NBA 2008-09 Season

Just an FYI, that Cavs-Lakers game will be part of a special TNT tripleheader for Monday's MLK holiday.

5:30et- Detroit at Memphis

8:00et- Phoenix at Boston

10:30et- Cleveland at Lakers

Awesome. However I may have to DVR this one and watch the next day as I probably won't be able to stay up that late and watch it in it's entirety.

And besides the missed dunk, he didn;t play all that bad. Did you see the play where he missed the dunk? I wonder if it was a case of rust, or if the knee injury has taken away a big part of his game.

Yeah, he looked like he can still play, especially considering he supposedly had a career threatening lingering injury and all.

Well, D.WADE, continued his MVP pace by doing a 31 point, 8 rebs, 8 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks night and bring Miami back from a double digit deficit against what was looking like a hot Minnesota team that had won 5 straight.

But this team is still looking like a early incarnation of the Chicago Bulls teams a couple of years BEFORE the big championship run:

One MAJOR star and a few nice pieces, but just not enough to make a serious run to go deep into the playoffs.

IF the Heat make the playoffs, D.Wade WILL BE the NBA MVP. Mark my words. IF THEY DO NOT, he will be a VERY close 2nd to whomever has the best regular season record for either Kobe, Lebron or Pierce.

IF the Heat make the playoffs, D.Wade WILL BE the NBA MVP. Mark my words. IF THEY DO NOT, he will be a VERY close 2nd to whomever has the best regular season record for either Kobe, Lebron or Pierce.

Even with the Heat in the playoffs, he will still finish second to LeBron, that is if both continue on their current pace. Sorry to piss in your Salsa. ;) :D

Well, D.WADE, continued his MVP pace by doing a 31 point, 8 rebs, 8 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks night and bring Miami back from a double digit deficit against what was looking like a hot Minnesota team that had won 5 straight.

That aint nothing. ;) :D

The Chosen One had a triple double last night!

30pts, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 3 steals and 1 block

Even with the Heat in the playoffs, he will still finish second to LeBron, that is if both continue on their current pace.

Your Crazy! LeBron and the Cavs came off a very good season and ARE expected to challenge for an NBA championship. The D.Wade and the Heat on the other hand, were coming off a 15 win season and season ending surgery. IF they even SNIFF a possible playoffs, he will finish NO WORSE than 2nd place. IF they make the playoffs...he will win...not easy, but comfortable.

Your Crazy! LeBron and the Cavs came off a very good season and ARE expected to challenge for an NBA championship. The D.Wade and the Heat on the other hand, were coming off a 15 win season and season ending surgery. IF they even SNIFF a possible playoffs, he will finish NO WORSE than 2nd place. IF they make the playoffs...he will win...not easy, but comfortable.

Look, D-Wade is a good player. A great player even. The Heat were lousy last year without D-Wade. When he came back, they were expected to be better. That was a given.

They're both having a good season, but I still give LBJ the edge. Maybe D-Wade will get "comeback player of the year".

Look, D-Wade is a good player. A great player even. The Heat were lousy last year without D-Wade. When he came back, they were expected to be better. That was a given.

They're both having a good season, but I still give LBJ the edge. Maybe D-Wade will get "comeback player of the year".

Why? I am gonna use the same logic as the NFL instant replay....give me something conclusive that tells me that he IF the Cavs did NOT have LB, they STILL might make the playoffs...and IF DWade were not with the Heat...they MIGHT win 20 games....

Why? I am gonna use the same logic as the NFL instant replay....give me something conclusive that tells me that he IF the Cavs did NOT have LB, they STILL might make the playoffs...and IF DWade were not with the Heat...they MIGHT win 20 games....

You seriously don't remember the Cavs prior to LeBron?

Since we're debating LeBron vs. D-Wade for MVP, let me give you a very substantial reason why I think LeBron is clearly the run away choice......

1. LeBron James is having the best season in modern NBA history.

This may seem like a preposterous statement, highly subjective without reasonable supporting evidence. But no, it is real and can be backed up, and his pursuit of history ought to be followed as this season develops. Right now, James is even performing at a higher level statistically than Michael Jordan ever did!

I credit an important statistic that is essentially an equalizer in comparing NBA players. That stat is known as PER or "Player Efficiency Rating".

PER factors in positive accomplishments, such as field goals, free throws, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Then it deducts negative plays such as missed shots, turnovers and personal fouls. It also counts stats on a per-minute basis and factors in the pace or number of possessions per game. This is so players are not penalized for being on teams that play slower.

You can look at LeBron's stat line this season and see he's averaging 27.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.7 assists. These numbers all represent a drop from last season and that may lead some to deduce he's not playing as well.

In fact, there already is a bit of a groundswell for Dwyane Wade, who is having a remarkable comeback season with the Miami Heat, to be the early Most Valuable Player favorite as he's taken over the scoring lead from James this season.

But look at the PER statistic and see just what James is doing.

Because he's shooting the best percentages of his career from the field (51 percent) and the foul line (79 percent), his steals are up and turnovers are down, all in significantly fewer minutes, James is having a monster season in terms of efficiency.

His PER is 32.82 after 36 games. What does that mean? Well, for one, he's about 10 percent better than any other player in the league. New Orleans' Chris Paul is second at just over 30. Last season, James led the NBA with a 29.23 PER, which was still one of the best ever.

