Is Hopper 2000 w/o Sling getting New Carbon U/I ?

mario315

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 20, 2008
Florida
Today, a DISH Tech came by to troubleshoot a problem I was having with my MoCA connections..... I asked him when would the new Carbon UI be coming to my Hopper 2000's (I have 2)-- but without Sling...

He said never !... Only Hoppers 2000 with Sling (and models above) would get the new interface....

Is this true ???

Today, a DISH Tech came by to troubleshoot a problem I was having with my MoCA connections..... I asked him when would the new Carbon UI be coming to my Hopper 2000's (I have 2)-- but without Sling...

He said never !... Only Hoppers 2000 with Sling (and models above) would get the new interface....

Is this true ???
I can't remember exactly what thread it was in, but I think that I read a post recently, quoting someone from Dish stating that the new UI would be "coming to the entire Hopper Family". I'll have to look............If I've misquoted I'm sure someone will correct me :shh

The Hopper 2000 won't be getting it since the processor isn't fast enough to use it reliably.
The more I use it, the more I think that the Joey 1 shouldn't be running it either. I've seen a number of different oddities that are clearly processor-related. Three things off-hand are, 1) opening the DVR menu takes (10) seconds to populate (I've timed it), 2) any changes you make in the DVR menu (deleting a program, for example), causes a very slow refresh of the DVR listing, and 3) if you move through the DVR menu, stop on a recording (has to be a single one, not a folder), then quickly move to the next one and 'open' it, it will show the details for the previous item for a few seconds.

The more I use it, the more I think that the Joey 1 shouldn't be running it either. I've seen a number of different oddities that are clearly processor-related. Three things off-hand are, 1) opening the DVR menu takes (10) seconds to populate (I've timed it), 2) any changes you make in the DVR menu (deleting a program, for example), causes a very slow refresh of the DVR listing, and 3) if you move through the DVR menu, stop on a recording (has to be a single one, not a folder), then quickly move to the next one and 'open' it, it will show the details for the previous item for a few seconds.
That sounds like my Joey 1 with the old software.
The new UI doesn't seem any slower than before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

At this time the new Carbon UI will only be on the HWS and Hopper 3. The Hopper 2000 won't be getting it since the processor isn't fast enough to use it reliably. This could change in the future, but that is the current state of it.

I saw some complaints about the communication between Hopper 2000s and HWS with the testers on this forum. If a customer has one of each will Dish upgrade the Hopper 2000 to HWS at no cost if the problem continues.

I don't think Dish has any choice but not to do that. Eventually, they will force the new software to the HWS units out there and the customer won't have any recourse.

I saw some complaints about the communication between Hopper 2000s and HWS with the testers on this forum. If a customer has one of each will Dish upgrade the Hopper 2000 to HWS at no cost if the problem continues.

I haven't seen anything about upgrading Hoppers to HWS due to a communication issue at this time. Me or one of my co-workers can always see about getting the upgrade performed normally though.

Even on the HWS the Carbon UI ( test release) seems less responsive than the old UI. I haven't seen anything about the new UI That makes me want it. Kinda disappointed at how it runs on my HWS, but it doesnt add add anything for me.

That sounds like my Joey 1 with the old software.
The new UI doesn't seem any slower than before.

the

I heard that the HWS will not get the update if there's a Hopper 2000 on the account. Of course that's subject to change. :)

I heard that the HWS will not get the update if there's a Hopper 2000 on the account. Of course that's subject to change. :)
People here have done it (they've forced the update on their HWS). Granted, when the time comes for the public roll-out, Dish may not push it to accounts with a Hopper 1 and Hopper 2.

Reactions: JSheridan
At this time the new Carbon UI will only be on the HWS and Hopper 3. The Hopper 2000 won't be getting it since the processor isn't fast enough to use it reliably. This could change in the future, but that is the current state of it.

So once this is pushed out I will no longer be able to view my recordings between my Hopper1 and Hopper 2?

Last edited:
I hope so, because if not I would no longer be able to view my recordings between my Hopper 1 and Hopper 2.

So once this is pushed out I will no longer be able to view my recordings between my Hopper1 and Hopper 2?
The Old UI H1 will be able to see and play back recordings from the H2 with the new UI, Just not the other way around.
And the Joeys won't be able to be linked to the old UI once they Carbon UI is on your H2.
The H2 will force the Joeys to update, even if they aren't linked the H2.
And Joeys with New UI, won't function correctly on the H1.

I might if all the bugs are fixed. How do you check temps in the new GUI?

I don't know of a way other than to put your hand on top of the receiver and see if it's hot. :)

I don't worry about that because I've got a fan on the Hoppers. IIRC you do too.

Often the Hopper 3's are running so cool that the internal fans aren't even running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts