Breaking: Universal Studios Goes Blu

Since Toshiba announced they're taking the format off the market does this come as a surprise to anyone?
Just surpised that it happened this fast (10 hours) after Toshiba's announcement. I'm guessing Paramount is not far behind. The bad part about this is having to listen to elwaylite's gloating. :D

Given that Toshiba's position was an uphill climb; I'm pleased that they did as well as they did. Contrary to the PR spin, HD-DVD was a worthy competitor and there is still no Blu-ray player on the market that can function as "advanced" as my HD-A1 is.

Cheers,

Now we will just how far behind Universal is... When will they start releasing and how fast can they release.

mike:

Generally speaking a lot of the HD-DVD pipeline could be migrated to Blu-ray overnight. It's the authoring that has the biggest difference.

Well if they can release titles right away (i.e. in less than a month) we will know they have been working on it since at least the Warner announcement.

Rather than gloating we should all be celebrating the dawn of a new HDM era. Whether you like Sony/BD or not, we can now expect to see a lot of new products flooding the market that support and take advantage of the lone next-gen format now that any reason for caution and investor hesitancy has been removed.

Just surpised that it happened this fast (10 hours) after Toshiba's announcement. I'm guessing Paramount is not far behind. The bad part about this is having to listen to elwaylite's gloating. :D

Paramount actually announced an HD DVD release today. They may bea few days behind in all this.