More 722 Ethernet Questions

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
Hey guys I have a few questions about connnecting a 722 via ethernet, its been awhile since I've been into networking so I dont remember alot. Here goes,

Brother in law got a 722 in downstairs media room, also has xbox 360 that we want to connect via broadband. Ok linksys wireless router is upstairs with PC, can't fish ethernet cable to media room.

Ok normally we could just use a gaming adapter for the 722 but we have 2 devices we want to connect, maybe more down the road. What is the best way and cheapest to achieve this? I know there is the xbox 360 wireless adaptor but that is overpriced.

How can I hook multiple devices together using the existing wireless network? Wireless Bridge with more than 1 port? Was looking at the Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Bridges/WET200. Anyone recommend a better way to do this ? Thanks a ton!

Hey guys I have a few questions about connnecting a 722 via ethernet, its been awhile since I've been into networking so I dont remember alot. Here goes,

Brother in law got a 722 in downstairs media room, also has xbox 360 that we want to connect via broadband. Ok linksys wireless router is upstairs with PC, can't fish ethernet cable to media room.

Ok normally we could just use a gaming adapter for the 722 but we have 2 devices we want to connect, maybe more down the road. What is the best way and cheapest to achieve this? I know there is the xbox 360 wireless adaptor but that is overpriced.

How can I hook multiple devices together using the existing wireless network? Wireless Bridge with more than 1 port? Was looking at the Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Bridges/WET200. Anyone recommend a better way to do this ? Thanks a ton!

I Use an SMC2870w attached to a switch to connect all the network devices in our family room. I highly recommend it and you should be able to pick one up for about $40. Check out this review from buy.com (Buy.com - SMC EZ Connect G 2.4GHZ.54MBPS Wireless Ethernet Bridge - SMC2870W).

Don't forget the option to use the built in HomePlug chip that is in the 722. That would let you access the High speed internet without running any new cables or saturating your 802.11 spectrum.

The problem with Home Plug is that it does not seem to like a UPS. I would never run my 622 without one. It takes forever to reboot after a power failure.

Geronimo,

I could never get my 2 622s to connect with the discom unless I bypassed the surge protectors, but when I plugged in my home plug into the wall, my (now 1 622) connected w/out a problem and it is through the surge protector. I'm not sure if the reason is because the home plug adapter and 622 are on the same leg (and when I had 2 622s they were on different legs) or if the home plug connection is more tolerant than dishcomm?

Just food for thought.

WiCkeDuDe - You may want to review the following post on Home plug http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne.../103982-homeplug-built-into-622-how-cool.html.

Also on page 7, Cyclone mentions Home plug acceptable power strips. TI Network Technologies

Maybe there is a UPS out there that is compatible with Homeplug.

Ray

Im not a fan of homeplug. I want to be able to connect at least 2 devices for the time being with the capability for more down the road. The wireless bridges above should do that fine. One more question... would a wireless access point work here? What is the difference between that and a wireless bridge. Cant think right now....

If the UPS is vital, then just use a 2nd Powerline modem at the receiver end and skip using the built in HomePlug chip. That way the receiver gets uninterrupted power, and the you still don't have to use 802.11 or run a new Cat5 line. Plus you can secure it this way.

Like This:

622_HomePlug4.gif

TII network technologies, inc. has been mentioned several times. They offer a satellite home networking protector, HNP6-X-T-S and a HomePlug ethernet bridge, HNX-ET. This appears to be and ideal combo for connecting a 622 or 722 to a home network. The problem is they do not sell retail. Does anyone know where to purchase TII products?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)