NBA 2008-09 Season

mail

6. Another team I am impressed with are the Miami Heat. They have a great young nucleus around D.Wade including Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasley, Daequon Cook and Udonis Haslem. The only player that just doesn't seem to fit is Shawn Marion. Watching a Heat game the other night, he just looked out of place and without any roll on the team. In a few years this team will be scary though. The Heat are one true center away from being considered legit.

this young nucleus is improving every week no doubt. but they still need to step it up some more and take away some of the load off of wades shoulders. The stats like 28ppg are nice and everything but he needs more help and i believe they have good parts in place but they need to further step it up. Chalmers and Cook have become quick favorites of mine.If they blossom to something great i hope miami finds a way to keep them. I still hate that we let go of kapono and posey!

. A team that is flying under the radar and getting little recognition is the Orlando Magic. Since starting 0-2, the Magic are 24-4. They were the 3rd seed in the East last year and are giving up 6 fewer points this year. Much of this has to do with Dwight Howard developing into a dominating defender. Jameer Nelson seems to be coming into his own at the Point. Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu (both 6'10") have a second talent in 3-point shooting. Their only weakness is that the Magic tend to rely too heavily on the outside shot at times. They'll have to develop a more flexible offensive plan if they want success in the playoffs.

I have always thought that this is one of THE best teams in the NBA that just about EVERYONE is ignoring. Not because of the great talent, but I am a true believer in Stan Van Gundy, to me, one of THE top 10 and quite possibly top 5 coaches in the NBA right now. All this talk about the Cavs and the Celtics, this could be the sleeper rep in the NBA finals.

5. The Nuggets are now 19-8 with Billups. The Pistons are 13-11 with "The Answer". I know it's a tired comparison, but someone had to update you between the two.

Last I saw, it was the Denver Nuggets and not the Denver BILLUPS and the Detroit Pistons and not the Detroit IVERSONS. AND remember, the record of WHOLE season is what will count towards the playoffs, not since the players got to their new teams. AND last I checked.....Denver is 20-12 and Detroit is 18-11, just about a tied...with Denver holding a .004 percentage points advantage.:rolleyes:;)

6. Another team I am impressed with are the Miami Heat. They have a great young nucleus around D.Wade including Mario Chalmers, Michael Beasley, Daequon Cook and Udonis Haslem. The only player that just doesn't seem to fit is Shawn Marion. Watching a Heat game the other night, he just looked out of place and without any roll on the team. In a few years this team will be scary though. The Heat are one true center away from being considered legit.

I have said all season that this team will NOT be the stepping stone they were last year and will EASILY win at least 35 games this year. IF they can either get a heathly 'Zo back or pick up a decent center with the mid range exemption, they will end up being either a 6 or maybe even a 5 seed in the playoffs when all is said and done. And Shawn Marion WILL be traded by trade deadline. They are gonna give this kid Dorrell Wright thsi VERY last chance to make his mark, plus this trade will trade up an ENORMOUS about of cap space to the huge amount they already have(gotta find where I read that the Heat will have the 2nd best amount of cap space at the end of this season). As far as showing signs of playoff possibilities, this team is ahead of schedule and definately in the right direction.

I am a true believer in Stan Van Gundy, to me, one of THE top 10 and quite possibly top 5 coaches in the NBA right now.

True, when you consider he took Miami to one game of the Finals in 2005 and got screwed out of a title in 2006 (Yes, Miami won, but Gundy SHOULD have had a ring)

True, when you consider he took Miami to one game of the Finals in 2005 and got screwed out of a title in 2006 (Yes, Miami won, but Gundy SHOULD have had a ring)

He also has this 15 minute segment almost daily in one of the local sports talk show...and I have never heard a coach with more incite about life and more down to Earth and to the point than this guy....

1. A team that is flying under the radar and getting little recognition is the Orlando Magic. Since starting 0-2, the Magic are 24-4. They were the 3rd seed in the East last year and are giving up 6 fewer points this year. Much of this has to do with Dwight Howard developing into a dominating defender. Jameer Nelson seems to be coming into his own at the Point. Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu (both 6'10") have a second talent in 3-point shooting. Their only weakness is that the Magic tend to rely too heavily on the outside shot at times. They'll have to develop a more flexible offensive plan if they want success in the playoffs.

2. 11 Technical fouls for
Detroit's Rasheed Wallace already. If he reaches 16, it would mean an automatic suspension.

