Major DIRECTV Rumor Alerts

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ummm thanks for the sarcasm.....There is no way in hell watching a satellite feed that is compressed that will look the same as a OTA 12 meg TV feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aint gona happen, it is freaken night and GD day!!!

Not all signals are 12 megs. They vary, very much. It's more common for a station to be running much less than 12 megs.

Not all signals are 12 megs. They vary, very much. It's more common for a station to be running much less than 12 megs.
I was originally thinking that the locals here run 6-8 mg, but I could be wrong on that and don't know where I would go to look for that information.

I was originally thinking that the locals here run 6-8 mg, but I could be wrong on that and don't know where I would go to look for that information.
Go to Rabbitears.info, find and click on the station you are interested in. Find and click on the link "Technical Data and Screencaps."

Scroll down and find the HTML Export link next to "TS Reader Data." Then scroll down to the "PID Usage Chart" at the bottom of the linked page and you can see the bar graphs and data rates of the various video programs carried by the station within the transport stream.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Go to Rabbitears.info, find and click on the station you are interested in. Find and click on the link "Technical Data and Screencaps."

Scroll down and find the HTML Export link next to "TS Reader Data." Then scroll down to the "PID Usage Chart" at the bottom of the linked page and you can see the bar graphs and data rates of the various video programs carried by the station within the transport stream.

interesting. I just did two searches, CBS uses 16megs and NBC uses 14 megs...

That's in NY of course. In cities where the stations carry multiple subchannels the data rate is much less.

And I would think that each network location could be very different.
Such as CBS in Toledo wouldn't necessarily be the same as CBS in Detroit.
correct
It all depends on how many subs are on the station and how much bandwidth the owner wants to put towards each of them

Another one is that stupid (IMO) mobile TV crap. Our local ABC (KSTP) uses 1/2 their bandwidth for that crap. Its one of the few times that cable is much better picture than OTA as cable gets a fibre feed. Heck even KSTP's 2 satellite feeds (KSAX & KRWF) use more bandwidth for ABC than KSTP (the other 2 dont have mobile). I was able to pick both up (KSAX & KSTP) and there was a big difference in picture quality on KSAX than KSTP.

correct
It all depends on how many subs are on the station and how much bandwidth the owner wants to put towards each of them

Another one is that stupid (IMO) mobile TV crap. Our local ABC (KSTP) uses 1/2 their bandwidth for that crap. Its one of the few times that cable is much better picture than OTA as cable gets a fibre feed. Heck even KSTP's 2 satellite feeds (KSAX & KRWF) use more bandwidth for ABC than KSTP (the other 2 dont have mobile). I was able to pick both up (KSAX & KSTP) and there was a big difference in picture quality on KSAX than KSTP.

All of my big 4 locals look awful OTA, except WCAX and the Canadian channels. PBS WCFE is great, too. And two of my locals have no subchannels or extra stupidness. They are awful on cable, too. And on Directv but better than cable. I am "moved" to Boston and the Boston locals are much better, comparable to the national cable channels.

A couple of weeks ago, the afternoon ESPN2 and ABC mirror games were both available to me on ABC. My OTA ABC and ESPN2 were showing the same thing. Night and day.

Any rumors what the next generation TV experience will look like to the end user? Will it more resemble the Mediaroom OS and look that is on U-Verse? Will it just continue to look and mostly function as the current DirecTV software, just maybe a few added features and hopefully speed optimizations? Or do you think were in for a completely new look and feel on our set top boxes and mobile apps? Whatever they do, I hope they fix the lag issues and make channel changes faster. More rows of the guide would be nice, maybe a full screen guide instead of the picture going up to the corner, leave it as is behind a semi-transparent (adjustable) guide overlay. Maybe modernize the fonts a bit and include a few channel logos here and there. Add some subtle UI animations to assist with the navigation and flow.

Still want all the HD channels we don't have before Hulu or anything else they ruin the receivers with. Hulu will probably cut off the end of the episodes like Pandora and songs...

Any rumors what the next generation TV experience will look like to the end user? Will it more resemble the Mediaroom OS and look that is on U-Verse? Will it just continue to look and mostly function as the current DirecTV software, just maybe a few added features and hopefully speed optimizations? Or do you think were in for a completely new look and feel on our set top boxes and mobile apps? Whatever they do, I hope they fix the lag issues and make channel changes faster. More rows of the guide would be nice, maybe a full screen guide instead of the picture going up to the corner, leave it as is behind a semi-transparent (adjustable) guide overlay. Maybe modernize the fonts a bit and include a few channel logos here and there. Add some subtle UI animations to assist with the navigation and flow.

One thing that would nice would be a PIP toggle. The current implementation is a PITA.

It will be more like the DirecTV software than Mediaroom. Part of the whole rationale behind merging U-Verse with DirecTV is that they can dump Mediaroom (which they don't own or control) for DirecTV's platform (which they do own and control in-house)

Besides... MediaRoom was sold off by Microsoft to Ericsson. Ever since that selloff MediaRoom has stagnated on the software side of things and hasn't evolved one bit. Meanwhile platforms such as Comcast X1 AND DirecTV's proprietary STB software has not just surpassed MediaRoom but has left MediaRoom eating their dust.

And let's not forget that the DirecTV Genie has a Ethernet port on the back of the device. It would just be a matter of doing some software changes to the Genie and during setup you would configure it for either satellite input or IPTV input. Either way you'd still receive a DirecTV signal input, it would just be input agnostic.

Agreed and a broadband deca could implement the suggested features the same way providing ethernet everywhere in the house that is wired for swm. Rvu is (roughly) an ethernet connection to the tv via coax (yes i know theres more to it, but stick with me for what im suggesting) it is possible that a uverse install could be done with swm wiring. Bbdeca to the input, and a directv take over would just be installing the dish and new drop line. In theiry that is. Thiswould assume the house is wired properly and not in a clusterfck

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

And asfor hulu...iwould much rather netflix, but idk if charlie is paying for an exclusive contract or not.

I didnt read through all 10 pages, so I am sorry if this was put out there, but is it just the new box that will do Rain Fade to IPTV or is it any genie box, or ??? just curious as I would have to upgrade a lot of boxes to get this feature.

I didnt read through all 10 pages, so I am sorry if this was put out there, but is it just the new box that will do Rain Fade to IPTV or is it any genie box, or ??? just curious as I would have to upgrade a lot of boxes to get this feature.
The new one as AT&T seeks a common platform to merge DIRECTV satellite technology as the prominent feature with IPTV technology of their Uverse TV over the internet as the fail-over backup in case the satellite link either goes down or is not available at all due to LOS issues or some other.

The new one as AT&T seeks a common platform to merge DIRECTV satellite technology as the prominent feature with IPTV technology of their Uverse TV over the internet as the fail-over backup in case the satellite link either goes down or is not available at all due to LOS issues or some other.

Thank you. I was holding out hope that any Dvr connected to Internet could just magically be turned into a iptv box with software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)