MLB network

wingnut10

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Grand Rapids MI
Any news as to wether or not we can expect this channel by opening day? I remember reading somewhere that MLB was looking to add dish as one of their carriers for the network.

wingnut10 said:
Any news as to wether or not we can expect this channel by opening day? I remember reading somewhere that MLB was looking to add dish as one of their carriers for the network.

Never and never or if Charlie should change his ways which is never more. No happy ending to this fairy tale no MLB.

That thing about MLB wanting dish came out of an MLB stockholders meeting, and seemed like the sort of "good news" thing you make up to appease stockholders long enough to get out of the building alive:

"We hope to add 11 million more subscribers this year!!!! (is the limo running? let's get outa here)"

I wonder if their stock price went up when that story broke because there hasn't been a peep about it since then.

An MLB shareholder's meeting?

Sorry, I went back to the blurbs that came out in December. A few said it was mentioned at "an investor's conference" for the MLB Network. Another article, from Reuters said it was a "global media summit." I have no idea what that is, but sounds like a place to drum up investment. Either way it sounded like empty noise at the time.

Sweet deal could be coming Charlie's way here folks. MLB wants tv's, Charlie wants low cost. I see MLB network coming soon but no MLB package.

Sweet deal could be coming Charlie's way here folks. MLB wants tv's, Charlie wants low cost. I see MLB network coming soon but no MLB package.

I would imagine if you're well capitalized and trying to get a newish television network in the maximum number of viewer homes possible, you'd be willing to almost give your channel away initially, with the idea that by the time the contract expires, you can ask for big rate increases as the channel will have gone to something people have vaguely heard of and have a little interest in to a channel that people have made a regular part of their viewing habits and consider a "must have".

The thing about an MLB Network, though, I'd imagine, that hurts it relative to the NFL Network or whatever, is that there are so many baseball games. In most markets, you've already got all 162 games of your local team, plus maybe another 162 games from another local team, plus ESPN and FOX national games, etc.. Under those circumstances, there are probably fewer fans crying out for more baseball, whereas because football fans only have 16 games each once a week to watch from their favorite team, they might be more willing watch a random national game on Mondays and/or Thursday, plus be looking for NFL-related programming throughout the week.

I'm a baseball fan, but my interest in the MLB Network isn't huge. It strikes me as a thing that would be nice to have "thrown in" to a package, but it isn't the sort of thing that would keep me in a higher package because of it's presence there or whatever. I can understand hardball (No pun intended ;) ) negotiating tactics over a channel like that much more readily than when they play hardball with the local RSNs or whatever, which are really "must haves" for a huge quantity of people.

Does anyone know how much live baseball airs on the MLB network? One nice thing for us east coasters might be if they'd put on a lot of west coast games, because of the time zone difference. That way if we were to finish watching out local team's games from 7pm-10pm ish, or just had a jonsing for late night baseball, we could watch a national game from 10pm-1am ish.

Last edited:
Last nite I was chatting with tech support and when we finished with my HD problem I asked the question are we going to be able to purchase the MLB Extra Innings package this year and the answer was yes and when dish got more info it would be on their website. I'll believe it when I see it thou. I also requested MLB Network we need more people to call and request these stations.

Does anyone know how much live baseball airs on the MLB network?
lots but it depends on the time of year

Thursday's and Saturday's for sure and lots of afternoon matinee's. As the season goes on and the races heat up they will show games almost every night except Sunday. Note that if your local team is on there it will be blacked out unless the game isnt being shown on your local RSN.

as for spring training, they have 83 games scheduled to be televised
Live Games on MLB Network | MLB Network: TV Schedule

I, too, am very excited that Dish Network is even being discussed in the same sentences as MLB Network. I have been following the conversations and rumors on this website along with others and have increasingly heard rumors about Dish Network adding the MLB Network and possibly MLB Extra Innings. I decided to chat with a Dish Network representative via their website. Here is the exact exchange between myself and the Dish rep. It doesn't really shed any light on the situation, very vague with responses as we would all expect.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me a moment to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
RamMohan (ID: 78T): Hi Jared.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): How can I help you today?

Jared Owen: Will Dish Network customers be able to purchase MLB Extra Innings this year?

RamMohan (ID: 78T): Let me check.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): I am sorry No.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): Officially we don't have any update on that.

Jared Owen: does that mean that it may happen??

RamMohan (ID: 78T): Yes.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): I am not sure. When it will be happen.

Jared Owen: Excellent....as a follow-up, I am hearing a bunch of rumors about Dish adding the MLB Network prior to upcoming MLB season, is this correct?

Jared Owen: I really hope so

RamMohan (ID: 78T): One moment please.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): We don't have update on this.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): I am sorry.

Jared Owen: Okay......again, does this mean that it is in the works or may happen?

RamMohan (ID: 78T): It may happen.

Jared Owen: one last question, do we know of a timeline. The only reason that I am asking is because DirecTV is offering very good packages that include all of these channels right now, I am trying to weigh my options

RamMohan (ID: 78T): Okay.

Jared Owen: is there a timeline?

Jared Owen: for adding any of the MLB channels?

RamMohan (ID: 78T): As if now we don't have update. If you we have any update we will post that into Dishnetwor.com.

RamMohan (ID: 78T): Please check in couple of months.

Jared Owen: ok....thanks

I wouldn't get to excited as you might find yourself really disappointed come baseball season.

I have not heard anything (not a peep) about even coming close to a deal for mlb.

JosephB said:
A CSR is going to find out either at the same time as the general public or not much more than a few hours before.

Normally they find out the day after the general public does.

They are not going to to tell you bad news on the phone or online chat as they want you to be happy... And who knows they might strike a deal before the season starts so why say no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)