Lifetime Gets Backup in EchoStar Spat

Plus, whatever they wanted to charge for their third channel, Lifetime Real Women, which they were wanting Dish to carry in addition to the other two. They never mention that part!

Everytime I post this in a Lifetime thread, the question of math pops up in another thread......

Here's a likely ballpark pricing scenario assuming both sides are telling the truth:

Current:
Lifetime - $0.42
LMC - $0.32

First Year: 6% increase ($0.044)
Second Year: 8%
Third Year: 9%

Both channels go from $0.74 current to $0.923 by the end of the third year (25% increase - "not even close to 76%")

Additionally, "Lifetime Real Women" is thrown into the mix with the same annual percentages so the first year looks like:
Lifetime - $0.445
LMC - $0.339
LRW - $0.323

and by the third year:
Lifetime - $0.524
LMC - $0.399
LRW - $0.381

Total: $1.304 (76% increase over the current $0.74)

Dish Network is basically saying that they dont want the extra channel and are forced to carry it in order to keep Lifetime and LMN on the air. Does Nicktoons ring a bell?

Everyone keeps saying that Lifetime wants Dish to carry a third channel? Is this a proven fact, or are alot of people just assuming this is the case? Where is this stated at?

Also, alot of people happen to like what some of you call "victim movies". They are true stories, some people like movies about things that really happened. They don't always portray women as victims. I saw a movie on Lifetime where Judith Light played a woman who was battering her husband. I've seen movies about different celebrities lives, like Great Balls of Fire, The Buddy Holly Story, Coal Miner's Daughter, countless others.
In addition, alot of true stories are usually about someone getting hurt. True stories about every day mundane life wouldn't be interesting to watch unless you like reality shows, which alot of people do not like. The Lifetime channels show alot of movies or television shows that appeal to an older audience. Every channel out there shouldn't always be targeted for the younger viewers.

Also, maybe women who are being abused, or have been in the past like watching movies that they can relate to. Contrary to popular belief here, there are alot of women out there being abused. If not physically, at least emotionally. I'm genuinely happy for those that are happily married and enjoy watching ballgames and cop movies with their hubbies and the thought of watching a "victimization movie" would contradict all they believe in. But some of us enjoy those sad movies that require a box of Kleenex to watch. Sometimes it is nice to watch something that stimulates the emotional senses. You think because of these movies that women get it in their head that "men are bad"? Or that women will nag more? Cmon guys, the battle of the sexes was going on long before there even was a Lifetime channel. Please don't blame them for that.

So I oppose Dish taking off Lifetime (and Lifetime states that they offered a contract extension while negotiations were being made, but Charlie pulled the plug anyway). Yes, I know, I am only going by what Lifetime said. But alot of you are only going by what Dish said as well. So I oppose, but the belief here seems to be that if women oppose anything, it is looked at as whining, or pms'ing, or throwing a hissy. It looks like there is alot of male whining and throwing hissys are going on right here on this board. Whining and nagging about women's nagging. Or maybe it should be called "bull stomping" "rooster crowing", or "battle calling".

I hope that when some of the sports channels start asking for more money, that Charlie pulls the plug on every one of them. I bet there would be alot of bull nostrils flaring then. Oh, J/K, j/k, j/k. That should erase what I just said, shouldn't it? ;)

luvmovies said:
Everyone keeps saying that Lifetime wants Dish to carry a third channel? Is this a proven fact, or are alot of people just assuming this is the case? Where is this stated at?

It was in one of the "Open Letters" to the public. It would also be consistent with every other content provider who has a new channel and a new contract to negotiate. Limeime very deliberately avoided addressing LRW in their statements qualifying their numbers by always specifying Lifetime and LMC specifically.

Can we change the title to "Lifetime get their panties in a bunch over E*"? :D

BTW, as far as "hissy fits" go, I doubt you'll find many people that wouldn't apply the same terminology to Charlie occasionally.

korsjs said:
you gotta love these women groups. the NOW gang is my favorite.:D
Rush Limbaugh calls them the NAGS--the National Association of Gals.

I mean c'mon--dropping Lifetime will deny women important access to health and social issues? Jesus.

luvmovies said:
I hope that when some of the sports channels start asking for more money, that Charlie pulls the plug on every one of them.

