In-attic Gray-Hoverman

stratcat50

Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
MemphisTN
I built this antenna to go in the attic and got spectacular results with it just sitting on the floor in an aluminum-sided house. All the DTV stations in the area are between 65 and 82 degrees at ranges of 7 to 15 miles. Guesstimating an angle of 70 degrees and setting the TV to Auto-Program found all stations and at 100% signal strength, no pixelating, etc.
Instead of individual reflector elements, I used aluminum foil glued to a plywood backboard.

This antenna would have too much wind loading to use outdoors and the plywood would separate after a few rains. I intend to build an outdoor version using expanded metal or screen for the reflector and PVC pipe for frame and spacers.

Attachments

• Gray-HovermanII.pdf
    355.7 KB · Views: 2,081
Will a Gray-Hoverman work for a WFAA in Dallas, TX who is staying as a Hi VHF station? Attached is my TV Fool Signal Locater scan.

Thanks

Paulus Gan

Attachments

• Radar-DigitalGround.png
    Radar-DigitalGround.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 678
You will need CH8/9/11 after Feb. 17th all Hi VHF so it will depend on terrain, your construction ability, distance and any co channel interference. Really would recommend a good brand name TV antenna instead of a home built.

My TVfool Signal locator scan are green for all my major channels which seem to indicate that -- An indoor "set-top" antenna is probably sufficient to pick up these channels --.

I have tried four rabbit ears –

Two amplified RCA ANT1250 and ANT200B which got most of the digital channels but with varying degrees of pixalization and channels cutting out.

Two (not amplified) Radio shack model # 15-1868 and 15-1874, which eliminated all the pixalization and channels cutting out for all major channels. I can not get any signal from two UHF stations, the local NBC channel (KXAS real channel 41/virtual 5.1) and the local major IND channel (KTXA real channel 18/virtual 21.1).

If the Gray-Hoverman and the You Tube DIY antennas will not work for me, can any one recommend a good brand name TV antenna for me?

Thanks

Paulus Gan

75214 zip code puts you in the White Rock Lake area of Dallas. Or in a very strong broadcast signal area with multistory buildings to reflect signals. Winegard "Ghost Killer " HD7210P antenna would be my suggestion but I would expect interference will limit full reception of Dallas OTA digital signals.

Will a GH work for me?

Hello

I'm in zip 58220, and have a lot of Canadian stations ~70 miles north of me, mostly VHF low band.

I have only 3 US post-transition stations almost 180 degrees apart. Should be no trouble picking up the US stations, once they come on-line next weekend.

My trouble is a lot of the Canadian stations I can see from TVFool are in the lo VHF band. As I understand it the Gray-Hoverman antenna's are for UHF frequencies and have almost zero gain at lo VHF. I ordered a butt-load of pvc fittings to construct a single bay GH10 (flatter gain at the lower frequencies). Think I am going to be wasting my time? If yes, does anyone have any links to a decent DIY YAGI for VHF lo band that will work in deep fringe?

Attachments

• Radar-All2.png
    Radar-All2.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 490
Have you investigated building a rhombic antenna. VHF low rhombic is very large but they have excellent gain, maybe a double rhombic?

Do you have a free 1/4 acre lot to work with?

The GH would have to be very large to pick up vhf low harmonics.

On your TVFool profile all the tropos can be considered iffy, mostly for DXing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts