My Bluetooth experience

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I hadn't paid much attention to the Hopper bluetooth feature until I happened to turn on the TV and the Dish tutorial on the feature was on. I do have fairly significant hearing loss and the idea of having the sound signal directly into my ears was appealing especially since the rest of the family dislikes CC being on. I ordered a pair of over the ear Sony headphones of fairly decent quality (around the $100 range) and when they arrived and got charged up I paired them to the Hopper via the extremely easy pairing setup.
Initially I was very very pleased, the sound was crisp and clear and I could actually hear most of the dialog and the entire sound experience was greatly enhanced. During the initial tryout I made one significant error as I had the tv sound turned way down and even muted part of the time. Later the same day after the family came home and we started watching a program I discovered a flaw that resulted in my returning the headphones for credit. When the tv volume was at medium and I was using the headphones I could hear the sound from the tv set and the barest split second later through the headphones. This resulted in an almost echo like sound which was not pleasant and certainly not functional for listening through the headphones while having the tv at normal volume for the rest of the family. At this point I have concluded that the bluetooth feature is unusable unless I used the headphones while no one else is watching or everyone was listening through their own headphones. This may of course may be a problem only with the model headphones I was using but at this point I'm not inclined to go out and purchase different brands or model of headphones to try.

Charlie

Thank you. This is good to know.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have had the same exact experience with two different headsets. One in the ear, ear buds. And one on the ear headphones. On two different Hopper 2K's. They are still useful as to not bother someone with my TV viewing and my hearing loss.

You may need to set the TV volume as low as others can tolerate and raise it for your phones.
Fine tuning needed here. Still you will better understand the bluetooth than without.
With some hearing loss the 2 sound sources will still be hard follow especially conversations.
-Ken

PS: Choose a BT set with better sealing on the ears. May help but isolates you from conversation more.
-K

Last edited:
I have Widex hearing aids with a M-Dex remote for my hearing aids. The M-Dex picks up the bluetooth and puts in in my hearing aids. It works great and I don't have a problem with the volume being up. Since the kids and grandkids moved out I leave the volume off. Thankfull for this because before I got this I was wired to the tv with headset and volume did come through.

When the tv volume was at medium and I was using the headphones I could hear the sound from the tv set and the barest split second later through the headphones. This resulted in an almost echo like sound . . .
Charlie
Are you sure it wasn't the other way around? It's very common for the tv sound to be delayed from the original source due to the time required for video signal processing (input lag). You would hear the same effect if you ran a set of headphones off the red/white audio output on the back of the Hopper and had the tv speaker turned up. Or, as another test, if you have a amp. and sound system, run a optical cable from the Hopper to an input on the amp. and have both the amp. and tv turned up. You will hear an echo.

I hadn't paid much attention to the Hopper bluetooth feature until I happened to turn on the TV and the Dish tutorial on the feature was on.
This may of course may be a problem only with the model headphones I was using but at this point I'm not inclined to go out and purchase different brands or model of headphones to try.Charlie
I've seen 'noise cancelling' headphones which would likely work for you but they are quite expensive. I would only buy a set if I had assurance that I could return them if they weren't satisfactory.

I have telecoil hearing aids and a telecoil loop circleling the listening area but they only work if I do not have the TV speakers on. Same problem of echo effect.

I found the hearing aids didn't work either. This is what ended up with.

Sennheiser RS120 On-Ear 926MHz Wireless RF Headphones. They run around $100.
They plug into the audio out on the tv.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)