Hell, be my guest! Pull em all or stick em in ala carte where they belong. They're all blocked on my two receivers anyway.

(I don't think that was the response you were after though) :devil:

I am outraged about your decision to pull Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off the air. You are denying millions of viewers like me the programming I love and have come to depend on. There is no substitute for Lifetime. Lifetime not only offers great entertainment but critical and inspiring information that's essential to women and their families. Lifetime connects us to the resources and support we need, even offering lifesaving information, especially the hotlines and websites featured after the networks' movies and programs.

Your drastic actions suggest that you do not care about what women want and what's in their best interest. Please put Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network back on the air! We want and deserve this programming. You are robbing women of their favorite channels and robbing their pocketbooks by making them pay for less. We will continue to speak out until you rectify this situation. I am going to encourage everyone I know who is a DISH subscriber to ask for a rebate and switch services.

It's called negotiations and leverage. Lifetime thought they had it since E* has caved to other extortion attempts by providers in previous negotiations. However, Lifetime is not CBS or Nickelodeon. After Lifetime's demands come back to reality it will be back... my guess is Feb. 1st.

PLUS, after then you will have Oxygen and Fine Living as well. The inconvenience is temporary and the improvement is permanent. Stay tuned.....

mitchflorida said:
I am outraged about your decision to pull Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off the air. You are denying millions of viewers like me the programming I love and have come to depend on. There is no substitute for Lifetime. Lifetime not only offers great entertainment but critical and inspiring information that's essential to women and their families. Lifetime connects us to the resources and support we need, even offering lifesaving information, especially the hotlines and websites featured after the networks' movies and programs.
Your drastic actions suggest that you do not care about what women want and what's in their best interest. Please put Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network back on the air! We want and deserve this programming. You are robbing women of their favorite channels and robbing their pocketbooks by making them pay for less. We will continue to speak out until you rectify this situation. I am going to encourage everyone I know who is a DISH subscriber to ask for a rebate and switch services.

Wow, Lifetime has their hand so far up your ass, I'd swear I saw your lips moving.

Was that directly from their press release?

Let me have a turn......

"Neither me nor my wife could care less about Lifetime. Seeing women perpetually victimized in TV movies of the week, followed by reruns of sitcoms she could care less about is not high on our wish list for channels of interest to us. Fine Living has provided 1000% more viewing satisfaction in our household following its addition than the Lifetime networks ever did, and we look forward to enjoying the channel for years to come. In addition we support Mr. Ergen is his attempts to keep our subscription fees low, especially when faced with extortion attempts that would raise my rates 75% or force me to pay for another channel in a forced bundle with content that has no interest to me or my family. If you dispute Mr. Ergen's analysis of the cost increase, then feel free to remove the gag order on him that your lawyers have required and feel free to explore a solution in an open forum. If you choose not to pursue this route, revise your request to a number closer to the cost of living increases since your last contract or show proper cause as to why you deserve an increase larger than that. Otherwise, go away and we wish you luck as you try and convince your advertisers that 12,000,000 potential households full of eyeballs lost were worth the projected benefits of the hardball tactics you used in this renegotiation."

Last edited:
mitchflorida said:
Mitch...please dont let your wife post under your login anymore.

By removing Lifetime as an option for your subscribers, millions of women will not get the inspiration and support they need and deserve on vital issues such as breast cancer, heart disease, violence against women, economic equality and more.
Your drastic, unnecessary actions and unwillingness to restore Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network to the air and to continue working toward an agreement suggest that you do not listen to what women want and do not have their best interests in mind.

mitchflorida said:
By removing Lifetime as an option for your subscribers, millions of women will not get the inspiration and support they need and deserve on vital issues such as breast cancer, heart disease, violence against women, economic equality and more.
Your drastic, unnecessary actions and unwillingness to restore Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network to the air and to continue working toward an agreement suggest that you do not listen to what women want and do not have their best interests in mind.

LOL! Oh wow. That is just sad on so many different levels. !sadroll

How much is Lifetime paying you to post that garbage?

Scott Greczkowski said:
I think lifetime is mad I used their website to send over 100 emails to Charlie Ergen thanking him for getting rid of Lifetime. :D

Ha ha!

Better be careful though, they'll claim you as 10 votes "in support" of bringing it back based on how many people used the module. They probably have blocked emails coming from Lifetime at this point anyway......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)