microBUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatPhreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
I tried a cband lnb on my 90 cm dish yesterday and picked up two channels on 99w . No luck on a few other satellite I scanned. This was just bolting a shortened bracket for the lnb on to the ky dish and hoping for the best. The focal point is still .75" higher than the ku lnbf was.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Attachments

• 1400964509113.jpg
    1400964509113.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 1400964532088.jpg
    1400964532088.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 195
Try one door down at 99w you will get more at least 30 channels I use a 1 meter. Remember aim the lnbf up not straight out like the ku band lnb.

If you can use a 1.2m for a mini bud as you can pick up more but that is for experimentation only for reliable receptions go at list 6 ft or bigger if you can

I just bolted it on and didn'thave a meter or tv out at the dish. Next week's try will have a rec and tv outside with me.

If you can use a 1.2m for a mini bud as you can pick up more but that is for experimentation only for reliable receptions go at list 6 ft or bigger if you can

I know bigger is better but this is trying out my lnb and conical scaler that I won from Titanium last winter on the dish I already have.

I know bigger is better but this is trying out my lnb and conical scaler that I won from Titanium last winter on the dish I already have.

Just putting my 2 cents in as I tried a mini bud with a 1.2m then I went and found a 7.5 ft laser dish and will take all summer to put up I will say you will like the c1pll and cs1 scalar ring

NHK World @ 58W is very reliable on a microBUD. A microBUD is worth it for that channel alone imo. There's always an interesting documentary or two on there every week. That's the one you wanna shoot for.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/howto/reception.html

Then again, I am a bit of a weeaboo.

NHK says you need a 2.5m minimum size dish but that just isn't true thankfully.

Xizer is correct -- but I have found that using an old DRO based LNBF was touch and go for me on NHK World. With a PLL based LNBF, I can always tune it in. Of course, you may not have that issue. Here, I almost never get anything C-band wise on my 90cm microBUD project on 97W. Satmex6 is my goldmine. Fortunately for me, I'm fluent in Spanish. ;)

I just bolted it on and didn'thave a meter or tv out at the dish. Next week's try will have a rec and tv outside with me.

Oh, and take a photo of the setup! I experimented and found I got different stations based on the position of the "lip" of the LNBF tube with the various internal rings inside the scalar. I used to line the LNBF up to the very edge of the scalar. When I changed the alignment to be even with the first internal "ring" of the scalar, I lost a few stations, but gained a lot more. Anyway, it's a fun project. Send photos. Danristheman has a permanent setup on 99W that's very cool, so he'll have some input :)

Depending on what equipment you have you can get most of 99w with 1 meter. but remember you will get interference from other sats I do lot. The rule is if you live apartment like I do go with a micro bud but if you own house go big. Thank you north Georgia. It will take time to tweak it but you will get the signal quick. Ku is more precise c band swoft is so wide you can be up to 6 degrees of and still get a signal but shoot for 99w I like cause of metv so does my mom she loves the rifleman. One more thing take a look at my setup in my dish farm thread. Have any just ask.

Dan Rose

Brian I angle my lnbf 45 degrees other than straight out like the ku band lnb normal placement

Last edited by a moderator:
The center and the angle of the C-band LNBF feedhorn should be the same as the original KU-band LNBF. The focal point is the same for either band. If the feedhorn angle is increased or decreased, the scalar will not be properly illuminating the entire reflector and the feedhorn is not centered in the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Brian I angle my lnbf 45 degrees othe than straight out like the ku band lnb normal placement

You should get better results if you put it at the same angle as the Ku-LNBF.

MiniBUD is a fun hobby for those who can't swing a full fledged 6-footer. There will be some inconsistencies and you might see something one day and missing the next, but that's the nature of FTA anyway :)

58 and 55 have some awesome international and odd channels if you can reach that far. As mentioned, NHK a good shot -- I even got a clear NHK signal on a 31" dish before!

Well I tried agaian last night and got some channels on 55.5,91.0, 93.0, 95.0 , 99.0, 111.1, and125.0.
Some pics to follow.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts