Last and Next 3D Movie

Watched "Arabia" a 46 minute 3D documentary on Netflix 3D last night. This was surprisingly well done with excellent depth in many scenes. The story was very interesting too. If you can get Netflix 3D this one is worth the time. Audio also had excellent surround placement.

I also saw some additional 3D content listed in the 3D section of Netflix but those all seemed to be animated programs.

Wolverine too! Was better than I expected. It did have some great distance shots that benefited from 3D, I thought. Not a lot of negative parallax that some need for it to be good 3D.

I will be spending lots of time editing 3D over the next couple weeks. first up will be the CES display at the LG booth of their 3D wall in OLED panels. After that, I want to start work on Carlsbad Caverns tour.

I really like Wolverine too. I really popped.

Frozen 3D

Excellent 3D movie with fabulous sound track. This is a must have in the collection and will be watching it often. The package includes special features and a 2D version as well. I can see why it was such a box office hit. Grandkids will be over Friday to watch it.

I have Cloudy 2 and will probably watch that tomorrow night.

Gravity 3D. I thought the movie and special effects were both good. I heard great things about the 3D so that is the blu-ray I chose to watch. I think I would have rather watched it in 2D or gone to see it in IMAX 3D though. I know some people complained about the science behind it but since I don't have an understanding of that stuff it wasn't an issue for me. The lossless sound was also very good.

I'm not sure if it's my setup or my eyes but 3D in dark scenes just doesn't work very well for me. I knew that going in so it's more my fault than the movie's. Still, 3D tends to work better for me in bright scenes and there are very few of those in this movie.

Frozen 3D

Excellent 3D movie with fabulous sound track. This is a must have in the collection and will be watching it often. The package includes special features and a 2D version as well. I can see why it was such a box office hit. Grandkids will be over Friday to watch it.

I have Cloudy 2 and will probably watch that tomorrow night.
Don,

Where'd you pick up the 3D version?

S~

It is now available for digital download, the full box set of 3D, 2D and extra features, from Vudu 3D on Feb 25th.

It is expensive, for sure, at $36 for the set.

Also, some over at AVSForum have claimed to order the BD 3D for $30US preorder through AmazonUK expected to ship March 31. I don't see this as a money saving, but those ordering the UK version don't want to wait and don't like movies over the internet.

I think the 2D has been announced for March 18 release in BD.

We watched the 2D yesterday because the 2 yr old grandson can't wear 3D glasses yet. After seeing the 3D, the 2D is... well... Flat! and lacks inspiration ( for me) There are many scenes in the 3D that just fill up the room with the action.

I understand that the 3D/2D US box set will be released in the US for $55 Retail in late May or June. This is what I will call a rumor source. :)

Cloudy with Meatballs was OK 3D. The kids liked it but, IMO, just another average animated kids story. I watched about 3/4 of it and got called away so I'll have to watch it later to see how it ends.

king3pj- Is Gravity a full screen 3D movie or is it in scope AR? (2.35:1)

I saw it in large screen IMAX3D and it was well done. Bigger the picture area for Gravity 3D the better.

king3pj- Is Gravity a full screen 3D movie or is it in scope AR? (2.35:1)

I saw it in large screen IMAX3D and it was well done. Bigger the picture area for Gravity 3D the better.

It was not full screen. Full screen 3D definitely works better for me. So does bright 3D. This movie was good but it didn't have either of those qualities. I don't blame the movie though. It's either a limitation of my setup or my eyes. I knew it this would probably be the case going in but the 3D was getting such high reviews that I wanted to see it that way.

For Sure. This 3D Bluray is VERY easily worthy of demo material. Clarity is superb and the 3D added a lot to it! Glad I watched it in 3D the first time, dont know if its a repeat watching movie, but the Wife and I loved it. Crazy there are really only two actors in it.

Watched Thor last night using Sony Digital download rental.

Many movies are not worthy of my money to purchase the disk even in 3D for a variety of reasons. This is one that I'm glad I rented on digital download. It is dark and crushed, lacking contrast throughout which is one sure way to get a big thumbs down from me. While the 3D was OK, it did not take advantage of several opportunities to fill the Z space with the show. It was like the director just let an intern dabble with the 3D to get experience. The only interesting part of the movie for me was Natalie Portman and I always enjoy seeing her in any movie.