NCAA Football 2007-08

Guys, the fact that 17 out of 18 teams in your conference goes to a bowl game means NOTHING.....
When the start to make it so you have to actually have a good season to go to a bowl, like it use to be, then we can talk.
IF your palying a 12 game season, I feel a 6-6 team is ordinay and should NOT be going to a bowl.
I feel that you should have at least 8 wins (not AA) in order to go bowling.
Then we can get rid of alot of the garbage bowls that no one wants to see any way.

While we are at it, lets do away with the MONEY hungry Conference Championship games and make ALL TEAMS end their season on the SAME weekend.
If they all end thier season by the first weekend in Dec or by Dec 1st, we could fit a playoff in quite nicely.

Jimbo

Guys, the fact that 17 out of 18 teams in your conference goes to a bowl game means NOTHING.....
When the start to make it so you have to actually have a good season to go to a bowl, like it use to be, then we can talk.
IF your palying a 12 game season, I feel a 6-6 team is ordinay and should NOT be going to a bowl.
I feel that you should have at least 8 wins (not AA) in order to go bowling.
Then we can get rid of alot of the garbage bowls that no one wants to see any way.

While we are at it, lets do away with the MONEY hungry Conference Championship games and make ALL TEAMS end their season on the SAME weekend.
If they all end thier season by the first weekend in Dec or by Dec 1st, we could fit a playoff in quite nicely.

Jimbo

And you have a VERY valid point Jim. But, the fact remains, the Big Ten had the same 6-6 "curve" as ANYONE ELSE...and they STILL didn't get as many teams in bowls as did the SEC. NONE of the SEC 6-6 MADE a bowl.

Exams is not a viable excuse ....
Every other division handles it fine, including Basketball.

Buckeye are having exams before they travel ...

Jimbo

And that's how Ohio State does it Jim.....so what? Not everyone can fit their schedule that way. What is the BIG deal, EVERYONE litterally gets the same almost 4-6 weeks off.

And you have a VERY valid point Jim. But, the fact remains, the Big Ten had the same 6-6 "curve" as ANYONE ELSE...and they STILL didn't get as many teams in bowls as did the SEC. NONE of the SEC 6-6 MADE a bowl.

I haven't even looked to see what BT teams went to bowls other than OSU, M and Ill.

I stick to MY plan, although it will not get heard any higher than this forum, because they (Univ head honchos) are happy with the way it is already.

Jimbo

I haven't even looked to see what BT teams went to bowls other than OSU, M and Ill.

I stick to MY plan, although it will not get heard any higher than this forum, because they (Univ head honchos) are happy with the way it is already.

Jimbo

OF COURSE they are happy....they are making hundreds of millions of dollars and at college kids expense. When I went to college, an athlete was NOT EVEN ALLOWED to have a part time job to ear a little money??!!:eek: Coming from a very poor family....anyone who thought a scholarship "was enough" was on drugs.

NO,
That was Michigan State that dropped them.

Jimbo
You're right, it was Michigan State, but after the Spartans dropped them, they tried to get a game with Michigan who scheduled App State instead.

"Hawaii scrambled to schedule name opponents including Michigan, Indiana and several Pac-10 schools.
Michigan opted to face Appalachian State instead. Other schools declined."

Unbeaten Hawaii makes noise, but is anybody listening? | WFAA.com | Sports: Colleges: Other National Schools

And that's how Ohio State does it Jim.....so what? Not everyone can fit their schedule that way. What is the BIG deal, EVERYONE litterally gets the same almost 4-6 weeks off.

I agree, My point is, if you have to take your exam, why does it have to do anything with the time of the bowl games, have them earlier or later.

Jimbo

You're right, it was Michigan State, but after the Spartans dropped them, they tried to get a game with Michigan who scheduled App State instead.

"Hawaii scrambled to schedule name opponents including Michigan, Indiana and several Pac-10 schools.

Unbeaten Hawaii makes noise, but is anybody listening? | WFAA.com | Sports: Colleges: Other National Schools

You see how that turned out didn't ya :eek:

Jimbo

That argument would be fine and dandy, but how many Big 10 schools went?
IF the Big Ten had as many team, then you have argument....

Couldn't care less if all eleven teams went. Salsa, you of all people should understand what I was saying. You are always talking about conference play being so hard. If anything I'm expanding on that point. Like I said, most non-conference sched's are filled with tune up games against weaker teams, from small schools, who are more than willing to collect a big payday for being nothing much more than a scrimmage partner. This is not a Big Ten against the rest of the conferences thing, just a statement of how easy it is to win 6 games, when 3 come against teams that are just happy to be there. Michigan at least had Oregon and Notre Dame (well they used to be good) on their non-conference schedule, and used to play another prominent school until the realities of trying to compete for a national championship while other schools that played 4 patsies set in. Sorry, 6 wins is just not very impressive. I don't think a bowl game should be the reward for playing .500 football.

OF COURSE they are happy....they are making hundreds of millions of dollars and at college kids expense. When I went to college, an athlete was NOT EVEN ALLOWED to have a part time job to ear a little money??!!:eek: Coming from a very poor family....anyone who thought a scholarship "was enough" was on drugs.

Life's a bitch. They give you a scholarship, a chance to get a degree on their dime, you get to play the sport you love, a roof over your head, travel to places you never been, etc..... Oh please......I'm sure your life was ruined by the experience. Tell me where to send the check.:D

This is the first I'm hearing about this,and it certainly doesn't jive with any accounts I've heard about how Michigan came to play Apppalachian State. Who the hell wants to fly10 hours to play a football game (well maybe a Bowl game) anyhow?

Life's a bitch. They give you a scholarship, a chance to get a degree on their dime, you get to play the sport you love, a roof over your head, travel to places you never been, etc..... Oh please......I'm sure your life was ruined by the experience. Tell me where to send the check.:D

Ok....:rolleyes: TOO tired to argue this one....

Now , I'd like all the teams in the bowl games to take a month and a half off and THEN be ready for a game. This way we'll see what the rest of the country looks like with 50 days off between games.

Jimbo

Big Ten decided to let it's schools schedule games for the last weekend of November, to restore the bye-week lost when the NCAA added the extra game last year. About time.

This is the first I'm hearing about this,and it certainly doesn't jive with any accounts I've heard about how Michigan came to play Apppalachian State. Who the hell wants to fly10 hours to play a football game (well maybe a Bowl game) anyhow?

Alvarez. He played Hawaii a couple times after he got to Wisconsin. I think it was to give the fans a trip because when he first got here there weren't any bowl games we were going to. It also gave the National W Club a chance to sell overpriced trips to alumni to make some money. It used to be an easy win, too. Hawaii has screwed that part up lately. Hawaii's nothing as far as a trip goes. Wisconsin locked up Alvarez's first trip to the Rose Bowl by beating Michigan State in Tokyo.

Salsa's right. College athletes work damn hard for their free education.

Big Ten decided to let it's schools schedule games for the last weekend of November, to restore the bye-week lost when the NCAA added the extra game last year. About time.

I heard that too today.
Now they need to make it so the seasons ALL end on the same weekend. Outside of the 1 game Conference Championship for those conferences that are money starved and need the CC game to break even.

Jimbo

I heard that too today.
Now they need to make it so the seasons ALL end on the same weekend.
I say let the conferences do what they want. They know their member school schedules better than the NCAA. They should have the flexibility to do what's right for them.
Nobody forced the Big 10 to end earlier than the others in the past, so no one should force them to adapt to what others do, or vice versa.

This is why they suck

Joe Gibbs retires again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)