Lifetime Ala Carte?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Of course it's PR, and Lifetime won't accept, but the offer is out there and by not accepting Lifetime is exposed/painted as the greedy bad guy. Lifetimes disingenuous media campaign just hit an iceberg. Well played Charles!

NightRyder

Last edited:
I agree that Lifetime won't accept it, but at this point, I'd pay for it to shut the wife up. I can't stand these channels, but she likes them. Hell, I even told her I would see how much the cable co would charge to get the package that has Lifetime in it (and still keep Dish).

Lifetime will NEVER agree to ala carte. They stand to lose substantially more than agreeing to what Dish Network was willing to offer to pay them to be on the basic tier or what they were getting before their contract expired. Dish Network knows they will say no. It never hurts to ask though. Lifetime could ask for double the amount and hope that at least half the subs take it so that they can make just as much. It wont happen though.

Subscribers would complain that they could get it for free on DirecTv as it is already included in the packages.

If Lifetime says no then Dish Network can say that Lifetime is the one denying the women of their channel and Lifetime will be double talking saying that Dish Network is denying women of their service when they deny their service on Dish Network themselves. It will make the women's groups look cheesier than they already are. It will show those women who is really denying them of their Lifetime service.

Last edited:
This is a very fair offer. Dish says we'll pay you whatever you want, Lifetime has been complaining the whole time how they have to have the amount they proposed, so what's the problem? It's either $0 a month from Dish, or $1(I assume)x amount of subs. IMO Lifetime might accept this due to retransmission not being in their hand anymore, and Dish being ready to replace their service.

NightRyder said:
Of course it's PR, and Lifetime won't accept, but the offer is out there and by not accepting Lifetime is exposed/painted as the greedy bad guy. Lifetimes disingenuous media campaign just hit an iceberg. Well played Charles!

NightRyder
This Dish Network/Lifetime dispute is playing out like a bad Soap Opera. It's hard to believe, but the Lifetime threads may be the most popular topic on SatelliteGuys.:eek:

rtt2 said:
The real reason is Lifetime will not accept this is becaus their advertisment rates will go down due to the lack of HH viewers

It's either this or NO Dish viewers, Lifetime would be wise to accept. They really have no comeback for this offer.

Great idea

We have not missed Lifetime in this house, but if you have you can decide if you want to pay it's increased fee on your own. Of course I cannot see Lifetime accepting this. Before the negotiations they could say to it's advertisers that we have 12 million subscribers(not actual viewers) from Dish, and then have to shrink down to maybe a 1 million if it went ala carte. (I don't believe that many will sign up for it, but lets be generous) They would have to admit that their viewership is really low. The advertisers would relook at how much they are paying for cable and direct. I think they would rather keep trying to point to Charlie as a woman hating bully. (which he isn't, he just a ball breaker during negotiations with anyone)

Chris Walker said:
This is a very fair offer. Dish says we'll pay you whatever you want, Lifetime has been complaining the whole time how they have to have the amount they proposed, so what's the problem? It's either $0 a month from Dish, or $1(I assume)x amount of subs. IMO Lifetime might accept this due to retransmission not being in their hand anymore, and Dish being ready to replace their service.
So in additional to the upcoming price increase (Feb 1st), members will also be required to pay additional funds for Lifetime? I will consider this a serious offer if Charlie allows customers to drop unwanted channels (ala carte) and refund the difference ~OR~ he rolls back the February price increases. It should be interesting to hear Lifetime Networks reply.

I always find it amusing how with both Lifetime and YES many find it "unfair" that Dish offer to pay whatever the channel provider wants as long as the channel is sold a la carte. It is an indefensible position to say that it isn't fair that a product has to stand on its own.

See ya
Tony

riffjim4069 said:
So in additional to the upcoming price increase (Feb 1st), members will also be required to pay additional funds for Lifetime? I will consider this a serious offer if Charlie allows customers to drop unwanted channels (ala carte) and refund the difference ~OR~ he rolls back the February price increases. It should be interesting to hear Lifetime Networks reply.

*sigh*

The price increase in February is for:
ESPN/Disney/ABC (most of tje increase--probably 75% of the increase)
Viacom/CBS (remember the Nick Toons fiasco?)
Scripps
NFL Network
CSTV
and other programmers who all raised their rates but "a few pennies a month".

See ya
Tony

boogerbear said:
We have not missed Lifetime in this house, but if you have you can decide if you want to pay it's increased fee on your own. Of course I cannot see Lifetime accepting this. Before the negotiations they could say to it's advertisers that we have 12 million subscribers(not actual viewers) from Dish, and then have to shrink down to maybe a 1 million if it went ala carte. (I don't believe that many will sign up for it, but lets be generous) They would have to admit that their viewership is really low. The advertisers would relook at how much they are paying for cable and direct. I think they would rather keep trying to point to Charlie as a woman hating bully. (which he isn't, he just a ball breaker during negotiations with anyone)

But how can Lifetime respond to this offer other than ignoring it or accepting it? Dish is willing to pay them EXACTLY what they want, so what comeback can they use if they turn him down?

NightRyder said:

NightRyder

This si true fora very small number of people---people who follow all this but are incredibly naive.

GOHAWKS said:
I wish E* would work something out with OLN, at least give us the option.

Right on! Better still, make everthing a la carte and let us trade our unwanted channels for those we want. I'd trade all of my Spanish channnels for OLN and Lifetime.

This latest move isn't worthy of a chess match -- it has been reduced to a game of chinese checkers...

Scott Greczkowski said:
No matter what Lifetime says I bet you Charlie is sitting somewhere with a big grin on his face.
:D

Scott, I think D* and the cable companies are grinning even bigger, as they gain customers dropping E* for them. Charlie better remember, when you take Lifetime away from women, they get angry. Lifetime is running commercials here in the Orlando area, on all the local stations, advising people to drop E* and subscribe to D* or Brighthouse Cable.

Last edited:
[update 8:38PM]

Just got this in my email box...

You recently received my previous email providing an update on EchoStars offer to provide Lifetime channel on an a la carte basis. To clarify, EchoStar is willing to provide this channel to its customers who want to watch it at no additional charge to the customer. The channel would then remain unavailable to customers who dont want it. We continue to ask, why should our customers pay for a channel they dont watch? Were willing to pay Lifetime the most recent rate proposed to us by Lifetime for the a la carte channel. We have not yet received a response from Lifetime.

Once again, we have been unable to reach a reasonable rate for carriage of Lifetime channel in DISH Networks Americas Top 60 package. But we are willing to provide the channel for those customers who request it for free on a stand alone basis.

Scott Greczkowski said:
[update 8:38PM]

Just got this in my email box...

[/LEFT]

Ok so no additional cost, I'll even take it then. Lifetime might accept this and then put all over their website to call Dish and tell them you want Lifetime. Everybody is happy, right?

It's an assault on all things female, of course Lifetime will make a movie about it.
Let's see now: "Haunted by an Echo" or maybe: "The damage this Dish has done".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts