My locals in HD when?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've heard Dish will try to have the top 50 markets in HD this year, but has anyone heard a time frame on the rest of the markets.

I am in the Chattanooga, TN market (I think we are in the 80's something market), just curious on how long it will be until I can receive HD locals WITHOUT an antenna.

With Echostar 10 launched this week and to be in service sometime in April, more HD locals should start to come faster, you are 86 on population list. I think they will have more then 50 up before end of year.

If you can presently get your locals via an antenna, you might want to consider staying with that method. For one thing, it will be cheaper. For another, it will likely be higher quality.

Tom Bombadil said:
If you can presently get your locals via an antenna, you might want to consider staying with that method. For one thing, it will be cheaper. For another, it will likely be higher quality.

Well I'm already paying Dish for my locals because I can't receive them all with my antenna. So it should not cost anymore.

Also, the big ugly antenna on the back of my house is not so great to look at every day. It would be nice to eliminate it.

They are not going strictly by the top 50 DMA list. The following are top 50 DMA's that weren't included in their initial list.

12. Tampa, FL
28. Hartford, CT
32. Columbus, OH
34. Cincinnati, OH
38. West Palm Beach, FL
39. Grand Rapids, MI
40. Birmingham, AL
41. Harrisburg, PA
47. Greensboro, NC
48. Las Vegas, NV

I'd like to see the schedule for Hartford.

Tom Bombadil said:
If you can presently get your locals via an antenna, you might want to consider staying with that method. For one thing, it will be cheaper.
I thought that if you didn't pay for the standard locals, Dish prevents your OTA (digital) locals from appearing in the set-top's program guide (and therefore prevents you from recording them on DVRs) ??

hall said:
I thought that if you didn't pay for the standard locals, Dish prevents your OTA (digital) locals from appearing in the set-top's program guide (and therefore prevents you from recording them on DVRs) ??

It doesn't prevent you from recording. You can still record with a manual timer. It just makes it difficult/inconvenient.

fs2685 said:
They are not going strictly by the top 50 DMA list. The following are top 50 DMA's that weren't included in their initial list.

12. Tampa, FL
28. Hartford, CT
32. Columbus, OH
34. Cincinnati, OH
38. West Palm Beach, FL
39. Grand Rapids, MI
40. Birmingham, AL
41. Harrisburg, PA
47. Greensboro, NC
48. Las Vegas, NV

I'd like to see the schedule for Hartford.

Bastards!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I saw on the list that my locals, Monterey/Salinas are 125 on the list. I'm in an area that can't get ANY ota channels whatsoever. Never could. I was able to get the SF locals in 1995 and have had them ever since. Does anybody know if when the SF locals go HD I'll be able to get the hd channels? Anybody know what satellite they are going to be on, they should be coming up pretty soon? When the local Monterey/Salinas channels came up they made me take them, but if I can't get SF locals in HD then I'll be dropping the whole slew of locals and distant locals and I'll be going to D* for my hd locals. D* says I'm elgible for the HD locals since I live in a "white area".

I really don't want to do it but if that is what I have to do I will.

Tim

Why not just use a friend's address a little further north so you can subscribe to the SF HD locals. Remember that neither system carries any PBS HD and neither carries FSN HD broadcasts. The latter is only on cable, I believe.

...mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)