Making new remote work with older receiver

Phils

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 28, 2006
Paradise, CA
I got a replacement remote for my 612 but forgot how to sync it to the receiver. I did this earlier this year with a new remote for my 622 and I remember pushing system info on the receiver and something on the remote at the same time.

Can someone please remind me how?

Phil

Open the front panel hit system info
Hold sat button down till all 4 light up
Pick a number 1-9
Hit the pound button then the record button. Your number should appear then you done

Go to sys. info. screen
Letter i is rem addr

On the remote control push and hold the sat button untill all 4 buttons light up.
push the number button that corresponds to the remote address then push the # button
The sat button should flash 3 times and the remote should operate the receiver.

Just tried that with no success. Everything worked as you describe except that the remote still doesn't operate the receiver.

Phil

Head to system info screen.
Menu, 6, 1, 3.
Rather than trying a new address try programming the existing remote address into the new remote. What model remote is it? Says on the back

That didn't work either. The 612 IR addrss is set to "1" and I tried setting the remote to "1", both ways (IR and UHF, swapping the little piece at the bottom from TV1 to TV2 then back).

The remote says 21.1 IR/UHF PRO with a p/n 186371.

I had no idea this would be difficult. The one I did earlier in the year for my 622 was set to go in seconds.

Phil

21.0 won't work with a 612. Been through that before. They ship now with a 20.0. Otherwise, for uhf, you'll need a slightly older model such as a 6.4 (which they used to ship with).

Do you still have the remote you're replacing? If so, if it works even halfway, try to change the address with the OLD remote to an even number like two. This will make it band b vs band a if uhf. Now with the new remote make sure it's got the '1' tab, uhf on the rear switch and address the new remote to your new, even number. Let me know if it works.

Sometimes this trick will make a newer remote compatible with an older receiver.

Before you ask, 'why then did they send me this one' because that's the new remote they ship out. Specifically request the model you need or ebay/amazon it.

Last edited:
21.0 won't work with a 612. Been through that before. They ship now with a 20.0. Otherwise, for uhf, you'll need a slightly older model such as a 6.4 (which they used to ship with).

Do you still have the remote you're replacing? If so, if it works even halfway, try to change the address with the OLD remote to an even number like two. This will make it band b vs band a if uhf. Now with the new remote make sure it's got the '1' tab, uhf on the rear switch.

Sometimes this trick will make a newer remote compatible with an older receiver.

Before you ask, 'why then did they send me this one' because that's the new remote they ship out. Specifically request the model you need or ebay/amazon it.

Thanks, jawxx

I feel much less dumb now!

I've PM'd a DIRT member and we'll get it resolved. Fortunately, it's an RV receiver, not used regularly, AND 80% of the old remote's buttons usually work. I don't have the UHF antenna on the receiver since I'm always in sight for IR.

Phil

A 21.X will work with the 612 (I used one back when I had a 612). Have you made sure the switch next to the batteries is set to IR, or are you trying to program it as UHF?

If we send a replacement, it will be another 21.1

Of course, now I'm back to feeling stupid again.

At least I didn't have to spend an hour on the phone trying to understand British to get the problem solved!

I wish EVERY company had an Internet Response Team!!

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)