MPEG4/HD FTA receiver recommendation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

be236

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
Hello,

I currently have MPEG2 FTA box and looking to get a new MPEG4/HD FTA box so I can get those CTV channels on 107.3W on C-band.

Would like to keep it under $100. PVR and other advanced features would be great, if possible...

I'll look thru the Review forum when I get a chance, but in the meantime, if someone has a recommendation, that'd be great...

Seems Amazon dont have the selection of FTA boxes as it did in the past a few years back, and E-bay looks like they now have more variety/selection. Not sure what other sites I should check out...

What is your setup please tell us more about it?

Not sure what you're asking here.. I have a working 10 feet C-band dish, that I would hook up to this MPEG4 receiver that I'm looking to buy.

DVB-S2 HD Receivers: Amiko HDSE is what I run at this time, but don't think there's any 'new' available. Geosatpro 3500 HDX which seems to be having some 'teething pains' at present. (firmware updates ongoing) Manhattan 1997, Linkbox 8000? or is the 9000 the "ONE" today , IDK.
Search this forum and/or Google those models for reviews and help threads.

Reactions: danristheman
I'll look thru the Review forum when I get a chance, but in the meantime, if someone has a recommendation, that'd be great....
Unfortunately last year they discontinued the receivers many of us like, and didn't offer suitable replacement models. You might be able to find a used Amiko Mini HD SE somewhere. I would not recommend the Geosatpro 3500 as its overpriced, underpowered, and buggy.

Reactions: KE4EST and fred555
My bullet today is a GEOSATpro HDVR1200; and they have been made for a few years now. It runs the motors I use; and was as with most; their first foray into h.264 or mpeg-4?. But as with all of the pasts; I have found a few differences between the 1200 and the 3500; mainly the question as to which has more channels; or abilities; comparible. Maybe what I am seeing is how fast the processors are; but also when a pure form of h.264 is carried with the word mpeg-4; but the best channels (the ones I watch like CTV; do change and mold themselves with their now "higher" defined positions; like info that does not show on the screen after scanning; that is what i want them all to show.
h.265? hdmi 2.0 -> the HDVR3500 does have the most capability; it even scans UHD; albeit it cannot show the pictures; and also scans 3D but won't show them either; so to the also update via network wire or wireless wifi; plus add-on's way over the rest (and satellite update), the rest do the same things but do not have g19 update. The chipset is reality; and today, it streams internet; or streams to your device; also; plus can go to a pure "network ID" type where many variables can be addressed.

Hello,

I currently have MPEG2 FTA box and looking to get a new MPEG4/HD FTA box so I can get those CTV channels on 107.3W on C-band.

Would like to keep it under $100. PVR and other advanced features would be great, if possible...

I'll look thru the Review forum when I get a chance, but in the meantime, if someone has a recommendation, that'd be great...

Seems Amazon dont have the selection of FTA boxes as it did in the past a few years back, and E-bay looks like they now have more variety/selection. Not sure what other sites I should check out...
The Geosat Pro MicroHD will work great for you..if you can find one...CTV on 107.3 works awesome,or for that fact any other channels..

My biggest complaint on the Micro HD is the lack of time keeping. With the clock drifting so fast and no sync function, time based timers are tough to manage. As a receiver it functions well with dual tuner capability.

I sold mine and went to an Amiko A3. Works great as long as the software doesn't corrupt. If it corrupts, usually wiping the user data and cache then restore from a good backup puts me on good legs for some weeks.

I wish I had an Amiko HD SE, they get good reviews.

Sent from a phone, probably while I'm driving over the speed limit through a school zone with construction workers present.

My biggest complaint on the Micro HD is the lack of time keeping. With the clock drifting so fast and no sync function, time based timers are tough to manage. As a receiver it functions well with dual tuner capability.

I sold mine and went to an Amiko A3. Works great as long as the software doesn't corrupt. If it corrupts, usually wiping the user data and cache then restore from a good backup puts me on good legs for some weeks.

I wish I had an Amiko HD SE, they get good reviews.

Sent from a phone, probably while I'm driving over the speed limit through a school zone with construction workers present.
Only time I had issues with the time is when I would scan for tp's on different Sats in a row..it then would loose a bit of time(30 or 40 secs) no a big issue with me anyway..can you remember what F/W you were using at the time??

The MicroHD times drifts no matter what firmware is on it. (That is with setting the time manually) The work around is to just start the recordings early and end late. Then about once every 2 weeks reset the clock. Some dealers still have stock, but they are getting hard to find. The other issue is that if you want to copy the recordings to a pc, the files are split up into set size chunks, with the second chunk containing x amount of bytes from the end of the first chunk. The same with each new chunk. TS-Doctor will put the files back together properly, but if you just binary add them together, you get a blip in the video when you play them back. I use the timer record function daily with great success. Like the feature of tricking it to overlap recordings.

Only time I had issues with the time is when I would scan for tp's on different Sats in a row..it then would loose a bit of time(30 or 40 secs) no a big issue with me anyway..can you remember what F/W you were using at the time??

No idea which firmware I was on then. Seems there was a setting for getting a time stamp from transponders, which only a very few transponders (125W ku?) were giving accurate time info. I recall several minutes per day which added up to unacceptable time change over a few days. It performed very good, just the time management ruined any timer DVR reliability. Clock time would seem to be an easy feature to have, but it missed the mark.

FTA is certainly an active hobby. The equipment always needs some babysitting. The pay services get a lot of money, but they don't need any tweaks on a periodic basis.

My Amiko Mini HD (not the SE) was the absolute worst for losing time accuracy.

I would also look at ricks for receiver sales. My dealings with him have always been above board. He offers several STBs that should be good performers. http://www.gofastmotorsports.com/rickssatellitehome.htm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)