Loud "whoop" or siren/alarm sound from my receiver.

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I have a VIP612 and tonight the screen when black and it started making a "whooping" siren/alarm sound. It was strange. The picture was black but the audio was coming through. I had to unplug it to reset it and get it to start working again. It did this a few weeks ago and thought it was a fluke, but after happening again it appears to be something the receiver was designed to do. I just don't know what it signifies. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

My two 612's have never done this. Bizarre. Both are in bedrooms, so I really hope mine don't develop any sirens or alarms in the future!

Possible that the hard drive is on its way out. Many hard drives will make beep-like noises from either an actual beeper on the logic board or sometimes the motor will make a noise if the spindle is seizing.

PM a dirt member. Sounds like you are ready for a replacement. Back up any programs you want to keep on an EHD if you have one.

The drive wasn't making the noise. It was actually coming through the audio output. I have another receiver of the same model and it had never done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't think I'm making myself clear. This is an actual siren sound. I looked around because I thought my phone or iPad was making the noise. This was an actual sound that the receiver must have been designed to make. If it happens again I'll try to record it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Only thing I could think of is that it might be a thermal alert although usually the receiver will display a thermal alert error message before shutting down. Do you have the receiver in an open space or in an enclosure? If it's enclosed how much space around both sides & the top?

If you have a receptacle tester, check the plug the reciever is plugged into.

I have experienced some recievers screaming when the plug was wired wrong. This also occured on a job where the lnb started shorting out.

Not saying that is exactly what's going on.with your box, but it's a start.

Only thing I could think of is that it might be a thermal alert although usually the receiver will display a thermal alert error message before shutting down. Do you have the receiver in an open space or in an enclosure? If it's enclosed how much space around both sides & the top?

It has tons of room and lots of air around it. Nothing is sitting on top of it. If it is overheating for some reason, it isn't because of the way I have it situated. If it does it again I'll upload a video to youtube and link. It hasn't done it since I reset the receiver last night.

It has tons of room and lots of air around it. Nothing is sitting on top of it. If it is overheating for some reason, it isn't because of the way I have it situated. If it does it again I'll upload a video to youtube and link. It hasn't done it since I reset the receiver last night.

I'd call Dish Tech Support and tell them. Maybe they'll send you a replacement. Better than waiting for it to go bad and doing without for a couple days. There shouldn't be any noises--period.

Do you have a computer connected to your TV? Or better yet..I have new sony internet TV that can connect to other devices via WiFi...maybe some smartass teenager is playing a trick on you

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Sling Adaptor covered by Protection Plan?

Hopper update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)