Is Universal feeling the pressure?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
A review of their latest release 'The Game' is not very flattering:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/game.html

This sounds just like what Sony did to jump start BluRay and thay put out some very bad quality product. Is it possible that Universal is going to flood the market with some old movies on HD-DVD just to get something on the shelf by cutting some corners? If the quality of HD-DVD movies goes down will a cheap player still save the format? Man, this so called war is just getting down and dirty -- cheap Walmart player, shoddy hd reproduction, no current big hit titles to flood the market with -- and losing shelf space -- what's next?

wow, if there is something bad about hd dvd printed somewhere, you know who is going to post it. were you bullied as a child?

The Game is a tier 3, just like Talladega Nights. The pq of the theatrical version of the film was not great, and neither was the DVD version. When/if War of the Worlds comes out on either format, I expect the same thing. Has to be one of the worst movies PQ wise.

Funny, I see the EXACT same thing happen with the pro HD DVD camp over Blu-ray. If this is your definition of a bullied child, then there must be quite a few of them on this site. ;)

always the same guy?? with jo?? it is always him... no offense to you jo?? but you are a broken record. i have hd dvd, i want them to stay in business of course. as far as blu ray, i could care less, but i dont WISH for it to fail just because i have the other. jo?? it seems like he WANTS hd dvd to fail...why, why could you care???

Joe and Vurbano are the two extremes of the spectrum. What you initially accused Joe of doing is the same thing that other have done from the other side. Joe is generally first to post the bad news for HD DVD and Vurbano is generally the first to post bad news for Blu-ray.

wow, if there is something bad about hd dvd printed somewhere, you know who is going to post it. were you bullied as a child?

Yes and everything that can be twisted into something bad about BD will be posted aby a few on the other side. I think that some people think it somehow or other advances their cause but it really just destroys their credibility.

It seems that it's more fun to post negative stuff about the 'other' format. It's an "internet thing", derived from the "My 'x' is better than your 'x'" deal that one goes through in childhood then evolves into things like technology, sports, and other things.

It seems that it's more fun to post negative stuff about the 'other' format. It's an "internet thing", derived from the "My 'x' is better than your 'x'" deal that one goes through in childhood then evolves into things like technology, sports, and other things.

well thought out and a good anwser. the only thing i would add is that they are still in childhood. i saw something like this on dr. phill! lol

well thought out and a good anwser. the only thing i would add is that they are still in childhood. i saw something like this on dr. phill! lol

Is Jerry Springer still on? That would be a show for Blu-ray / HD DVD supporters to hash it out, with chair throwing and cheating boy / girl friends thrown in for special affects. :D

Universal is actually cranking out all the new titles same day as DVD can't say the same for Sony. Just look at the quality of the 3 newest ones, Childeren of Mens, Smokin Aces, and The Good Shepherd.

Even WB had to sit on Matrix Trilogy for HDDVD till the BR verison was all set .

Seems you guys missed the point. Universal was putting out top notch HD conversions of their movies. I really like 'The Game' and was used to reading how well Universal had done with their HD-DVD movies. This review plainly sucks. My statement about Universal feeling the pressure is directly from the reviewer who stated that this whole disc had a rushed look to it. I found this to be out of character with their previous releases and posted for comment. When Sony was rushing out of the gate I posted bad reviews on them, especially the 'Fifth Element' which I also e-mailed to Sony my concern of the poor HD transfer they put out. I guess you guys in the HD-DVD camp don't care how poorly your movies are done as long as they are in HD-DVD. I for one do not spend my money on junk no matter how much I want it.

One disc and you say that Universal is feeling the heat? Please.... At least they are finally in "the game again" and releasing more than 1 or 2 a month again.... Gotta pick up Smokin Aces this week....

I also only get HD DVDs based on the PQ tread at AVS and here at Satguys. I'm up to about 75 movies now all Tier0-Tier2.

Still waiting on preorder on:

LOR trilogy
Ultimate Matrix Triology
Planet Earth
DVE Essentials
40 year old Virgin

I'd love to hear about the PQ on Planet Earth on a high def disc. On Dish, when there's fire, or a flock of birds, it's obvious that the compression has hurt the PQ. Not that I'd likely pay $70, but I would like to know if in fact the PQ is significantly better than off satellite. I know it can be, but that doesn't mean it will be.

I think the point from the HD-DVD camp is you were making comments based on one reporters viewpoint and had not seen the movie yourself and making a generalization. I watched it this weekend and it was not the best, but it wasn't horrible either. Definitely better than Fifth Element and Full Metal Jacket, but nowhere as nice as Children of Men or Black Hawk Down.

So Full Metal Jacket is poor, too? I planned on getting that one after I got a player. Maybe that will be a rental.

Of course, if sales don't pick up, I won't be buying anything. Just now hitting 1 million BDs? And they sell what, 10 million DVDs a month? I'm beginning to wonder if either high def format will sell a million titles a month this year.

Maybe both formats together might get to a million in one month if there are several big hits that come out at one time. Besides, there are alot of DVDs in the bargin bins at stores everywhere for $5.99 to $11.99. I don't see either BD or HD-DVD getting to that price range anytime in the next two years.

PS3 is flopping world wide

Aspect Ratio for HD DVD AND BD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)