If I'm dreaming...

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
please don't wake me.
Since finishing my Home Theater, complete with hand made built-in entertainment center, a few months ago the wife has been getting frustrated whenever a show she want's to see isn't HD (like The Apprentice). If it's not HD she doesn't want to watch it in the theater because it looks like doo doo on the 65" RPTV.
Lately she has been talking about having me build some built-ins in the family room for our 36" SD Sony. Well this weekend I had her watch the DVR video that Scott and Ilya recorded at CEIDA. As soon as the video ended she says "So we will be able to watch HD in any room in the house?" To which I respond with "Well yeah if we had HDTV's in those rooms." Then her response to that was, now brace yourselves for this one, "Well, we should get one of those thin plasmas for the family room when you make the built-ins." :shocked :eek: :shocked :eek: :D
Oh yeah, either I'm dreaming or I've died and gone to heaven. Regardless of which it is I've got it made. Now to figure out what to buy...LCD or Plasma. I am going to be researching this for awhile. Voom's DVR isn't even out yet, plus I need to draw up the plans and figure out what I am going to build.

Edit: Oh yeah, the pics are of my current setup. There is now a red curtain behid the TV that matches the seating.

Attachments

• Front-View.jpg
    Front-View.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 310
  • seating-area.jpg
    seating-area.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 269
Sounds like my wife too, she would like (although we can't really afford) for me to get a HDTV in our bedroom, flat 40-50" whatever flat technology I want, the DVR if it comes out leased/rent option, and connect a third room.

This from the person that said I was nuts for spending so much time in BB a year ago drooling on TVs, this from the person that said I was insane for buying an HDTV, this from the person that told me years ago "Surround sound is stupid, it's the same thing just louder" before I got my first Pro Logic reciever, this from the person that said "You already have surround sound who cares if it's digital 5 point whatever it's called!?!?", this from the person that said "DVD is retarded, look at all the VHS we have!!!"... now is the person in my house that's like when I tell her:

"Aw man it's standard definition" she goes "Next!" is now urging me to get a DVR and another HDTV? While she has learned to accept the new technology I've bought, nothing has moved her like HDTV has, that's impressive. When I got Voom she was so against it I only got the basic pack to calm her down, that turned into VaVaVoom in three weeks. I think we are as J6P's as you can get, since what got me into HT's was audio systems, that turned into the WOW I got last year while watching some HD stuff in stores. My wife didn't even know what HD was until May of this year...not bad right?

Dude, it almost sounds like we married sisters. Either that or we are both equally skilled at being married...if you want something, the key is to make her want it as much or more than you...it's definitely a skill that takes practice to master.

Been married ten years, the first year I went about it all wrong, I was like "This is what I want!" no, no, no, the second year was "Let's do what you want" brrr.. wrong...

3rd year and beyond it's "Hey look this is a great idea, imagine everyone will love how this will (accent you/the house/the car/your job/whatever) if you don't like it, we'll just return it/sell it/get rid of it" and it usually ends up working better. I'll even include her in the praises, "Yeah man WE made a great choice on the HT, for the money we got some kick ass stuff" she'll be like "Yeah WE did"

Marriage Enrichment Tool

A few years ago I was able to convince my wife that we needed a bass boat. It was a Marriage Enrichment Tool. :rolleyes:
  • Enjoy water activities and visit the beaches together
  • Cruise to the other side of the Potomac and feast on Maryland crabs
  • Spend time fishing while she catches up on her reading
Shortly after the birth of our daughter, I convinced my wife we need a Home Theater Room as part of our families Cuddle & Cradle Campaign since we would spending more time at the house.

I recently convinced my wife we needed a new DLP in the family room because the downstairs HT room is too chilly for her and the little one come winter. I guess I'll call this my Come Share the Warmth Propaganda :)

Anyway, it's all in how you sell it! :yes

Cuddle & Cradle Campaign I like that, reminds me of the Spark and Shop Act of my house back in '99 .. that says that every hour I spend in her stores must be matched with 1 hour in stores I prefer (mainly electronics).

I'm a newlywed and I am taking notes. :)
It took some convincing to get my wife to see the benefit in Voom. But it was hard for her to see a downside with the $0 special a couple months ago. I told her for the $70 extra were paying per month I'll cancel the lawn service and cut the grass myself. So hey I get some exercises and I get my HD.
First time she law CSI in HD she was like, OH! Now I see it....

Can't wait for the DVR so I can cancel Dish and free up $60 a month. Then I'll move up to Va Va Voom so I'll have a nice choice of movies to record from. Can't wait! :yes

Dvlos said:
Been married ten years, the first year I went about it all wrong, I was like "This is what I want!" no, no, no, the second year was "Let's do what you want" brrr.. wrong...

3rd year and beyond it's "Hey look this is a great idea, imagine everyone will love how this will (accent you/the house/the car/your job/whatever) if you don't like it, we'll just return it/sell it/get rid of it" and it usually ends up working better. I'll even include her in the praises, "Yeah man WE made a great choice on the HT, for the money we got some kick ass stuff" she'll be like "Yeah WE did"
Exactly my point...

Not to get too off topic, but I am amazed by some of the comments in this thread.

I've been married for seven years. My relationship with my wife is incredibly strong, mutually supportive and non combative, especially in comparison when i read threads like this. In seven years I think we've had one, maybe two disagreements - it would be a stretch to even call them arguments. At first it reads like your wive's rule your choices in life, that is something I could never accept. I never have to "convince" my wife of anything, I simply do what I want, as does she. Of course on big purchases I'd "run it by her", but never for approval - more for informational purpoeses. It sounds to a degree like you guys left your mother and replaced her with a wife that takes up the same kind of "you need my approval to do *****". Oh my gosh, I would walk out in a heartbeat if my wife ever started that crap with me - and vice versa. Please tell me I'm taking it the wrong way. I would hate to think such intelligent men would allow themselves to be controlled as such.

I dont mean to put anyone down at all, I hope you are all happy in your marriages and that they last the rest of your lives. I am just amazed at the tone - take a step back and re-read your posts and perhaps you'll see what I mean or perhaps not, maybe it's just me.

Best of luck everyone - and WASH_24 - your theater looks great. Nice job on the wall unit.

Do you guys have another sister like that? I just divorced a woman who thought a 13" TV was just fine.

ahh...but not when she is 15 years older than me...that give sme the advantage. I like to think I had it all covered :p

gtsmith,
Don't take 'em that way. I know I am, and I'm pretty sure Dvlos was, just posting these stories to express how cool or wives are with all this HT and HD stuff. There's no begging or denials going on in my house, I just need to make sure that the value of the purchase is evident enough so as her enjoyment of the purchase distracts her from the price.

man your set up looks ugly. lighten it up little, green will depress u. where is your pop corn machine and beer keg?

dulzen said:
man your set up looks ugly. lighten it up little, green will depress u. where is your pop corn machine and beer keg?
I'm still in the market for another color. I don't like it either. Thanks though for your kind words. :rolleyes:

gtsmith said:
Not to get too off topic, but I am amazed by some of the comments in this thread. Best of luck everyone - and WASH_24 - your theater looks great. Nice job on the wall unit.

Everything in a marriage is somewhat combative, I think, not yelling and screaming, but a territorial dispute so to speak. I don't need my wife's approval but I sure do like peace in my house. I also like my wife to be happy with what's going on in the house and big purchases definately falls under that. If we were filthy rich no problem, or if I say go out and buy some pants and a Marlins hat, I don't "run it by her" I'm sure she'd rather see me wearing new clothes than burnt up rags. However, a HDTV, surround sound systems etc, effect the way the house looks, our finances, and decibel levels. So yeah I make sure she's in the loop on this, read my post she was totally against all those purchases, so I had to settle her in on the idea.

At least for my marriage that middle ground I surf around in, is where the peace and closeness is, you go to either extreme and there's trouble. You have no idea how many things I do that I don't like but since she compromised for me, I compromise for her. It has been my experience that guys that are "no woman rules me and screw her nagging hag!" type of people end up divorced, and those that are PW'ed are miserable inside and the women get tired of their boring loaf of a man and cheat on them. So I am not a dictator in my house, and I am not a gimp either, I'm the cautious wise man in the corner who sets everything up ahead of time. Yes I know I will get to die first.. yay!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts