Paramount and Universal are going Blu!

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
After I heard all of the big news about WB going exclusive and possibly Paramount coming back and the big one is a Blu Ray drive for the 360. I just knew I would log in today and see dozens of HAHA LOL TOLD YOU SO posts but I see none. See us Blu fan boys have class. Unlike Bill Belichick :smug

By the way do we really need a War Zone forum anymore. That is kind of like having a 'Bush for President' bumper sticker ;)

Looks like teamerickson beat me to it, but yeah, there are like 16 other threads on this topic already, and some of them do include some "celebration" from the Blu crowd.

Also, while I agree with your opinion of Belichick, I'm not sure what he has to do with this particular conversation... ;)

Looks like teamerickson beat me to it, but yeah, there are like 16 other threads on this topic already, and some of them do include some "celebration" from the Blu crowd.

Also, while I agree with your opinion of Belichick, I'm not sure what he has to do with this particular conversation... ;)

Yeah I take every chance I can get to take a shot at the Pats! :)

I saw most of the threads but after almost two years of hostility I was expecting much more laughing in your face and pointing than what I've seen. :D

And to be honest I did not expect it to be over this quickly it did look like HD was SLOWLY gaining ground in sales. But the gap was just too big and too costly for studios to wait it out I guess.

Another thread with the same FUD topic.

What else is their to talk about?! The point of this forum is to talk about Blu V HD DVD. Blu has finally won the war and your surprised to see a lot of threads talking about it?
It's only going to get worse, thus my question about having a 'War Zone' forum anymore. The only topic worth talking about is the war being over.

I still feel the strongest player might have won, but not the better one. I'm gonna miss the combo discs and the no region coding.... Sigh.

Well, if Bill says it, it must be true. :rolleyes:

We remain convinced that both Paramount and Universal are moving towards announcing Blu-ray Disc support soon, and we have real reason for that belief, not the least of which is that our sources in this situation are second to none - a fact which should be readily obvious by now. Announcements could happen tomorrow, they could happen next week, they could happen next month. We'd be surprised if it took longer than a month or two. We're hearing that Universal may not announce until February at the earliest, as we're given to understand that their contract period with the HD-DVD camp expires at the end of January. So everyone needs to just take a deep breath and relax. We know that's hard, given how fast things have been moving this past week. Rest assured, Paramount and Universal are going Blu, but sorting out all the legal details and organizing the logistics takes time. The Warner move was apparently well planned, but Paramount and Universal have only just started that process. They may or may not continue releasing HD-DVDs for a time - we'll have to wait and see. But retailers are now seriously pressuring these studios to go Blu, and we'd be surprised if many mainstream stores still have HD-DVD hardware and software on their shelves come next Christmas. I suspect that Paramount especially wants to be able to announce a few actual titles when they announce their Blu-ray support, and it takes time to get all that ready. Keep in mind that things have been extremely chaotic within the home video industry this week. So everyone just take a deep breath and try to calm down, while we wait for things to play out.

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

The real shame is that it was prolonged by the HD-DVD camp six months longer than it should have been, the result of which is that thousands of people picked up HD-DVD players over the holidays and many of them are now pretty unhappy with that decision, and feel like they've been duped. You can bet there are a lot of HD-DVD players being returned to stores right now, and eBay is suddenly flush with them. No surprise.

From Bill @ the bits.

I find it surprising , no wait, interesting that he feels that HD DVD fans have been "Duped" when the Blu-ray fans are being "duped" by this profile 1.0,1.1,2.0 mess. I know I know the PS3 is fine but I talking about the people who now are going out to buy the Blu players that are 1.0 or maybe if lucky1.1. Aren't those people been duped as well. And the worst part about it is the makers of the player could give a rat a$$ about it.

Since it looks like Blu is going to win, fine no problem, just can't wait for all the backlash when these people find out there player will only play the movie and not a lot of the extras that will be coming.

To me that is what will make the HD Disc media special. The internet features and PIP making of. Guess I will have to wait till 4th quater for a 2.0 player then Blu will have another customer. That way I won't be duped by the the Blu group. Unless something unheard of happens.

Shawn

Last edited:
Universal went it alone for 18+ months. However, this is anyone's guess. I hope they both hold out until profile 2.0 to at least save face on what they claimed were issues with Blu-Ray's lack of interactivity.

I did not post it because I said I would not. Now that it has, I can say the same people that talked WB up before it happened are on this.

Safe to say, Uni and Para are coming, regardless of what you think of Bill.

Universal went it alone for 18+ months. However, this is anyone's guess. I hope they both hold out until profile 2.0 to at least save face on what they claimed were issues with Blu-Ray's lack of interactivity.

Universal was never alone, WB, Paramount and others were making HD-DVDs (and still are, at least for a few more months).

I wonder if I could get a good price on ebay for my 360 HD-DVD player and Ultimate Matrix HD-DVD collection? :) I haven't even sent in the 5 free voucher yet, so maybe it'd be worth it for someone...

I am sure there are lots of desperate HD-DVD'ers on ebay, take advantage of their weakness!

Blu will have won when a 2.0 compliant player can be bought for 149.00 or less...

That wont happen until sometime in .....late 08/09?

Until that happens DVD's and HD downloads are the real winners.

Blu will have won when a 2.0 compliant player can be bought for 149.00 or less...

That wont happen until sometime in .....late 08/09?

Until that happens DVD's and HD downloads are the real winners.

Yepp, because these low prices really helped toshiba win right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts