Lucky me... My tech's first install.

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Poor installer gets to have me as his first Hoppy/Joey install! I can be a bit harsh when I know more than the techs that are coming to install the gear ;) He arrived around 11:00am CDT, and I'm hoping to get him out by 2:00pm.

First up is replacing the old Dish 1000 with DPP44 switch with a 1000.2 to go straight to the Duo node. I was nice and disconnected the power insertor before he started any of his work :D Re-using existing lines from the roof to the HT wiring complex.

After that we'll replace the DPP44 with the Duo node and get the hoppers running in the HT room. Only after the Hoppers have TV content showing will we hook up the Joeys. At least I can learn from the experience of the other Satellite Guys early adopters.

I have to double check the wiring in the HT closet to make sure it's RG-6 and not RG-59. Easy run if it's not, as there's conduit from the wiring complex to the HT closet.

Cheers,

Same here, Installer says that they were trained but no hands on. He's got the Hopper up and Joey coming along now. It's been relatively easy, my installers got some experience though. Just longer for the Hopper to update and go through all the initial setup. This thing is FAST.

+1 here, as well. We're going on about 2 hrs. Had to do a little cable ID in the basement (it's a mess) and replace the LNB on the dish after the Hopper didn't like the signal. We're now into the setup/download wait. I'm here and the tech is reading my paper. But it seems to be working.

Software does download is taking a long time.

45 plus minutes on the software update and still not done.

Is that typical? Will it finish immediately after i hit submit?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Question: Is the Joey software download that seems to be taking so much time for everyone what's happening when the Joey comes on and says it's looking for a Hopper to connect to? Ours is hanging on that screen and the tech is getting frustrated. His office told him that could take 10-15 minutes.

Sorry, You said you know more then the techs.. I am only a dumb tech.. Can't help you...

So you don't see the smiley? Cant help you on that.

Factory reset done on one unit. Loading for about 15 minutes on that one.

The other is also still loading.

Question: Is the Joey software download that seems to be taking so much time for everyone what's happening when the Joey comes on and says it's looking for a Hopper to connect to? Ours is hanging on that screen and the tech is getting frustrated. His office told him that could take 10-15 minutes.

Having gotten there yet.

Well my for me it was the first one installed from thie particular Dish Dealer. they did an install at their office but none out in the field until today at my house.

The first thing he had to do was figure out how to get the RG-6 to my daugthe'rs room. There never was a preinstalled cable in her room. It did have a fished outside into her window a cable from the 2nd output of my 722k. He back fed from where it comes into my house down to the outlet on my front wall where the cable came in for a cable install. It then runs outside and up to her bedroom which is in the front of the house.

All is done but my Joey's aren't linked and seem not to want to link. First the tech said he made a mistake in hooking up the Joey's prior to the Hopper finishing up the update. Not it appears thatthere afre a number of installs out there where the Joey's don't link up. the reason for the the not linking is bad software. He has spoken to his office who I gather has talked to Dish about this problem. I'm to wait until the morning for a software update will occur tomorrow morning at 3am and will fix the problem. I'm to check for linking when I get up in the morning. I'm to call the installer and let him know my status. If it doesn't link i'm to let him know this and he's going to replace my two Joey's.

I will keep everyone here posted as to what the outcome of this is. I"m dissapointed that all is not operational but atleast I have tv on my main tv. Is anhyone out there having this same problem? If so kindly post and let me know what's happening. The tech while here noticed I was on Satelliguys and wanted to know if others were having the same problem.

So, ran a check switch and while it showed reception verified, it didn't show any sat locations. After check switch it had locations and took 10-15 minutes to update. Hopper 2 finished check switch and we will know soon what the scoop is on that.

Weird that a check switch seems to clear it up, but if it works, great.

Are these incremental upgrades? H1 upgraded, rebooted into a slightly different looking update screen and is downloading more software. H2 just finished firmware update as i was typing this message.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts