Meter Question

donboughton

Jun 9, 2010
CT
I have been out of installing dishes for about 2 years but looking to get back into installing. I have an older style Sat Buddy and was wondering how easy it is to install the 1000.4 dish with this meter. I am hoping not to upgrade my meter but if I had to the Acutrac III+ looks like the least costly of the new meters I see on the market any hep would be appreciated.

I use a sat buddy and have no problem finding the sats with it but after peaking with the sat buddy I still need to fine tune the dish with either another analog meter or by the signal meter on the receiver. My sat buddy has always been a little off.

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to a few DNS techs and they say it can only be done with a super Sat buddy or similar meter. I figured the old satbudy would work fine the other issue i keep reading about is some older meters cant power the LNB for the 1000.4

Before it breathed its last breath, my Acutrac III+ was a cheap and inexpensive way to aim both the 1000.2 and 1000.4. It also works with the non-SWM KaKu slimlines from Direct. But...and this is a crucial one...if you can afford it, the Super Sat Buddy is *THE* way to go.

Power requirements have changed dramatically. The easiest thing to do is use receiver power. For example I use the birdog usb+. When tuning a 1k4 I use receiver to power lnb then put my meter on port 2. Doing this drastically reduces the strain on meter to power the lnb & will let you tune dish without meter shutting down. For a long time I had the mentality to set & tune dish 1st, no sense in going further if you don't have signal right? I still feel that way, but have had to adjust my routine. Good luck. :up

I also use a similar procedure with directv, the swm lnb's require 21 volts. I am not aware of a meter that will put that kind of voltage out. Anyhow with direct I hook up the power inserter inside where it is going to go (no receiver just P.I.), temporarily bring swm switch to behind dish and hook up accordingly and then put meter on 1 of the non power ports to tune the swm head. Pretty cut & dry, receiver or P.I. power is key....

im sure its possible with a sat buddy, but few techs have learned the quirks, since the 1k4 came out most are using superstabuddy or birdog. remember aiming 1k2 with a satbuddy? sure its possible, but you had to learn how to do it. the aspen eagle worked best for me with that dish, you just had to recognize the signal strengths as you swept west to east, and after practice you would know which signal to peak on and get it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)