Judge Tentatively Rules in Favor of Dish in Fox’s AutoHop Challenge

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
By Ted Johnson, Variety.com - Oct. 18, 2014

A federal judge indicated a tentative decision that Dish Network isn’t violating copyright law in its offering of a service that allows subscribers to record primetime programs with commercials automatically deleted.

U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee’s tentative ruling in favor of Dish Network’s AutoHop features isn’t a surprise. She has sided with the company in previous court rulings as Fox challenged the legality of the service.

She did, however, say that Fox may have a claim for breach of contract over some of the copying functions of Dish’s services. Fox has argued that Dish’s Primetime Anytime service, in which entire nights’ worth of programming is automatically recorded for a subscriber, violates its contract agreement with Dish, which prohibits them from offering its content on video-on-demand.

Dish, on the other hand, has said that the function works like a DVR, and it’s the consumer making the copy, not the company. They have cited the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling in the 1984 Sony Betamax case that allows for consumers to make personal copies of copyrighted programming.

Gee did indicate that she was leaning toward Fox when it came to Dish’s offering of an Anywhere feature that allows subscribers to use remote devices to watch live streams of broadcast programming. The Anywhere feature uses Sling technology. The Supreme Court in June ruled that Aereo was infringing on copyrights when it offered streams of broadcast programming via a system of remote antennas.

Gee and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals had previously sided with Dish when Fox sought an injunction to halt the service.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/jud...of-dish-in-foxs-autohop-challenge-1201333347/

thanks

Allen bluegras

ok guys what do you think of this?dish has been adding all the broadcast and cable networks including fox video ondemand for the last month or so.

Allen bluegras

I see it as Fox will get the same deal as ABC. 3 days then auto hop back on

This may not be good enough for FOX though. Not being able to stream live programming could set a precedent. Whatever is ruled for FOX others would demand the same and could end sling functionality for live programming. It would still have functional use for previously recorded shows or perhaps a workaround could allow it to show the content delayed (since it would not be live).

This may not be good enough for FOX though. Not being able to stream live programming could set a precedent. Whatever is ruled for FOX others would demand the same and could end sling functionality for live programming. It would still have functional use for previously recorded shows or perhaps a workaround could allow it to show the content delayed (since it would not be live).
Technically, it is delayed as the signal first goes to the home before being slung. The delay is obviously very short. :)

Fox and the other networks will probably want no viewing of the program at all while it is being aired to prevent a delayed viewing of the program while it is still being aired.

You know I like the convenience of being able to watch commercial free, but it is not that hard to be able to skip the commercials myself. If they decide it is too costly on DISH 's part, I can live without auto hop. I just don't want to lose Prime time anytime feature.

Fox and the other networks will probably want no viewing of the program at all while it is being aired to prevent a delayed viewing of the program while it is still being aired.
Disney/ABC has no problem with it. It's the way more people will watch TV in the near future. No sense fighting it.

Reactions: rajmarie
I think fox just isn't ready to say they lost. They will drag it out until the last minute, but once the other companies came around(especially Disney/abc), the case was virtually over. Now it is just going to come down to the retrans rights.

Didn't the slingbox already get vetted in court way back when it first started up? Memory is hazy but I thought this went through all the challenges back then and came out ok. We are not talking new technology here so I guess it's a little confusing to me why sling would suddenly be under fire. It's at least 10 years old, isn't it?

Think that's why she is waiting to rule. So she can research it, since both sides made their argument, including what we are talking about.

Disney/ABC has no problem with it. It's the way more people will watch TV in the near future. No sense fighting it.

Over the years have seen that Fox is one of the most "out of date" broadcaster out there. They have been fighting people who pay for their channel (or lets say are forced to pay for their channel while having nothing to watch on it).

I feel like they have some of the best programming, ranging from animation domination, to bones, and Brooklyn nine nine. The problem is, with all this great programming, they stay behind the times as far as negotiations, and how to implement new ways for people to get their content. They want to hold onto the old ways, and not accept any new technology or methods, even while its a dying trend.

Others may have contracts renew before FOX and they may not demand what FOX is demanding. If FOX ends up being the odd one out then they may very well be just that, "out".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)