, VOB
Audio: Bitstream/Internal decoding 5.1
Streaming Apps: None

Visual: I was worried that everyone said it was cheap (but worked). The casing is actually aluminum with a plastic face. I find it much sturdier than my recent Panasonics.

Set up: Easy setup. Typical settings, Video Auto, 24p on, secondary audio off. I went back into the setup menu. Video default was RGB. Changed it to 4:2:2. 3D looked much better.

DVD Playback: I threw in Star Wars Episode 3. The battle scene at the beginning is a good test of motion handling and scaling. I was quite surprised at how good it looked. Colors look accurate and no visual edge enhancement halos.

BD Playback: I threw in Oblivion just because it is visually flawless. Looks just like any other BD player.

3D Playback: I threw in Monsters U because so many players have severe audio dropouts with the Dolby 7.1 track. My Oppo 93 and BDT230 are horrible with this one. The iCom had a couple glitches, but they were really minor.

Multiregion Blu-ray Playback: Got Need for Speed from Amazon UK since it's not being released in 3D in the US. Changing regions is simple. Hot the setup button, hot the 4 digit code, scroll to BD Region, and hit 2. Done. On;y error message I got was not having the internet connected for BDLive :D

Overall Impressions: So far so good. The real test will be when I get the Region B Need for Speed 3D in. If it works as well as it has so far, I'll keep it in my theater system and move a few other players around.

S~
Hello! I own one BD780 but have lost/ misplaced the owners manual. I need the 4 digit code to reprogram the Regions as I'm stuck on #2! Can you help me? Thanks

Do you ever get firmware updates for this unit from the manufacturer? If so, does it wipe out the multi-region capability?

FYI, I see this unit advertised on-line as iVid BD780, Icom BD780 and CVID BD780

I have not been able to find any updates. Still on what they sent me. I tried when I got it. The only thing I haven't done is call the number on the multiregion sheet they sent. Hasn't been a problem so far. Pretty much the only thing this one does is play BDs and DVDs from any region.

S~

I have not been able to find any updates. Still on what they sent me. I tried when I got it. The only thing I haven't done is call the number on the multiregion sheet they sent. Hasn't been a problem so far. Pretty much the only thing this one does is play BDs and DVDs from any region.

S~

Do you have that phone number by any chance? I lost the paper, and there's a problem with subtitles getting stuck on some DVDs. I can't seem to find any contact info for the manufacturer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)