My cat lays on top of my Dish receiver

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
With this colder weather, my cat has started laying on top of my Dish DVR receiver (522) because the top of the metal cabinet gets quite warm.

Is this bad for the receiver? Can it cause it to overheat? And what effect would it have on the cat if it continues to lay on the receiver top like that?

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your responses.

Yes, bad for the receiver. I had one of my cats try to lay on top of my Onkyo 805 receiver, which puts out some heat.

Effect on the cat? It'd get warm, like it, and keep coming back for more. :p

I stopped the practice by putting some wide loops of blue tape, sticky side out, over a few spots on top. Cats hate the stickiness and avoid it. Yes, it's ugly, but after a few weeks you can remove the tape. Might have to repeat the process every once in a while. Same technique is used to keep cats off kitchen counters.

If the 522 is like my 625, there is a fan under the hard drive that comes on when it gets too hot. Ventilation is provided by side vents. I should think that a cat sitting on top, but blocking no ventilation holes, would not significantly increase the temp of internal components.

I suppose I could put double-sided Scotch Tape on the receiver top, but the cat is liable to try to pull the tape off with its teeth.

If this were to continue long enough, cat hair would build up on the components inside and cause additional problems besides the overheating. Better to stop him doing it sooner rather than later.

I stopped the practice by putting some wide loops of blue tape, sticky side out, over a few spots on top. Cats hate the stickiness and avoid it. Yes, it's ugly, but after a few weeks you can remove the tape. Might have to repeat the process every once in a while. Same technique is used to keep cats off kitchen counters.

That is a good tip. I am going to try to stop my cats from getting on a table and eating.

Thanks!

Turn up the heat in your house you cheap bastard! ;)

Seriously I would also say it's not a good idea. Put up a barrier to keep the cat off of it.

Get a spray bottle and everytime the cat is sleepnig on the receiver, spray him with water.

It will take care of the the cat and the receiver....

Then order a VIP922.

...unless you have a Bengal - they like water. Ours will curl up in the sink and if you turn on the water they will drink it but otherwise will just lay in it. Spray bottles amuse it. Their (1/8) wildcat ancestors fished, so they like water.

One of our cats sleeps on the 625 and we just let it. Funny they won't go near the 622. Perhaps too noisy or too warm.

With this colder weather, my cat has started laying on top of my Dish DVR receiver (522) because the top of the metal cabinet gets quite warm.

Is this bad for the receiver? Can it cause it to overheat? And what effect would it have on the cat if it continues to lay on the receiver top like that?

Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your responses.

When I had cable my cats loved the cable box with the open ventilation grid on the top. I let them sleep on it, but did notice when I turned the box in that there was quite a bit of cat hair in there. :)

I'd say if the Dish receiver doesn't have a ventilation grid on top, then it's fine...

When I was a teenager we had a cat that would wait until everyone left the kitchen. It would then jump up onto the counter, then the onto cookie jar, so he could reach and raid a cupboard full of packaged food! (He WAS well fed!)

I finally rigged up a metal screen grid to lay on the counter that was hooked up to a small electric fence charger (for rabbits, so quite gentle). The charger was turned down so low it barely tickled, but the tickle freaked the cat out. And he seemed to hate the slight smell of ozone that came from the charger (not the grid). Took about a week before kitty left the kitchen counter alone forever (that does mean FIFTY or more attempts!).

However, the metal grid had to later be re-configured for the dining table, then the china shelfs, then the yearly christmas tree. He NEVER got over an unprotected christmas tree. "Bosco" was the most adventurous cat I've ever met, but a slow learner.

Last edited:
Because the 522/625 makes that putt putt noise really loud, it probably likes that lol.

Heck if I know, but cat hair + fans = ewwwwww

I have a 510 and my cat has been laying on it for about 4 years now and again. I have 2 cats but only the one lays on it. I have told her several times not to do it. She just looks at me and squints as if to say, "You woke me up for this? I'll get off when I'm ready thanks."

mine started to watch TV after i got my LCD and HD. never paid any attention to it before that.
kind of fond of Animal Planet.

bruce

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)