NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

This week proved that "polls" are useless. Let's review: #1 USC - whipped by a nobody. Pre-season #1 Georgia - got their jocks handed to them by Alabama. How many other top 25 teams lost? And lets not forget MICHIGAN showing BIG 10 that they are still around. (Doing it the "old school" way, with defense.)
The "polls" go a big way to determining who plays in the BCS championship. No wonder there is so much dissension over who should be playing. Maybe in my lifetime we'll have a true championship determined by a playoff series, but somehow I doubt it.
Paul,
I agree with you.

Buckeyes have played 2 solid games and DROPPED in the polls each week.
Maybe Tressel will have to LEAVE the STARTERS IN THE WHOLE GAME to get back up in the polls.
They led 34-6 with 9 minutes left in the game, Minnesota scores 2 TD's lat with the 3 and 4th string guys in and win 34-21 , but that doesn't look good to the voters.

Meanwhile Georgia get shellacked in the first half 31-0 and losses and only drops to 10 and USC that got beat in every phase of the game on Thursday only drops to 9.

At this rate IF the Bucks beat Wisconsin next week they will drop to about 15-18.

The Polls are useless.

Jimbo

Hell has frozen over.

College Gameday (or as I call it, SEC Gameday), for this upcoming Saturday, is going to be in Vanderbilt.

Yes, you heard me. Vandy.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!!!

ESPN 'Game Day' heading to Vandy on Nashville City Paper

And, to top it off, they are playing the Auburn Tigers, with that pathetic offense.

This should be Sports Illustrated's 'Sign of the Apocaylpse.'

Nonetheless, I'll be rooting for the Commodores- Auburn is an overrated joke.

I guess Wisky's chokejob was an excuse for 'SEC Gameday' to ignore Buckeyes/Badgers and once again go to an SEC game and, which is all they'll do this season.

...Buckeyes have played 2 solid games and DROPPED in the polls each week.... and USC that got beat in every phase of the game on Thursday only drops to 9...

Jimbo

To be honest, they way the AP pollsters suck up to USC, dropping to #9 this week is a pretty significant drop.

Hell has frozen over.

College Gameday (or as I call it, SEC Gameday), for this upcoming Saturday, is going to be in Vanderbilt.

And, to top it off, they are playing the Auburn Tigers, with that pathetic offense.

I guess Wisky's chokejob was an excuse for 'SEC Gameday' to once again go to an SEC game, which is all they'll do this season.

I really don't care where Gameday decides to go....
It's starting to get cool up here, and it's much warmer down there, that probably why the old folks decided to go down south :D

Jimbo

Gameday in Nashville is crazy, but in their defense there no good places to visit. USC's embarassing loss prevented a return to LA, and Wisconsin's choke job yesterday poured cold water on their matchup with Ohio St. At least there is a compelling storyline surrounding Vandy this year and a win over a ranked, albeit overrated Auburn team, would only add to it.

Hell has frozen over.

I guess Wisky's chokejob was an excuse for 'SEC Gameday' to ignore Buckeyes/Badgers and once again go to an SEC game and, which is all they'll do this season.

In two weeks the Big12 powerhouses will finally start playing each other. ESPN will more than likely be at Texas vs. Oklahoma. You should be able to quit your bitching then - or will you still be whining about Texas being overrated? ;)

You should be able to quit your bitching then - or will you still be whining about Texas being overrated? ;)

First off, an SEC team has hosted 'Gameday' all but once this year- I like a little variety, if you will.

Second, I no longer consider Texas overrated- Auburn has taken over that distinction

Unlike Auburn, who I do consider overrated, the Longhorns can actually score points.

I was skeptical about Texas and Colt McCoy- now, I feel they are for real.

As for you, Florida's loss cost your Bayou Bengals a chance to make another 'Gameday' appearance. After Georgia got thumped, I think the Bama/LSU might be the one time 'Gameday' heads to Death Valley.

First off, an SEC team has hosted 'Gameday' all but once this year- I like a little variety, if you will.

Second, I no longer consider Texas overrated- Auburn has taken over that distinction

Unlike Auburn, who I do consider overrated, the Longhorns can actually score points.

I was skeptical about Texas and Colt McCoy- now, I feel they are for real.

As for you, Florida's loss cost your Bayou Bengals a chance to make another 'Gameday' appearance. After Georgia got thumped, I think the Bama/LSU might be the one time 'Gameday' heads to Death Valley.

