Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgabriels

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
columbia, mo
Is the superdish fully retired? I have spotted dozens of them all over
my town. Is there an easy way to tell if they are active or not?
I saw mention of a "repoint kit" they were using to retrofit them.
What does the repoint kit look like? Is it safe to assume that if they
don't have the repoint kit that they are no longer active?

I was wanting to pick up a few of them if they were retired, but
I didn't want to go ask people for dishes that were still active.

I'm sure we have people (at least in our own Dish Network forum) who would have a picture of a retrofitted SuperDish.
But as far as I know, both 105° and 121° are completely Dish-less, pun intended.

The simple thing to do, is knock 'n ask.
"were you thinking about removing that old satellite dish from your pretty house?"
. . . or . . .
"hello, would you like to have that ugly dish removed? no charge at all!" :D

The Sd are no longer being installed. That being said those that are still working, won't be replaced until there is trouble with them as they still get 110/119. They are easy to modify for FTA and make a good addition to a array or multiple dish setup. Grab 'em up. Also the do have a linear bandstacked FSS lnb that's ok as is or good to help a fellow FTA-er who needs one.

Attachments

• SD-121 Mod1.JPG
    SD-121 Mod1.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Although the 105 and 121 may be fully retired as far as Dish Network service, there are still plenty of SuperDishes around, happily receiving 110 and 119. Sure they could be replaced with a dish500 but no reason to replace it if it's still working.

correction: 121 is still in use for a very small number of business and international channels. 105 is fully retired.

Last edited:
pepper pretty much nailed it. When Dish retired the SD (by moving locals to 110) they didnt come out and give folks D500's. SO there may be a lot of them in use for 110/119 only. Heck they may still be getting 105 but no channels on it :)

i hawve a superdish 105 here. I have not tried it for FTA yet. I may goof around and point it at 123w ku band and see what it does with a standard lnbf on it.

I have several SuperDishes new and used and already sold the new DP-34 switches that I got with them. I don't think I can get enough out of the lnb's to make it worth while for me selling them with the cost of shipping these days. I was hoping to be able to sell the dishes and was going to use them for my wireless internet business but it is not doing very well due to DSL growth and other issues. I was thinking about selling FTA and using the dishes for that but do not know if there is enough demand for FTA to start doing that. I do not see anybody else in my area advertising FTA though. With the bad economy I would think that more people would want to eliminate their tv bill but people want compelling content and I feel that they would not be happy swiching from satellite to FTA.

Stargazer, I would think that if you were selling FTA you would have to target those people who only have OTA antennae. You're 100% correct, nobody would drop their pay tv to go to FTA since most people are going to want certain channels. But for somebody who doesn't have sat, or cable, you could likely get them to supplement with FTA and be very happy with it.
I use C-Band to keep the famn damily happy and FTA for a sort of supplemental hobby for myself. I have gotten my kids into the wild news feeds tho ;-)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts