Looking for a satellite finder with Signal and Quality on LCD Screen

Status
Please reply by conversation.
99% of the time that's true. I would think the same. But for example. If you tweak some Ku transponders on 97W you will lose others.

That's why in lyngsat you have to look each satellite not the whole xxW like amazonas 2/3 in where both belongs to 61W.

Now with 97W it seems to be only one satellite on it so I'm wondering why you are loosing some transponders when you tune others.

Interference on 97W 11842 H (for example) from 95W, causes one to have to aim slightly West to get good signal on that frequency.
Bob

?..

It would be nice to have the S2 compatible meter but it’s just not in the cards for me.

So it looks like that $400 unit will be my best hope.

I’ll just have to try and work around the limitations of not being S2 capable.......

I have had a used SatBuddy for a few years. Bought it used for around $700 long ago and it is a wonder. I never use the full capabilities of the meter because it is not used everyday now. Once in a while I forget about the S2 TP issue and spend an inordinate amount of time getting a satellite until I wake up and realize the meter doesn't read them.

But there is no greater joy than seeing and hearing the LOCKED single!

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1400420631.282879.jpg

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I see this meter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-DHL-EM...0993?pt=US_Signal_Finders&hash=item3a907997d1

It says it has a spectrum analyzer but thought someone on here in the past said it was not a real spectrum analyzer and does not work really well or that it does not work like the true spectrum analyzers where its not showing a live analyzer but has to scan the whole satellite first to get a display.

I dont see people recommending these sathero meters like they do the super buddy meters.

I forgot about the dvb-s2 and am surprised that they did not equip the super buddy with this. I tried looking for the AI turbo meter as well and could not find any at all except on Applied Instruments website and they were expensive. Was hoping to find one of those used for a decent price. For the satellites that I have to tune, dvb-s2 is not relevant to me at this point but it would have been nice to had some future proofing. Glorystar, Directv SWM and Dish Network are the main ones I have to tune in on my installs/service calls. I dont see any of them going to dvb-s2 anytime soon.

A secondary meter as you mentioned Dee is probably a good idea and what I may do if I see the need for tuning in those particular satellites. I always keep a needle analog meter for backup because they are cheap (around $8 shipped) and if you can get the neighboring satellite then you will see the needle move going to the next one.

I had looked very seriously at the sat hero 600 HD you mentioned.
For FTA only I think it would be OK.
But, it does not do pay stuff. It doesn't do 8psk turbo at all and I doubt it does directv stuff either since they don't mention that.

I don't think there are any meters out there that are pro grade that do it all, at least that are affordable.
I too looked for the AI Turbo and it's waaaaaay expensive and zero used ones are to be found.

I've come to the assumption that if you need to do both FTA and pay that it's best to just buy two meters.

For me I'm thinking that a Super Buddy and a SatHero 200-HD working in a chain would take care of anything that I personally would need to do. Plus if I ever need to tweak a dish for a friend I can do that too. I can buy the two meters separately.
To lessen the sting.

If I had money to burn I would get the AI Turbo S2.
But, I don't. :(

Sent from my ancient Jurasic iPad using Tapatalk.

I :heart My AI Turbo S2. And I used it to make a "C Note" yesterday ;)

I hate to charge my friends but my enemies don't do business with me. And they are glad I have an expensive tool to use on their stuff so they don't have to buy or learn how to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee_Ann
I :heart My AI Turbo S2. And I used it to make a "C Note" yesterday ;)

Now THAT is something to consider. It could pay for itself quite easily if one were so inclined.

Me, not being a pro and with no desire to be one, I might get a few gratuities along the way from a friend here and there so it would take ME several lifetimes to recoup the cost.

Dang I wish I could spring for the AI Turbo S2 !!!

I found a used one listed on Amazon for $700.

A new one, with tax and shipping would likely run over $1,000.... :cry:

I bought my meter when I lost my job. I knew I wouldn't have that much cash laying around for long. It has more than paid for itself. And I'm not trying to get work. It finds me. Nobody does FTA like an FTAer :)

Hello All
I came across a thread on another forum and there is Phone APP for android and Iphone call EBSpro Mobile and they claim it works very good, check it out.
Regards.
Tunder

I got my Super Buddy 29 meter a few days ago and it works great. Seems to find a lock quicker than the FirstStrike meter and you can see the screen easily without any issue at all in the bright sun which is a huge plus. Much more advanced than a FirstStrike.

Well it all came to a boil at long last. I spent a WEEK reprogramming my cheap-o Chinese non S2 meter. It is impossible for you to upgrade it and you can not edit anything on a PC then upload it into the meter via USB.
THE ONLY WAY you can program it is by hand, manually entering every satellite, naming them with a stupid joy(less)stick over a stupid ABCDEFG ‘keyboard’ (1985 Speak-n-Spell) and entering every frequency and transponder manually using the same stupid joy(less)stick. It’s tedious and unforgiving. And you can’t sort it once it’s in. So you have to plan out in advance every single entry. And if you blind scan a satellite you’ll just add more rubbish to the list that is nigh impossible to remove without messing everything else up. It’s a rubbish meter, period. So I did that, I wiped it clean and manually entered every single NA satellite into it. Then I wiped my Birdog and put in as many NA satellites as I could. However, since it’s like their Jurassic model, it only holds 16 entries. And since you have to have separate entries for H and V, you can only have EIGHT satellites in it at once. And then you download them from their Jurassic website which does not tell you if the profiles you are downloading are up to date or if they are 10 years old. You can’t examine them. It doesn’t tell you what transponder they look for. It’s STUPID and it’s RUBBISH! And it’s JURASSIC! !!