The highest rating of all time belongs to Jordan, who had a 31.71 PER in 1987-88. PER stats go back to 1973-74, when stats like offensive rebounds, steals and blocks were first kept.

Sure, these are just numbers and cannot account for overall defense, leadership ability, and intensity. But nobody is questioning James on any of those these days, either.

........I rest my case my friend. As myself and 20,000+ fans chanted last Friday night at Quicken Loans Arena: "M-V.-P" ...."M-V-P" ....."M-V-P"!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Two questions...

1. Do you think the Cavs would trade Lebron for Wade even up?

2. Do you think the Heat would trade Wade for Lebron even up?

Take contracts, etc., out of the equation and assume the teams are only trying to do their best to win this year and next year.

I think it's pretty clear.

Sandra

Since we're debating LeBron vs. D-Wade for MVP, let me give you a very substantial reason why I think LeBron is clearly the run away choice......

This may seem like a preposterous statement, highly subjective without reasonable supporting evidence. But no, it is real and can be backed up, and his pursuit of history ought to be followed as this season develops. Right now, James is even performing at a higher level statistically than Michael Jordan ever did!

I credit an important statistic that is essentially an equalizer in comparing NBA players. That stat is known as PER or "Player Efficiency Rating".

PER factors in positive accomplishments, such as field goals, free throws, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Then it deducts negative plays such as missed shots, turnovers and personal fouls. It also counts stats on a per-minute basis and factors in the pace or number of possessions per game. This is so players are not penalized for being on teams that play slower.

You can look at LeBron's stat line this season and see he's averaging 27.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6.7 assists. These numbers all represent a drop from last season and that may lead some to deduce he's not playing as well.

In fact, there already is a bit of a groundswell for Dwyane Wade, who is having a remarkable comeback season with the Miami Heat, to be the early Most Valuable Player favorite as he's taken over the scoring lead from James this season.

Because he's shooting the best percentages of his career from the field (51 percent) and the foul line (79 percent), his steals are up and turnovers are down, all in significantly fewer minutes, James is having a monster season in terms of efficiency.

His PER is 32.82 after 36 games. What does that mean? Well, for one, he's about 10 percent better than any other player in the league. New Orleans' Chris Paul is second at just over 30. Last season, James led the NBA with a 29.23 PER, which was still one of the best ever.

The highest rating of all time belongs to Jordan, who had a 31.71 PER in 1987-88. PER stats go back to 1973-74, when stats like offensive rebounds, steals and blocks were first kept.

Sure, these are just numbers and cannot account for overall defense, leadership ability, and intensity. But nobody is questioning James on any of those these days, either.

........I rest my case my friend. As myself and 20,000+ fans chanted last Friday night at Quicken Loans Arena: "M-V.-P" ...."M-V-P" ....."M-V-P"!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I agree, to THIS POINT, that LeBron is the MVP.

But to label him "clearly the run away choice" is a bit hyperbolic, IMO.

Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant and Paul Pierce are all in the rear view mirror.

Two questions...

Take contracts, etc., out of the equation and assume the teams are only trying to do their best to win this year and next year.

Sandra

Well stated.

You seriously don't remember the Cavs prior to LeBron?

Yes....but that was then....we are talking NOW....right NOW...the Cavs would have a better than 50-50 chance of making the playoffs. NOW, if the Heat do NOT have Wade...they MAY win 20 games.

...and "a good player...even a great player"??!! Seriously....SERIOUSLY??!! He is EASILY one of the TOP 3 players IN THE WORLD. The order of WHO is best depends on WHO YOU LIKE...or who you DON'T LIKE.

I hate to interrupt this fascinating D-Wade cs. LBJ discussion, but...

Detroit not looking so hot- 3 losses in their last 4 games.

IMO, Pistons are in trouble- they have no chance to catch Cleveland for the division title. They may have to do something they'r not used to in the playoffs- play as the road team.

Pistons are only a half-game ahead of Atlanta for fourth- IMO, they looking like a team that is one-and-done.

...and "a good player...even a great player"??!! Seriously....SERIOUSLY??!! He is EASILY one of the TOP 3 players IN THE WORLD. The order of WHO is best depends on WHO YOU LIKE...or who you DON'T LIKE.

Wade is in the discussion, but is not EASILY one of the top three players in the world. It's partly because of his height.

There are a lot of others who are also part of that discussion. Wade is just one of them.

Again...can the Cavs win the championship right now? Yes.

Trade Lebron for Wade and can Wade lead the Cavs to the championship? No way.

Same goes for Kobe Bryant, so Wade is third at best...he's in the discussion for third, anyway.

Sandra

According to Lebron James. Have him win the NBA championship, win Defensive Player of the Year, lead his team to the Best record in the NBA AND win NBA Finals MVP...and then come talk to me. Until then, he is have a GREAT year....

Read my 1st answer....

...Oh and by the way, when the Heat beat the Lakers a few weeks back in Miami...we had just as many people saying the same thing....:rolleyes:

And I am sure, the same could be said about Pierce in Boston and a few in other areas as well with their local stud. So people chanting what the HOME TEAM thinks means ABOSLUTLEY NOTHING....I suppose if they chanted YOUR NAME followed by the phrase...."is a tool"...does that mean it's true?;)

Two questions...

Sandra

1. NO
2. NO

Neither team would do it for either practical reason nor PR reason.

Thoughts to Ponder:1,000 Post Edition

HD for ESPN GamePlan?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)