MLB 2012 Postseason

No way Tigers can trust Valverde with ninth again

Mitch Albom: Detroit Free Press

"It was a collective plea, an ensemble gasp, a worry so loud from Detroit fans you could hear it all the way here in Yankee Stadium. After a wonderful night full of great defense, timely hits and incredible escape-artist pitching by Doug Fister, the Tigers went to their closer in the bottom of the ninth, and a shiver of horror shot through Tiger Nation."

Full Story

It's too bad because he has been the Yankees heart and soul for so many years. I wish him the best, but it's going to be hard to come back after such an injury given his age.

So True and Jeter is what a true Yankee means and never did steroids like Alex Rodriguez and Yankees need to cut or get rid of Rodriguez he is washed up and fails in playoff and clutch time :)

Yanks’ ball and chain
Broken-down A-Rod will cost NY for years

By John Tomase
Sunday, October 14, 2012

NEW YORK — Here’s an amazing thought: If the Yankees were to offer Alex Rodriguez to every team in baseball for nothing, there’d be no takers. If they were to throw in half — as in $57 million — of the $114 million remaining on the contract of the greatest player of this generation, there’d be no takers.

If they agreed to include their best prospect(s) to facilitate the deal, there’d be no takers.

A-Rod has become the albatross to end all albatrosses, and barring the arrival of an Ancient Mariner with a bow, the Yankees are stuck with him....

Rodriguez’ career has followed a downward trajectory since 2007, when he won his third and presumably final MVP award after blasting 54 homers for the Yankees. He then opted out of his landmark 10-year, $252 million deal (it’s all about timing), and signed his current 10-year, $275 million behemoth through 2017.

But his numbers began decreasing immediately thereafter, with his OPS dipping from a still-superstar .965 in 2008 to .933 to .847 to .823 to this year’s pedestrian .783. That ranked 68th in baseball and earned Rodriguez $29 million.

What’s terrifying if you’re the Yankees is that at age 37, once the decline begins, it generally doesn’t reverse field. Rodriguez is actually four months older than Sox DH David Ortiz [stats], who only wants a two-year deal before presumably retiring, and who, by the way, remains absurdly productive when healthy. The same cannot be said of A-Rod, who averaged 41 homers a year from 1996-2010, but has totaled just 34 over the last two seasons.

Full article: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ain_broken-down_a-rod_will_cost_ny_for_years/

This is the downfall of these Mammoth contracts (years wise).

Mitch Albom: Detroit Free Press

"It was a collective plea, an ensemble gasp, a worry so loud from Detroit fans you could hear it all the way here in Yankee Stadium. After a wonderful night full of great defense, timely hits and incredible escape-artist pitching by Doug Fister, the Tigers went to their closer in the bottom of the ninth, and a shiver of horror shot through Tiger Nation."

Full Story
Good article by Mitch Albom as usual !

So True and Jeter is what a true Yankee means and never did steroids like Alex Rodriguez and Yankees need to cut or get rid of Rodriguez he is washed up and fails in playoff and clutch time :)

We know this HOW ?

Some were wondering out loud if Miguel Cabrera was using steroids last week when he won the Triple Crown, why would Jeter be any different ?

While I doubt that Jeter has used them, you can never know about anybody for sure.

Fwiw, when I am injured, which happens from time to time, Rotator Cuff surgery, bad knees for years, guess what, I get often for help getting better ?

Thats right Steroids.

Last edited:
Q. While watching last nights Tigers/yanks game I did not know that TBS had hired the yankees announcers to call the series .

Is that allowed ?

There were a couple of "homer" moments, but nothing like when Cal Ripken was in the booth for the Yankee/Baltimore series! BTW, none of the announcers is a former Yankee.

The New York Yankees still had tickets available and several thousand more were for sale on the secondary market Sunday morning for Game 2 of the ALCS later in the day.

It was a development the team said doesn't accurately reflect the market, while one ticket broker attributed it to high prices and the postseason's revamped schedule.

Yankee fans woke Sunday to emails telling them the team was still selling tickets to the game.

Fingers pointed as tickets still unsold

This is the downfall of these Mammoth contracts (years wise).

Least we forget about our own potential A-Rod (i.e., Prince Fielder). Perhaps the gamble pays off, but history has shown at some point during these long-term mega-monster contracts they have a negative impact on an organization. Hopefully we feast now because (given injury or declining skills) you never know what tomorrow will bring. I hope we see the end of these 100M-200M dollar contracts.

Last edited:
The New York Yankees still had tickets available and several thousand more were for sale on the secondary market Sunday morning for Game 2 of the ALCS later in the day.

It was a development the team said doesn't accurately reflect the market, while one ticket broker attributed it to high prices and the postseason's revamped schedule.

Yankee fans woke Sunday to emails telling them the team was still selling tickets to the game.

Fingers pointed as tickets still unsold

Beside the Yankees selling tickets at a premium to pay for their huge payroll, some of the blame rests with the league condoning ticket-jackers on StubHub, Craigslist, etc. I deplore the practice of anyone selling/buying tickets for more than face value. I hope the league ceases their relationship with StubHub and revokes season ticket status for anyone caught ticket-jacking.

Just my two cents...

Game time. Lets go Tigers! Hopefully Sanchez can go deep into the game so we don't need as much from the bull pen.

Poor at bat by Cabrera. He took an 84 MPH change up right down the middle and then swung at back to back fast balls almost a foot off the plate inside.

riffjim4069 said:
I wasn't expecting a pitching duel this afternoon; 0-0 going into the sixth inning.

This sure is a pitchers duel. Sanchez just did a good job getting out of that jam. Time to score some runs guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)