Is Dish going to provide the NBC 3D Channel for the Olympics?

So when is DISH going to announce their Olympics coverage (channel numbers and such)? That's now within range of my DVR timers-I need to know!

Also, NBC Olympics Live Extra, at Get Ready For Live Extra - Watch The 2012 Summer Olympics Live Online | NBC Olympics , is supposed to be available to anyone whose subscription service includes both MSNBC and CNBC, but you have to sign up. But when I try to sign up, after choosing the DISH icon, a popup appears with a heading saying "Sign In", but with a blank white screen, no text boxes in which to enter my DISH login and password. I've tried this from 3 computers using 2 different browsers, and it never works any better. Has any DISH subscriber gotten this to work? Sande

I finally got NBC Olympics Live Extra to work, at least in Internet Explorer (not in Mozilla Firefox). The key, I think, was to revisit Adobe's Flash Settings site , clear all previously saved settings, and remove all limitations.

If you've used various add-ons to stop tracking, or block cookies or ads or Flash content, you may have to loosen those settings to make this work. Adding the NBC Olympics Web sites to the Trusted Sites zone was not enough.

I'll put all my privacy settings back in place, after the Olympics.

So, DISH, the only remaining questions are what are you going to do? Sande

If Dish would offer the Olympics in 3D it would be a brilliant marketing move on their part. So I wouldn't count on it.

Totally disagree. Far more, and I mean in the area of 97% can not get 3D. What's brilliant about giving something to 3% or less subscribers, who by the way won't all even watch the Olympics. There is only about 3% households with 3D TV. Add to that even those with it, don't always have a 3D capable Dish receiver and further have no intention of watching 3D. Then add to that, some of those people who could watch in 3D won't be watching the Olympics. Brilliant, no way. Nice for those 300,000 out of 14 million or so who want it, sure. I do think it would be great for those who really want it, but sometimes it sounds like Dish is depriving millions from getting 3D.

"Even worse, of the 3 percent of households that own a 3DTV, fewer than half of those households even make use of the 3D capability."
Michael's Insight: Two-thirds of U.S. households have at least one HDTV

http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...f-us-households-have-hi-def-tv-with-room.html

Last edited:
Studies show that 72 percent of stats are made up.

I know a lot of people who have 3DTV's. (I myself have 3) Of course the other people who own them dont own any 3D Glasses, or only have the glasses that came with their set.

Studies show that 72 percent of stats are made up.I know a lot of people who have 3DTV's. (I myself have 3) Of course the other people who own them dont own any 3D Glasses, or only have the glasses that came with their set.
The thing about 3D is that if you buy high end equipment, you're automatically buying 3D. It doesn't mean that your were actively looking to or wanting to get into 3D. I've felt from the start that as long as wearing glasses was involved, 3D wouldn't take off. IMO, until you can sit down and watch 3D the same way you can sit down and watch HD, without any eyewear, it will continue to be a fad. The saying, Keep It Simple Stupid, is still true.

Seeing I don't have a 3dTV, it doesn't bother me personally. It probably would be nice to have a 3d offering, however, I don't know whether it would be in Dish's best interest to spend money to develop the options in order for a very small minority to be able to watch television in 3d.
That stat is made up.:D:D
Meh... it's within three sigmas. ;)

Seeing I don't have a 3dTV, it doesn't bother me personally. It probably would be nice to have a 3d offering, however, I don't know whether it would be in Dish's best interest to spend money to develop the options in order for a very small minority to be able to watch television in 3d.

Meh... it's within three sigmas. ;)
The feed will be up, they have room with the AMC suite off now all they have to do is provide it... ;)

Totally disagree. Far more, and I mean in the area of 97% can not get 3D. What's brilliant about giving something to 3% or less subscribers, who by the way won't all even watch the Olympics. There is only about 3% households with 3D TV. Add to that even those with it, don't always have a 3D capable Dish receiver and further have no intention of watching 3D. Then add to that, some of those people who could watch in 3D won't be watching the Olympics. Brilliant, no way. Nice for those 300,000 out of 14 million or so who want it, sure. I do think it would be great for those who really want it, but sometimes it sounds like Dish is depriving millions from getting 3D.

"Even worse, of the 3 percent of households that own a 3DTV, fewer than half of those households even make use of the 3D capability."
Michael's Insight: Two-thirds of U.S. households have at least one HDTV

MediaPost Publications 2/3 of U.S. Households Have Hi-Def TV... With Room For More 01/13/2012

Not sure where you get your numbers or how big a sampling was involved. This I know. 21 million 3D LCD (not even counting plasma's) were shipped in 2011 and 50 million expected to be shipped in 2012. In the Q3 of 2011 6.6 million 3D LCD TV's were sold, not just shipped. Maybe you can answer this question. How much $$$ would it cost Dish to offer the Olympics in 3D?

Not sure where you get your numbers or how big a sampling was involved. This I know. 21 million 3D LCD (not even counting plasma's) were shipped in 2011 and 50 million expected to be shipped in 2012. In the Q3 of 2011 6.6 million 3D LCD TV's were sold, not just shipped. Maybe you can answer this question. How much $$$ would it cost Dish to offer the Olympics in 3D?

I posted the link(s) where I got the numbers.(If you mean the 300,00 subscribers - 3% of 14 million subscribers minus an estimate of those who has a 3D Dish receiver AND will actually watch is) Doesn't matter what the cost is, I'm not advocating Dish shouldn't carry it, as I posted. I'm saying if you read some of the posts it makes it sound as if millions will be missing out if Dish does not put it in 3D. The question is Does dish need to this for a very few people, if so there is a bunch of channels you can make the case for, that hardly anyone will watch. I'm just putting it into perspective, hardly anyone has 3D to begin with.
Another little hidden fact, told to me by PC Richads salesman, a "good amount" (I admit don't know how much that equates to) of 3D sets sold, are second sets to the same household that already has one now. They are the hard core people who want 3D. That along with those who buy it but not for the 3D and never watch 3D skews how many households actually have and watch 3D.

Last edited:
Well, I do watch 3D. It's kinda fun on occasion. Reminds me of the Long, Long Trailer, back in the 50's, in the theatre. (MOst of you probably have'nt a clue). Golf, in 3D, is great to watch. Maybe, if Dish, had Olympics in 3D, it would spur some more peeps to get into the 21'st century and get a new TV, or just watch 3D on the TV they already have. Anything to jack up the economy would be beneficial in this day and age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)