3. LeBron was asked about the Celtics the other night by a reporter. LeBron proceeded to rattle off the Celtics scheduled opponents between now and Jan. 9th when the teams meet again at the Q. Well, somebody's been paying attention to the team in front of them. Can you say "statement game"??

4. The Celtics actually looked mortal this week in losing 2 straight games. They proceeded to redeem themselves by annihilating the Kings 108-63 last night!!!
mail

5. The Nuggets are now 19-8 with Billups. The Pistons are 13-11 with "The Answer". I know it's a tired comparison, but someone had to update you between the two.
mail

7. Not a lot of joy in Washington these days. The team is gawd-awful at 4-21, they’re the worst squad in the Easter Conference and something needs to change. So, DeShawn Stevenson is stepping up....
Stevenson, who’s shooting a ghastly 31.7% from the field, asked his coach to bring him off the bench. (From the Washington Post). Uh, yeah. This is the guy who called LeBron overrated?! What an idiot!
mail

8. I just looked at the Oklahoma City Thunder's starting lineup: Russel Westbrook, Damien Wilkens, Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Johan Petro! Besides Durant, has anyone seriously heard of any of these guys?!

9. Interesting tidbit. Boston, Cleveland and the Lakers are the top 3 for attendance on the road. Detroit, Chicago and Portland are the top 3 in attendance at home.

10. Unless you count Eddy Curry and Stephon Marbury, neither of whom has played a single, solitary second this season, there are no New York Knicks on the All-Star ballot. This team remains a joke.

11. When will Mike D'Antoni realize that he doesn't have the shooters he did in Phoenix and will he ever learn to teach the game of defense? The Knicks take more shots than any other team in the league. They play like Middle School children. Their entire game plan consists of jacking up as many shots as possible in hopes of outscoring their opponents without exerting a lick of effort on the other end. Poor Spike Lee. I feel bad that he's subjected to such awful basketball night in and night out.

Orlando appeared on Detroit's radar screen last night, and were promptly shot down. As for Wallace, what else is new? This happens every year. He need his rest too.

1. A team that is flying under the radar and getting little recognition is the Orlando Magic. Since starting 0-2, the Magic are 24-4. They were the 3rd seed in the East last year and are giving up 6 fewer points this year. Much of this has to do with Dwight Howard developing into a dominating defender. Jameer Nelson seems to be coming into his own at the Point. Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu (both 6'10") have a second talent in 3-point shooting. Their only weakness is that the Magic tend to rely too heavily on the outside shot at times. They'll have to develop a more flexible offensive plan if they want success in the playoffs.

2. 11 Technical fouls for
Detroit's Rasheed Wallace already. If he reaches 16, it would mean an automatic suspension.

3. LeBron was asked about the Celtics the other night by a reporter. LeBron proceeded to rattle off the Celtics scheduled opponents between now and Jan. 9th when the teams meet again at the Q. Well, somebody's been paying attention to the team in front of them. Can you say "statement game"??

4. The Celtics actually looked mortal this week in losing 2 straight games. They proceeded to redeem themselves by annihilating the Kings 108-63 last night!!!
mail

mail

7. Not a lot of joy in Washington these days. The team is gawd-awful at 4-21, they’re the worst squad in the Easter Conference and something needs to change. So, DeShawn Stevenson is stepping up....
Stevenson, who’s shooting a ghastly 31.7% from the field, asked his coach to bring him off the bench. (From the Washington Post). Uh, yeah. This is the guy who called LeBron overrated?! What an idiot!
mail

8. I just looked at the Oklahoma City Thunder's starting lineup: Russel Westbrook, Damien Wilkens, Kevin Durant, Jeff Green and Johan Petro! Besides Durant, has anyone seriously heard of any of these guys?!

9. Interesting tidbit. Boston, Cleveland and the Lakers are the top 3 for attendance on the road. Detroit, Chicago and Portland are the top 3 in attendance at home.

10. Unless you count Eddy Curry and Stephon Marbury, neither of whom has played a single, solitary second this season, there are no New York Knicks on the All-Star ballot. This team remains a joke.

11. When will Mike D'Antoni realize that he doesn't have the shooters he did in Phoenix and will he ever learn to teach the game of defense? The Knicks take more shots than any other team in the league. They play like Middle School children. Their entire game plan consists of jacking up as many shots as possible in hopes of outscoring their opponents without exerting a lick of effort on the other end. Poor Spike Lee. I feel bad that he's subjected to such awful basketball night in and night out.

Orlando appeared on Detroit's radar screen last night, and were promptly shot down. As for Wallace, what else is new? This happens every year. He needs his rest too.

Cavs @ Miami: Take 2

7:30pm, NBA TV

Happy 24th to the L-Train! Throw the hammer down young man!

And now for another LBJ highlight. The "no regard for human life dunk"..... :eek:

051208_lebron.jpg

Miami 104
Cleveland 95

....so endith the lesson...!;)

;)

Good game last night. We made our run late in the 3rd to close within 1, but your Heat just couldn't miss from the field in the 4th. This was a case of digging a hole too early. In the end, the Cavs just couldn't overcome.

1st time in 16 games the Cavs gave up 100 or more points. Hats off to Miami.

Good game last night. We made our run late in the 3rd to close within 1, but your Heat just couldn't miss from the field in the 4th. This was a case of digging a hole too early. In the end, the Cavs just couldn't overcome.

I think Cleveland was bound to lose a game. They're not going to win 40 in a row.

This was a COMPLETE team effort! In the game in Cleveland, the Heat had a nice 10 point lead in the 4th...and they sat around and waited for Wade to carry them to victory...and sat..and sat and sat. Cleveland ended the game with some ridiculous 16-0 run of some kind and ended the game. THIS TIME, they team responded.

I think Cleveland was bound to lose a game. They're not going to win 40 in a row.

Good point Sabres. Can't win em all! ;)

Besides, take nothing away from the Heat. They are an excellent team. The Heat and Orlando Magic are similar teams. Both have great outside shooting and when their shooters catch fire, they're near unstoppable.

Got a couple of quick thoughts on the NBA myself:

1. Since the Thunder are a lock to draft #1 overall, who is the top prize in the 2009 draft?

2. Minnesota blew a 29-point lead to the Mavericks. No wonder K.G. wanted out of there!

3. Why did the NBA put a franchise in Charlotte? They can't win, lose a lot, and dissapoint despite having a decent group of players.

4. Portland beat the Celtics last night. Denver and Utah better be careful- the Blazers are hot on their trail.

5. Wizards lose again. Will they fire two coaches? They may need an interim interim coach!

1. Since the Thunder are a lock to draft #1 overall, who is the top prize in the 2009 draft? Not too into College Basketball just yet, but I'd imagine that crazy eyed kid from UNC would be up there.

2. Minnesota blew a 29-point lead to the Mavericks. No wonder K.G. wanted out of there! Much love for Minny. The last time we played there, the crowd gave LeBron a standing ovation when he left the court after an awesome performance.

3. Why did the NBA put a franchise in Charlotte? They can't win, lose a lot, and dissapoint despite having a decent group of players. North Carolinans love their basketball. Look at all the storied college teams in that state.

4. Portland beat the Celtics last night. Denver and Utah better be careful- the Blazers are hot on their trail. Oden and the Boys out in the North West are scary good.

5. Wizards lose again. Will they fire two coaches? They may need an interim interim coach! I love that the Wiz are so bad. I wonder if Antwan Jamison (expiring contract) will be traded this year??

HD, I also want to clear up my perception of the Cavs/Wizs rivalry you mention:

You bring up the heated emotions and close play, which is a good point.

However, I have a good theory as to why it's not a rivalry.

Sports rivalries are supposed to go back-and-forth- give-and-take, if you will, like Army/Navy and Patriots/Colts.

One or the other has won big games. Washington has NEVER beaten Cleveland when it counted the most.

Sure, they won a game or two in their playoff series, but the bottom line is- Cleveland OWNS Washington. Rivalries are give-and-take things that ebb-and-flow.

I said it once and I'll say it again- Wizards/Cavs is basketball's equivalent of the Roadrunner and the Coyote, with LBJ going beep-beep.

The only more lopsided thing in sports between two teams is the Redskins always beating the Lions in D.C.

I love that the Wiz are so bad. I wonder if Antwan Jamison (expiring contract) will be traded this year??

I wonder what it'd take for the Cavs to get him....Varajao & Szerbiak & ?????. I'd love to see him in a Cavs uniform!

Read an article on SI.com about the Cavs' title hopes, and two things stood out:

1. The article called LBJ "the first truly iconic athlete to play in Cleveland since Jim Brown."

Is that a bit of a stretch?

2. The article also said that "it has to happen at some point. Cleveland has to win. Charlie Brown won. Susan Lucci won. Peyton Manning won. The Chicago White Sox won. Philadelphia won."

Thoughts to Ponder:1,000 Post Edition

HD for ESPN GamePlan?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)