You are correct...the Georgia ass kicking didn't help either. They were due to play in Baton Rouge Oct. 25.

Florida will be on their game when they play LSU. LSU then has to play South Carolina and Georgia before Bama comes rolling in. A 2 or 3 loss Tiger team might not be that attractive to Gameday. The only draw will be Saban's return to Death Valley.

Gameday in Nashville is crazy, but in their defense there no good places to visit. USC's embarassing loss prevented a return to LA, and Wisconsin's choke job yesterday poured cold water on their matchup with Ohio St. At least there is a compelling storyline surrounding Vandy this year and a win over a ranked, albeit overrated Auburn team, would only add to it.

Come on anders - you should be making a case for OUR game this week, for Gameday! Why not?

UConn @ UNC!!!

Come on anders - you should be making a case for OUR game this week, for Gameday! Why not?

UConn @ UNC!!!

I must have pulled a Rip Van Winkle....................Is it March Madness time already? ;) j/k

Seriously, I've watched both these teams play a couple of times each, and I'm looking forward to them playing each other. Should be a good one. :up

UConn @ UNC!!!

Not as big as Pitt @ USF, but unfortunately it's on Thursday night instead of Saturday.

BTW...Pitt will probably lose, until they get a new OC, they will never be a ranked team.

Kentucky is on the verge of the top 25. When they win next week, yes I know who they play, they will be in the top 25. :D

Kentucky is on the verge of the top 25. When they win next week, yes I know who they play, they will be in the top 25. :D
Haha, dream on Ramy!!!!

Honestly, I hope Bama doesnt overlook them or come off of this win flat. Should be a good game

Paul,
I agree with you.

Buckeyes have played 2 solid games and DROPPED in the polls each week.
Maybe Tressel will have to LEAVE the STARTERS IN THE WHOLE GAME to get back up in the polls.
They led 34-6 with 9 minutes left in the game, Minnesota scores 2 TD's lat with the 3 and 4th string guys in and win 34-21 , but that doesn't look good to the voters.

Meanwhile Georgia get shellacked in the first half 31-0 and losses and only drops to 10 and USC that got beat in every phase of the game on Thursday only drops to 9.

At this rate IF the Bucks beat Wisconsin next week they will drop to about 15-18.

The Polls are useless.

Jimbo

This is the major problem with the polls - no way, anybody could possibly see all the top 25 teams play (not to mention the next tier of teams), so they go by highlights and final scores, which don't tell the whole story. The only way to evaluate a team is by seeing them play. The only way to judge one team verses others is in head to head play. The polls are wrong almost every year.

Out of curiousity, for those of you's who posted your own rankings, how many of those teams did you actually see play this weekend? I'm not blasting your polls, or your right to post your opinions, Just wondering how you came to your rankings.

This week proved that "polls" are useless.

Well, it shows that pre-season polls are worthless. I'm not sure that it reflects that polls in general have no value, as we can get a much better idea of how good teams are once they've actually, y'know, played a lot of games.

Is Virginia Tech a legit BCS game threat or a fraud held back by a terrible offense?

IMO, their QB play is putrid- you CANNOT win a conference title on defense alone. You need to move the damn ball!

If you think their QB play is "putrid" you need to reevaluate. Taylor is a super-talented QB. He's been forced/encouraged to run way too much but can do that if necessary. And he is a very good passer. He throws a beautiful, catchable ball, leads receivers over the proper shoulder and has enough arm strength to make any throw. He has a rebuilding (but improving) O-line and receivers who combined had all of 3 career receptions going into the season. And, he had to split reps all Spring and into the Fall before the coaching staff inexplicably named Glennon the starter. That meant he got very few reps for 2 weeks in fall camp. Not to mention, the guy is a 19 year old true sophomore.

VT's offense is going to take time. All the skill players are inexperienced. Despite all that, they are a blocked kick away from being 5-0. And that's against a schedule in which every team they have played was undefeated going into the game.

Haha, dream on Ramy!!!!

Honestly, I hope Bama doesnt overlook them or come off of this win flat. Should be a good game

Hey, a guy can dream can't he? :D

Out of curiousity, for those of you's who posted your own rankings, how many of those teams did you actually see play this weekend? I'm not blasting your polls, or your right to post your opinions, Just wondering how you came to your rankings.

I watched a lot of games. I had 2 TV's in living room so I could watch more than one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)