My 211 DVR function is activated

No, you need to subscribe.
KAB's correct: I have the DVR Advantage package which includes one DVR Fee (my 622), Local TV stations, and Americas Top 200. I have the HD Silver + Platinum on top of that for the HD channels, plus the PennyMAX special. I figured if I needed my Locals to get DISH Network to put them in my Electronic Program Guide, the difference in the AT200 and DVR Advantage was the way to go.

My EHD setup is a little odd, BTW. I have the 250 GB Seagate SATA II drive I pulled out of my Mac Pro when I upgraded to a Western Digital "Green" 1 TB drive and it's been sitting in the WD box ever since. I used the Newer Technology Universal USB 2.0 adapter to connect it to my ViP 211 to test the DVR feature. So, I expected some issues, but it has been a rather reliable configuration (short of not seeingthe EHD Thursday morning).

I'm thinking of taking the 500 GB LaCie drive I used on my 622 (I know I'll lose all the 622 programs, but I'll transfer them to a different device beforehand) since the case is silver-ish and it was very quiet when it was connected to the 622. Since our 211 is in the bedroom, silent running is a big plus. I believe the LaCie is running a Samsung 500 GB drive, which has been reported to be quieter than the Seagate or WD drives on average. I'll report on how that works out.

I have a 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent on my 622 now and it works great and all (after I killed the "Sleep" feature) but that yellow "blink" bar when the drive is accessed is a bit too much for a bedroom environment. The LaCie has a single orange pinpoint LED to show activity.

I'm thinking of taking the 500 GB LaCie drive I used on my 622 (I know I'll lose all the 622 programs, but I'll transfer them to a different device beforehand) since the case is silver-ish and it was very quiet when it was connected to the 622.
Using Linux (or Mac terminal) do copy all subfolders from DishArc to any place, later move them to new 622 EHD.

KAB's correct: I have the DVR Advantage package which includes one DVR Fee (my 622), Local TV stations, and Americas Top 200. I have the HD Silver + Platinum on top of that for the HD channels, plus the PennyMAX special. I figured if I needed my Locals to get DISH Network to put them in my Electronic Program Guide, the difference in the AT200 and DVR Advantage was the way to go.

My EHD setup is a little odd, BTW. I have the 250 GB Seagate SATA II drive I pulled out of my Mac Pro when I upgraded to a Western Digital "Green" 1 TB drive and it's been sitting in the WD box ever since. I used the Newer Technology Universal USB 2.0 adapter to connect it to my ViP 211 to test the DVR feature. So, I expected some issues, but it has been a rather reliable configuration (short of not seeingthe EHD Thursday morning).

I'm thinking of taking the 500 GB LaCie drive I used on my 622 (I know I'll lose all the 622 programs, but I'll transfer them to a different device beforehand) since the case is silver-ish and it was very quiet when it was connected to the 622. Since our 211 is in the bedroom, silent running is a big plus. I believe the LaCie is running a Samsung 500 GB drive, which has been reported to be quieter than the Seagate or WD drives on average. I'll report on how that works out.

I have a 500 GB Seagate FreeAgent on my 622 now and it works great and all (after I killed the "Sleep" feature) but that yellow "blink" bar when the drive is accessed is a bit too much for a bedroom environment. The LaCie has a single orange pinpoint LED to show activity.

Using the same management software you used to turn off the sleep feature on your Seagate FA you can also turn off the blinking light.

I know this may be a N00B question but I have the VIP211 added a 750GB EHD everythings working great but is it possible to hook up the EHD to my PC and transfer the shows I recorded onto the PC so I can edit them or burn them to a DVD or AVCHD disc?

Just placed my order for the Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDH1U5000N. :) From what I have read this EHD seems very reliable. Is anyone using this model now and having sleep mode issues ?

I purchased a Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essential, WDH-1U500N and have it connected to a 211K.

Please see this post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1598063-post89.html

It does not have a sleep mode. It will shut off if it is connected to a computer and the computer is shut off but it does not turn off when the 211k is turned off.

I also have a WD 7500C032-002. It has been connected to a 722. I leased the 722 when they first came out and it has been connected to it since. But I can shut it down my disconnecting the USB cable (see post).

I'm sure this has been answered, but is the activation per drive? As in if I activate it now on my 211k and decide to put a larger hard drive in 3 weeks from now, do I have to "re-pay" the $39 fee?

VIP211 Remote - does it have DVR buttons

Does the VIP211 remote come with the DVR buttons (DVR, FF, Rewind, Pause, etc)? I did not think it did, but that has not been mentioned by anyone.

I'm sure this has been answered, but is the activation per drive? As in if I activate it now on my 211k and decide to put a larger hard drive in 3 weeks from now, do I have to "re-pay" the $39 fee?

Answer is directly above your post.

One $39.99 fee covers all 211/211ks on your account and any drive you may hook up to them.

Using Linux (or Mac terminal) do copy all subfolders from DishArc to any place, later move them to new 622 EHD.
Cool! I gather I should let the 622 prep the target drive before I attempt to copy anything to it, correct? I just ordered a 1 TB LaCie USB 2.0 external HD through the SatGuys Amazon storefront for $120 delivered, so when that gets here, I'll give it a go.

My hodge-podge USB External was MIA again this morning. I tried unplugging the USB drive this time, but it still requires a reboot, so I guess I'll go with the front-panel reset when this happens in the future.

The 722 and the 211 remotes are exactly the same. It is obvious that Dish planned this external hard drive from the beginning. I always wondered why the 211 came with a dvr remote?

It's been 3 days now I have recorded several shows, so far so good, I am using a Seagate Free agent 500Gb drive, Let's see how long the drive last, it never powers off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)