"Moving" from MD to NYC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

par212

Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
MD
I have been looking and trying to figure out if its possible to pick up HD NYC locals in he 21673 zip code of MD. One of the maps I found shows the spot beam of the NYC locals I am just outside the blue line. First is the white line that extends to south Jersey then the second line is blue which reaches almost to southern Delaware. I am just west of that outside the blue line between the o in Washington and e in Chesapeake. I am wondering if I move to the NYC DMA if I would be able to receive the locals in this location? Or is there a better way to figure this out?

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 9.03.56 PM.png

I have been looking and trying to figure out if its possible to pick up HD NYC locals in he 21673 zip code of MD. One of the maps I found shows the spot beam of the NYC locals I am just outside the blue line. First is the white line that extends to south Jersey then the second line is blue which reaches almost to southern Delaware. I am just west of that outside the blue line between the o in Washington and e in Chesapeake. I am wondering if I move to the NYC DMA if I would be able to receive the locals in this location? Or is there a better way to figure this out?

View attachment 95942

The MAJOR NY Locals are on Conus, so they are available everywhere, same as LA.
Getting authorization is the issue.

The Non Major locals would be the ones in question due to the spot beams.

So if you subscribe to the NYC Local channels you get pick up the CONUS channels there aren't separate local channels and "national" channels available for RV's and such?

So if you subscribe to the NYC Local channels you get pick up the CONUS channels there aren't separate local channels and "national" channels available for RV's and such?

RV's should (most don't) get a separate account for the RV that allows you these channels wherever you go (that said, if your in say Florida, why would you want NY channels, wouldn't you want Florida channels ?).

Like I said, the Major 4 channels are available thruout the US if your approved to get them.

:welcome to Satelliteguys par212!

The NYC locals that aren't on CONUS beams are on 99s transponders 16 and 20, also on 103s transponder 17. Check your signal strength on those transponders. If your signal strengths are at least in the 70s, you are probably good to go. Anything lower than that and you will likely have issues on rainy days.

i am currently a Dish customer so I don't have Direct TV so check the signal strength but I do have family with Direct TV that might be be able to check for me. I have had ADD with NYC locals for years and now thats gone so I am without them. I travel back and forth a lot and like to have the local news as an option.

i am currently a Dish customer so I don't have Direct TV so check the signal strength but I do have family with Direct TV that might be be able to check for me. I have had ADD with NYC locals for years and now thats gone so I am without them. I travel back and forth a lot and like to have the local news as an option.

As long as your family is in the same area as you, that would work.

I haven't used Direct TV but just watched a video on how to check the signal. Just to make sure, I would have them go into system setup, then satellite, then signal strength. Have them choose satellite 99 and look at the strength for 16 and 20 and then choose satellite 103 and look at the strength for 17? That sounds simple enough I think I could walk them through it without going over.

I haven't used Direct TV but just watched a video on how to check the signal. Just to make sure, I would have them go into system setup, then satellite, then signal strength. Have them choose satellite 99 and look at the strength for 16 and 20 and then choose satellite 103 and look at the strength for 17? That sounds simple enough I think I could walk them through it without going over.

Those are for the ones that are NOT Conus.

correct. Just wanting to see if i would pick up those additional channels as well. :) i have the superstation package with dish which includes WOR and WPIX so it would be nice to retain them. :)

correct. Just wanting to see if i would pick up those additional channels as well. :) i have the superstation package with dish which includes WOR and WPIX so it would be nice to retain them. :)

Gotcha, as long as your in the NY spotbeam then yes you should as long as your numbers are up high enough ... as Chip mentioned, over 70 should be fine, higher the better.

Make sure you are checking 99s and 103s, not 99c or 103ca/cb.

Thanks. That was my next question. They sent me some pictures and some had the s, c, etc. They did send one for 99s but I don't see one for 103s (I will have to ask for one) but here is the one for 99s which shows N/A or -- for all but 1. I am assuming that means I won't pick them up?

2014-03-08 06.14.07.jpg

Thanks. That was my next question. They sent me some pictures and some had the s, c, etc. They did send one for 99s but I don't see one for 103s (I will have to ask for one) but here is the one for 99s which shows N/A or -- for all but 1. I am assuming that means I won't pick them up?

View attachment 95946

Actually, 2 things might be happening here..

1) they need thier dish re pointed, fine tuned, as they should have something on the 99s ... unless and this may be what happened, is the (s) Sats take longer to pop in to give you numbers, for example, I am checking mine now and it takes about a minute or two for the numbers to populate.
They probably just looked at it quickly without waiting (didn't know to wait, ya know), I would have them check it again for you.

Or the 2nd thing may be that your locals are on the 103s instead, that said, you should still have something in the designated fields, weather its a 0, or a N/A or a 98 for example.

When looking at the populated screen, it is common to find only 1 or 2 transponders really high, that would be the ones feeding your area, while the lower numbers feed other areas.

thanks. I will have them try again and wait longer. I think they have had Direct TV less than a year so it hasn't been sitting for years or anything.

Are you saying all the -- should go away and at least show a 0?

thanks. I will have them try again and wait longer. I think they have had Direct TV less than a year so it hasn't been sitting for years or anything.

Are you saying all the -- should go away and at least show a 0?

Yes, or a NA, or a number.

so if you have authorization to the new york locals by having your service address in new york then you can pick new york locals nationwide?
would they be at channels 390-399?

so if you have authorization to the new york locals by having your service address in new york then you can pick new york locals nationwide?

Yes, but only the Major ones.
The other ones are still on a Spot beam.

would they be at channels 390-399?
Yes, the Major ones would be, they may also be remapped to thier numerical location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)