Lost Chicago Locals?

I don't know what you liked about Duluth locals? There news is like a Jr. high AV class for training news men. I guess I could try Minneapolis I think I am in spot beam range, I guess I just moved again LOL, Oh but my billing address is still the same, LOL

Why is it strange for people to want there home town locals? Just because you move you are still home town at heart. It's not like Chicago is some small hick town, it has a hell of a lot more home town people than San Fran. I guess the thing that is going to piss me off the most is that in order to watch my Chicago Bears now I am going to have to switch to D* and get the NFL package.

Last edited:
Why is it strange for people to want there home town locals? Just because you move you are still home town at heart. It's not like Chicago is some small hick town, it has a hell of a lot more home town people than San Fran. I guess the thing that is going to piss me off the most is that in order to watch my Chicago Bears now I am going to have to switch to D* and get the NFL package.

It isn't strange at all for people to want to get locals from markets other than the one in which they reside. Unfortunately, the broadcast industry successfully lobbied federal lawmakers dedcades ago to protect their franchises and market territories. In some cases you might be able to get locals from an adjoining market if they meet the significantly viewed test. This is usually seen most often with cablecos. The DBS providers have had more limited bandwidth to date so providing significantly viewed locals from other markets hasn't been a very realistic option. The other option for RVers is the RV exception for receiving distants, although that usually boils down to east coast and west coast markets being received. My hometown market is much smaller than Chicago, but some of the stations there have their newscasts or portions thereof available via the internet, so that's an option. WBBM usually has a good internet presence.

What is wrong is that I have to get my locals from another state. I'm in WI. 85 miles from Duluth MN. but have to get Duluth MN locals, news and sports forced on me. Even though they are a border city they always favor MN news and sports. Anything in WI. is just a small side note. Most of you just don't realize what it's like.

I see, so Chicago gives you a whole lot of Wisconsin news? Face it, you're just pissed because you can't see the Bears any longer! You will get to see some Packer football however... ;)

What is wrong is that I have to get my locals from another state. I'm in WI. 85 miles from Duluth MN. but have to get Duluth MN locals, news and sports forced on me. Even though they are a border city they always favor MN news and sports. Anything in WI. is just a small side note. Most of you just don't realize what it's like.

so, how much Wisconsin news and sports do those Chicago locals give you that the Minnesota locals don't exactly?

I don't know what you liked about Duluth locals?
well until a couple years ago WDIO (ABC) carried the UMD Bulldog hockey games ;)
But its nice to watch news that the lead story or two isnt murders or something of the nature like it is in Mpls.

There news is like a Jr. high AV class for training news men.
The news folks have been there for years. Heck Denny has been the lead anchor on channel 10 has been there 41 years :eek:

The northern and western part of Wisconsin is in a MN DMA. So you must be near Ashland or something if you're 85 miles away. You go that far south you're in the Mpls DMA
wisconsin.gif

And there are lots of areas that folks in state A get locals from state B.

If you still want the Bears games get a EA dish and switch you locals to Davenport, IA. They are Conus for HD and are in the Bears market.

Last edited:
The northern and western part of Wisconsin is in a MN DMA. So you must be near Ashland or something if you're 85 miles away. You go that far south you're in the Mpls DMA

And there are lots of areas that folks in state A get locals from state B.

I'm in Sawyer near the Washburn line still its 85 miles. With Dish they only offer Duluth MN but with the local cable co. you get both Duluth mn and Eau Claire WI so in essence all MN Viking games and all GB packer games on Cable, Duluth mn will only have a Packer game if it is a nationally televised game. Why does cable get away with it? And yes I am mainly PO'ed about not getting the Bears anymore. :( lol

cable has different rules than satellite when it comes to carrying locals (sadly)
But normally the NFL tries not to schedule the Vikes and Pack at the same time for that reason. Its better in Duluth than in Minneapolis. Mpls if the Vikes are on at home no other game can be shown. So if the Vikes are on CBS and Pack is on Fox at same time we only get the Vikes. Duluth gets both as they are outside of the 75 mile blackout area.

Now the next question is CSN sports net chicago planning on going spot beam only? My Chicago Blackhawks? they are still on conus now thank god even though they are not playing to well right now. But once the playoffs come I know a lot of games will be on NBC :(
Or will they stay on conus because of the NHL and MLB packages? Those are probably the feeds they use?

Last edited:
Now the next question is CSN sports net chicago planning on going spot beam only? My Chicago Blackhawks? they are still on conus now thank god even though they are not playing to well right now. But once the playoffs come I know a lot of games will be on NBC :(
Or will they stay on conus because of the NHL and MLB packages? Those are probably the feeds they use?

I don't think that CSN Chicago would go spot beam because CSN Chicago is in the sports pack.

if really like the Blackhawks there is the under ground way of getting a canada dish to get WGN Chicago / WGN 9 and you also get CBC (Better then VS / NBC)

But the majority of games are on csn chicago, about 20 games on wgn 9, and just a handful on VS, and NBC, except the playoffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)