I tried chaining the two Jurassic meters together today to see if it would bring me up to maybe the Cretaceous era in ability but, no. It didn’t.
I still was totally unable to tweak a dish for 125w. I still can’t tweak my C-band dishes for RetroTV or RTV or whatever it is Luken is calling it this week.
I can’t tweak any dish to any S2 signals, at all. I can’t tweak my dishes to Turbo 8psk. The bloody things don’t see ANY 8psk at all.

And then my dad called and he is having trouble again with his dish. He’s having trouble with 125w as well.
Well, we had a discussion and we are going to go halves on the cost of a brand new AI Turbo S2 next week.

Enough is enough. My dad has become quite attached to his PBS and he’s had enough too.

I hope, keyword is hope, to have a proper meter next week.

Attachments

• IMG_9554.jpg
    IMG_9554.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9544.jpg
    IMG_9544.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 117
Question.. Who or where would be the best place to buy one? I know this sounds crude of me but I would prefer to buy from out of state to save tax. I mean, good grief, at $859, if I pay tax and any form of shipping above UPS Tortoise it would run me near $1,000... Are there any vendors here that sell the AI Turbo S2 that can make me a deal I can’t refuse?

Thanks.. :)

Did they charge you sales tax? As I understand it, places that sell online have to charge you state sales tax as long as they have a physical presence in your state.
Amazon opened a place in Texas and thus began charging Texas state sales tax even though my purchases are usually shipped from either California or Kentucky (huh?)...

I was also distressed to learn via the AI website that Fedex shipping is nearly $50. I am absolutely FURIOUS with United Package Smashers and will never have anything to do with them ever again, not if I have anything to say about it.
WORST shipping company EVER.

I guess I’ll just have to hit all those links and see who’s got the best deal. This is a substantial chunk of money so I really have to try to be frugal if at all possible.

After testing for a few weeks my Sathero 200 I have to say I'm starting to love it. Is not perfect but when convined with an el cheapo analog sat finder I got very good results.

After testing for a few weeks my Sathero 200 I have to say I'm starting to love it. Is not perfect but when convined with an el cheapo analog sat finder I got very good results.
Glad to see you are getting along with it better. I always tell people this is not a top of the line meter but works great for the hobbyist. I have no problems with mine on S2 signals(yes it jumps a little but so what, I'm not during the LED bar at top). I use the more important numbers on the display. I also use it to align my Dish Network dish or a family members with ease.

Posted via Kindle Fire HD

Glad to see you are getting along with it better. I always tell people this is not a top of the line meter but works great for the hobbyist. I have no problems with mine on S2 signals(yes it jumps a little but so what, I'm not during the LED bar at top). I use the more important numbers on the display. I also use it to align my Dish Network dish or a family members with ease.

Posted via Kindle Fire HD

Yeah I only need DVB-S, DVB-S2 and Dish so with dish I use DVB-S transponders so this convination of two lnbs have made my life easier.

By the way I plug both in chain, LNB -> Analog Sat Finder -> SatHero

is that the best convination?

Did they charge you sales tax? As I understand it, places that sell online have to charge you state sales tax as long as they have a physical presence in your state.
Amazon opened a place in Texas and thus began charging Texas state sales tax even though my purchases are usually shipped from either California or Kentucky (huh?)...

I was also distressed to learn via the AI website that Fedex shipping is nearly $50. I am absolutely FURIOUS with United Package Smashers and will never have anything to do with them ever again, not if I have anything to say about it.
WORST shipping company EVER.

I guess I’ll just have to hit all those links and see who’s got the best deal. This is a substantial chunk of money so I really have to try to be frugal if at all possible.
We don't do sales tax in Montana. :) $50 shipping?? wow that is a bite. I didn't think it cost me that much. I checked it was $14 via Package Smashers ;)

We don't do sales tax in Montana. :) $50 shipping?? wow that is a bite. I didn't think it cost me that much. I checked it was $14 via Package Smashers ;)

The cheapest FedEx rate they had to my place was $46 and change.

That's absurd.

But I won't do business with UPS ever again for a multitude of reasons, I'm tired of them smashing EVERYTHING and they P****D ME OFF a few weeks ago when I went to one of their offices. I was lucky I didn't get arrested. I momentarily considered the ramifications of an assault charge. But I came to my senses, flipped them all off individually and burned the paint off the walls with some choice words. I will not use United Package Smashers ever again.

I'll just have to keep looking. I have a while before I can order anyway.

I wonder, does Saudon have a walk in store in Houston? I would rather walk in a store and pay the tax than order through the Internet.

Edit:

I googled Saudon and did a streetview of his store address. It looks like an abandoned car lot.
I guess he doesn't have a physical store front anymore.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.